shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with an Oval please

Hi there - this been reading this forum for a while now in the quest to buy an engagement ring in the UK. Thank you for all the helpful advice out there!

I'm a complete novice at this, and would love if someone could give a bit of feedback please on a couple of ovals I have found please:

https://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-details/LD19268712

https://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-details/LD18771347?refTab=DIAMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails

It's going to be set in yellow gold and I'm happy to be flexible with colour and inclusions as long as it looks great to the eye.

Thank you in advance! Would love to know if I'm missing something obivous.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
The first one has a yellow undertone and the second one has a brown if you are setting in yellow gold you may want to stick with yellow tones since brown in my opinion would be better suited for rose gold. Ovals show a lot of color and will not appear white in lower colors.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the faceting of the 1.7.

The 1.7 is an 8 main with the arrows going straight through the center. The 2.01 is an 8 main with the arrows offset from
the center. You can see this by looking at the clarity charismatics pavilion image on the GIA report (or just by looking at
the stones themselves). The 8 main going through the center pattern, in general*, do tend to have better light return. The 2.01
has typical light return with its faceting pattern. The arrows on the 1.7 are a little thicker than I* usually like but they will provide
for bigger flashes of light (because the facets are bigger). The 2.01 has more virtual facets outside of the 2 arrows (on both sides)
which can result in smaller twinkles or mushy areas if they don't return the light back out of the top of the stone.

Green lines are the arrows...red areas can be mushy.
snip 2.png

versus (dark green is arrows, light green is less virtual facets and less "mushy" than 2.01 stone)
snip 2.png

I hope you can tell/see what I'm talking about. Some of this can be personal preference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results