Votes: 3 60.0%
  • 7.5 - 8 mm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7.5 - 8 mm tennyo

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

MLiu

Rough_Rock
There is one strand in a circle in the middle being compared to one that is more stretched out. Are they both unlisted?

@yssie Do you think the 7-7.5 strand is such a good one that it would be hard to find something similar again? And which strand do you see as being the most pink?

I'm also wondering the same thing.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
If you're referring to this image the one on top is a 50% lustre just for comparison purposes with the unlisted 7 to 7.5mm

Thanks! I'm just trying to follow along to see if I'm seeing the same things as everyone else. :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie Do you think the 7-7.5 strand is such a good one that it would be hard to find something similar again? And which strand do you see as being the most pink?
I honestly don’t know! I’m hoping they’ll be able to send MLiu a comparison with a Granpearl strand for a somewhat objective luster check. Normally I would say not especially rare, outside of the usual rare-cause-high-quality - it’s an easy size bracket for akoya oysters - but with availability and competing market being what they are right now I just have no idea!

I mean - I sincerely doubt you won’t be able to find this sort of strand “ever again”, even if the market is bizarre for a couple years. 7-7.5 is just such an akoya sweet spot size - the oysters can easily grow this size range when they aren’t preoccupied with dying off. In the 9mm+ size bracket I’m starting to think “never again” might just be real, though ;(

MLiu

Rough_Rock
I honestly don’t know! I’m hoping they’ll be able to send MLiu a comparison with a Granpearl strand for a somewhat objective luster check. Normally I would say not especially rare, outside of the usual rare-cause-high-quality - it’s an easy size bracket for akoya oysters - but with availability and competing market being what they are right now I just have no idea!

I mean - I sincerely doubt you won’t be able to find this sort of strand “ever again”, even if the market is bizarre for a couple years. 7-7.5 is just such an akoya sweet spot size - the oysters can easily grow this size range when they aren’t preoccupied with dying off. In the 9mm+ size bracket I’m starting to think “never again” might just be real, though ;(
I did go ahead and request the comparison I'll have to wait and see. Also when asking about gem lustre general pearl said that isn't really a term heavily used in the Japanese market so the teri rating is the only thing I have to go off so I can't really compare.

I'm having the same problem but smaller. I prefer around 6mm with 7mm being the cap so this is a little larger than what I would prefer but it's the smallest size they have with those characteristics and Takahashi also does not have the size I'm looking for at the moment.

They do have some baby akoyas in a size I would like (4 to 4.5 mm gem lustre) but they are nearly round and I'm just not sure how I feel about that. I don't know how noticeable it would be IRL (Yy said not really noticeable when worn but I just don't know) I'm hoping they will have some more perfect round in the future. So I'm undecided on that at the moment. If you have any feedback in terms of baby akoyas and the near round shape please let me know because I do really want a strand of those.

It seems like it's pretty easy to find 8 to 8.5mm with amazing quality but I'm pretty small in terms of both height and weight so while those make work on an average sized person they look big on me and I just don't prefer the way they look on myself. I have a 6 to 6.5 and I feel like that's the perfect size for my frame and my particular taste. I also have a 7 to 7.5 and I do like it but I would prefer not to go larger than that. Which is why I'm considering the unlisted strand the most of all because I just don't prefer the larger size on myself.

I saw Annie case website and they have some akoya in the smaller range but I don't know much about them and something about using branding in the images that aren't their own bothers me for some reason. If anyone has feedback in them I'm open to learning more to open up my choice options.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
I did go ahead and request the comparison I'll have to wait and see. Also when asking about gem lustre general pearl said that isn't really a term heavily used in the Japanese market so the teri rating is the only thing I have to go off so I can't really compare.

I'm having the same problem but smaller. I prefer around 6mm with 7mm being the cap so this is a little larger than what I would prefer but it's the smallest size they have with those characteristics and Takahashi also does not have the size I'm looking for at the moment.

They do have some baby akoyas in a size I would like (4 to 4.5 mm gem lustre) but they are nearly round and I'm just not sure how I feel about that. I don't know how noticeable it would be IRL (Yy said not really noticeable when worn but I just don't know) I'm hoping they will have some more perfect round in the future. So I'm undecided on that at the moment. If you have any feedback in terms of baby akoyas and the near round shape please let me know because I do really want a strand of those.

It seems like it's pretty easy to find 8 to 8.5mm with amazing quality but I'm pretty small in terms of both height and weight so while those make work on an average sized person they look big on me and I just don't prefer the way they look on myself. I have a 6 to 6.5 and I feel like that's the perfect size for my frame and my particular taste. I also have a 7 to 7.5 and I do like it but I would prefer not to go larger than that. Which is why I'm considering the unlisted strand the most of all because I just don't prefer the larger size on myself.

I saw Annie case website and they have some akoya in the smaller range but I don't know much about them and something about using branding in the images that aren't their own bothers me for some reason. If anyone has feedback in them I'm open to learning more to open up my choice options.

Assuming your budget can stretch to 6-7k, there are two GRANPEARL options listed at Anniecase to consider:

7-7.5mm: 7.2k with earrings included
5.5-6mm: 6.3k natural white

MLiu

Rough_Rock
Assuming your budget can stretch to 6-7k, there are two GRANPEARL options listed at Anniecase to consider:

7-7.5mm: 7.2k with earrings included
5.5-6mm: 6.3k natural white

Definitely out of my budget but wishful thinking for the future

MLiu

Rough_Rock

Sooooo they were able to send an image over comparing with a Granpearl 7.5 - 8 mm strand with level 2 color (same level as the unlisted 7 - 7.5 mm strand) 100 teri (same as unlisted) but different blemish rating. Please tell me your thoughts.
Screenshot_20230607-231630_Photos.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230607-231637_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230607-231637_Photos.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 19

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooooo they were able to send an image over comparing with a Granpearl 7.5 - 8 mm strand with level 2 color (same level as the unlisted 7 - 7.5 mm strand) 100 teri (same as unlisted) but different blemish rating. Please tell me your thoughts.
Screenshot_20230607-231630_Photos.jpg

As Granpearl-esque on luster as one could hope for.

It’d be a winner for me. For you, if you’re okay with the colour/blemishing/price, it’s certainly a beautiful and very high quality strand.

MLiu

Rough_Rock

It’d be a winner for me. For you, if you’re okay with the colour/blemishing/price, it’s certainly a beautiful and very high quality strand.

Is it just me or does the unlisted seem cooler pink when compared with the Granpearl strand?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MLiu

Rough_Rock

What price point do you think is reasonable for the unlisted strand based on your experience?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What price point do you think is reasonable for the unlisted strand based on your experience?

This I can’t speak to at all, sorry! I’ve not bought in this size range, or from this vendor, and pricing is so dependent on market, vendor policies, location… If you’re in the US you could check domestic vendors for size comps but you’re looking at a higher quality strand than anything they’ll stock.

General Pearl’s pricing seems very reasonable in general. For whatever that’s worth.

MLiu

Rough_Rock
This I can’t speak to at all, sorry! I’ve not bought in this size range, or from this vendor, and pricing is so dependent on market, vendor policies, location… If you’re in the US you could check domestic vendors for size comps but you’re looking at a higher quality strand than anything they’ll stock.

General Pearl’s pricing seems very reasonable in general. For whatever that’s worth.

I feel like the price is reasonable but again I don't have much experience buying from overseas so I figured I would ask to be on the safe side. I can't thank you and everyone who has given feedback in this thread enough!

MLiu

Rough_Rock

Do you know anything about import taxes/custom duties to US from Japan?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know anything about import taxes/custom duties to US from Japan?

Fedex always charges me an import fee… It’s never been more than $120 USD. Usually 1/3-1/2 that. My state comptroller also sends me a bill for use tax (same amount as sales tax would have been) at the end of the quarter. I’m shipping from Japan to either NY or MD. The first couple of times I bought there was no FedEx fee and I didn’t realize the use tax charge was still to come, figured I could get away with filing myself at the end of the year - nope :lol:

MLiu

Rough_Rock
Fedex always charges me an import fee… It’s never been more than $120 USD. Usually 1/3-1/2 that. My state comptroller also sends me a bill for use tax (same amount as sales tax would have been) at the end of the quarter. I’m shipping from Japan to either NY or MD. The first couple of times I bought there was no FedEx fee and I didn’t realize the use tax charge was still to come, figured I could get away with filing myself at the end of the year - nope :lol:

Honestly this was something I didn't consider because I'm used to having everything factored in when purchasing so this is a little new to me. How will you know what you owe? Is it prior to delivery or upon delivery? I don't wanna get myself in trouble for something I don't understand.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly this was something I didn't consider because I'm used to having everything factored in when purchasing so this is a little new to me. How will you know what you owe? Is it prior to delivery or upon delivery? I don't wanna get myself in trouble for something I don't understand.

FedEx sends you a bill in the mail and you can pay it online. Usually takes 2-4 weeks. That bill will include your customs fee and any FedEx surcharges - FedEx acts as the customs broker for shipments from Japan. (Shipments from some other countries FedEx won’t and it’s a bigger hassle but Japan is zero problem). Nothing to worry about there.

If you don’t get an invoice from your state for use tax, you’ll just need to file it at the end of the year - it’s exactly the same tax rate as sales tax. NY and MD handle use tax filing very differently so I couldn’t say what your state wants you to do, it’s clearly not standardized at all! But it should be on your state gov website. Or at least that’ll tell you where to go for more info.

MLiu

Rough_Rock
FedEx sends you a bill in the mail and you can pay it online. Usually takes 2-4 weeks. That bill will include your customs fee and any FedEx surcharges - FedEx acts as the customs broker for shipments from Japan. (Shipments from some other countries FedEx won’t and it’s a bigger hassle but Japan is zero problem). Nothing to worry about there.

If you don’t get an invoice from your state for use tax, you’ll just need to file it at the end of the year - it’s exactly the same tax rate as sales tax. NY and MD handle use tax filing very differently so I couldn’t say what your state wants you to do, it’s clearly not standardized at all! But it should be on your state gov website. Or at least that’ll tell you where to go for more info.

They said they use UPS Parcel Pro with insurance. Have you heard of that or had any experience with it?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They said they use UPS Parcel Pro with insurance. Have you heard of that or had any experience with it?
Possibly, I don’t recall. Probably. UPS will also work as customs broker. Is there something you’re concerned about specifically? I promise if you owe import fees customs & border protection will find you - they won’t clear the package until they find you :bigsmile:

MLiu

Rough_Rock
Possibly, I don’t recall. Probably. UPS will also work as customs broker. Is there something you’re concerned about specifically? I promise if you owe import fees customs & border protection will find you - they won’t clear the package until they find you :bigsmile:

Worried I will somehow miss it and just anxious about the process and how it works I guess. Like do I have to go pick it up and pay for it there or do I pay online and then it gets delivered? I just don't know how it works basically.

MLiu

Rough_Rock

Also this is completely unrelated but how do you feel about slightly off round pearls if they're in a small size? I have a choice of gem lustre 4 to 4.5 nearly round or 5 to 5.5 round but less lustre. I asked the chances of waiting to get the smaller size with that lustre but round she said its hard because people come to buy them so quickly in person. So im not sure if I should wait it out or if the shape is not that visible if I should go ahead with near round? The lustre difference is pretty noticable between them when she put them side by side. 20230608_211123.jpg 20230608_211053.jpg

Attachments

• 20230608_211113.jpg
    20230608_211113.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230608-211745_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230608-211745_Instagram.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230608-211743_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230608-211743_Instagram.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230608-211742_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230608-211742_Instagram.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 12

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Worried I will somehow miss it and just anxious about the process and how it works I guess. Like do I have to go pick it up and pay for it there or do I pay online and then it gets delivered? I just don't know how it works basically.

You won’t miss anything important! You’re worrying way too much ❤️ I’d say just keep tracking your package. If tracking says customs clearance delay or something then reach out to both vendor and shipping company and they’ll tell you exactly what you need to do (most likely fill out some CBP forms, which they’ll email you). Anything customs related that you need to pay, you’ll get a bill in the mail and plenty of time so if you’re gone for a couple weeks or something it’s no problem. Anything use tax related that you need to pay, either your state comptroller will send you a bill (months later probs) or you can file it yourself (you can look up how to do that on your state’s gov website).

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also this is completely unrelated but how do you feel about slightly off round pearls if they're in a small size? I have a choice of gem lustre 4 to 4.5 nearly round or 5 to 5.5 round but less lustre. I asked the chances of waiting to get the smaller size with that lustre but round she said its hard because people come to buy them so quickly in person. So im not sure if I should wait it out or if the shape is not that visible if I should go ahead with near round? The lustre difference is pretty noticable between them when she put them side by side. 20230608_211123.jpg 20230608_211053.jpg

Luster wins for me! Those littles are very almost-round, they’ll read “round” when you wear them for sure. So it’s a mind clean thing more than a practical thing.

I wouldn’t get the 5s, the luster is clearly inferior.

MLiu

Rough_Rock
You won’t miss anything important! You’re worrying way too much ❤️ I’d say just keep tracking your package. If tracking says customs clearance delay or something then reach out to both vendor and shipping company and they’ll tell you exactly what you need to do (most likely fill out some CBP forms, which they’ll email you). Anything customs related that you need to pay, you’ll get a bill in the mail and plenty of time so if you’re gone for a couple weeks or something it’s no problem. Anything use tax related that you need to pay, either your state comptroller will send you a bill (months later probs) or you can file it yourself (you can look up how to do that on your state’s gov website).

So I don't actually need to physically go anywhere? I don't have a whole lot of free time because of my work schedule so that's one of my concerns. But if they reach out I think it should be alright. Thank you!

MLiu

Rough_Rock
Luster wins for me! Those littles are very almost-round, they’ll read “round” when you wear them for sure. So it’s a mind clean thing more than a practical thing.

I wouldn’t get the 5s, the luster is clearly inferior.

That's a good point. Thank you!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I don't actually need to physically go anywhere? I don't have a whole lot of free time because of my work schedule so that's one of my concerns. But if they reach out I think it should be alright. Thank you!

Nope! No physical travel needed. Any forms can be emailed, and any bill payments can be either mailed or paid online!

Cinders

Shiny_Rock

Thank you. Here's hoping the oysters eventually bounce back. Speaking of possibly never again, have you seen the 10+mm strand at Takahashi?

@MLiu It looks like you have a couple of very good options to consider. It's so fun to see the pictures of the contenders! It's a bit like shopping with friends. :)

MLiu

Rough_Rock
Thank you. Here's hoping the oysters eventually bounce back. Speaking of possibly never again, have you seen the 10+mm strand at Takahashi?

@MLiu It looks like you have a couple of very good options to consider. It's so fun to see the pictures of the contenders! It's a bit like shopping with friends. :)

I think so too! I did see that it's massive!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results