shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a Round Stone Selection

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

justcurious

Rough_Rock
I am looking at the following stone- can anyone tell me if there is anything I should be concerned about, (i.e. the girdle or culet) and if this looks like a good stone?

2 Carat Round Brilliant, HVS2
8.19 X 8.24 X 4.90
59.6 Depth
58 % Table
Girdle Medium to thick, faceted
Culet Very Small
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good
Fluorescence- None

Thanks for any information!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Hi JC.

The table is a wee bit large and the depth is a wee bit shallow to constitute ideal in my book, though those numbers (esp. table) appear good at first blush. To be certain you need the crown and pavilion angles. You could get much more feedback on overall cut quality with those. If the vendor has a Sarin or Ogi report these measurements will appear on it.

Culet is fine.

Girdle is okay too. Diamonds that have extremely thin, very thick, or extremely thick girdles are not recommended. An interesting point is that a diamond can have a medium girdle around almost all of its diameter and be very thick at one small point and be graded "medium to very thick."

This is one of many reasons that involving a qualified independent appraiser in any significant diamond purchase is highly recommended.

A very important question: Have you SEEN the diamond, and does it speak to you? That is the most important of all.

justcurious

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your feedback. I should have mentioned that the diamond is just under $20,000.

The ring someone else tried to sell me, which was beautiful. It is 2.02 carats, GSI2, 61% Depth, 56% table, no culet, girdle is thin to medium, polish is good, symmetry is very good, fluorescence is none.

I saw the first ring, but it is out of town. I will see it this week and the store said that if I''m not happy with it, we can find another one. Is the HVS2 better than the GSI2?

Thanks for any information!

justcurious

Rough_Rock
Oops, forgot to mention that both rings were about the same price.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Need the crown/pavilion angles to make an mroe accurate assessment. Info is to limited to make a final conclusion on. I would also concur with Sir John''s comments as well.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with both John and Rhino.

Although I have the impression that you could do better around that budget. To be more definite in our advice, we definitely need more Sarin- or OGI-info.

Live long,

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Paul!

Long time no chat man. I hope this finds you well and hope your season is coming along fine. I like the look of the website too. Very nice.

Peace,

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Rhino,

Indeed, we did not chat enough lately. Let''s pick it up again.

Thank you for the compliments on the site. The season looks good, and next year promises to be exciting.

Live long,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results