shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a Princess Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jdenomy

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I just had a question regarding a diamond I was looking to purchase. I have attached the certificate going along with the diamond I was looking at (I believe it''s a GIA Cert.) and I was wondering what you might believe would be a reasonable price for the diamond, as well, if there was anything that should be alarming by looking at it?

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

I''m totally new to the diamond world.

wb94__3.jpg

afrodyt2000

Rough_Rock
as far as I know of, that's not the cert for a princess cut, a rectangular modified brilliant is a radiant cut diamond, I believe. The depth and table are pretty high, way too high to be an ideal radiant but if you've seen it and it looks beautiful to you, maybe you should get it, if you really love it.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I have to ditto what the previous poster said about the cert not being for a princess cut. I don't have a clue as to how good the numbers are, but you may want to run a quick search here to see what others have found with radiants. I'd also try www.goodoldgold.com where you can research different shapes.

Good luck!

ETA: In most cases GIA seems to describe princess cuts as square modified brilliants.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is rather small for half a carat - and way deep and some would say that's a vaery large table... Rectangular princess cuts are expected to be less brilliant... (btw. radiant cut diamonds are called "cut cornered rectangular modiefied brilliant..." on lab reports for obvious reasons) etc.

Both the rectangular shape and extreme depth would be reason for a discount right there.

In this case, G/VVS material might not have been put to the best use.

Without seeing the stone, there's always a chance that the particular piece ilooks wonderful despite the numbers. And there is a price for anything, of course.

Have you seen it ? Even online, pictures are possible and some shops put forth lots of detailed information to compensate for the remoteness.

IMO, I'd keep it D-F, VS-Si1 and try to find one princess cut close to 5mm square for half a carat. THIS fits that bill a bit better, but there are many more out there, between 1k and 1.5k... How much is that one ?

There are at least two cut grading systems for princess cuts (that do not come from sellers): AGA (described here) and AGS... Not that you ave to go for either down to the letter, but either gives a good hint about what parameters are preffered for princess cuts. If size and brilliance matters, it may help to take a look.

Just my 0.2, as usual
34.gif

afrodyt2000

Rough_Rock
actually I just did some searching and a few diamonds I found also say rectangular modified brillant for princess cut stones. I hope someone else can explain this, now I am also confused.

jdenomy

Rough_Rock
I had no idea about the above, thank you so much for letting me know!! I haven''t seen the diamond in person, I do the majority of my shopping online, which is why I''m looking for some feedback for the rather large expenses! Much appreciated. The amazing responses and timely responses for that matter are fantastic. Any help I might get is very appreciated!

What about these two, and do you think that there would be much difference to the naked eye? I don''t see my future fiancee pulling out a magnifying lense to find blemishes! ? They both apparently has a GHI certificate? I have no idea if that''s even reputable in the least. Let me know.. I''ll put up the picture.

Main Diamond:
Cut
Princess Cut Diamond
Carats 0.74 Carat
Clarity VS1 (Loupe clean)
Color H-I - White
Measurements 5.08 x 4.9 x 3.6 mm
Depth 73.5%
Table 67%
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good

Side Diamonds:
Number of Diamonds 2
Cut Tapered baguette cut diamonds
Total Carat Weight 0.25 Carat
Color, Clarity H-I, VS
Setting 14K White Gold

Center Diamond
Cut Princess Cut Diamond
Carats 0.70 Carat
Clarity VS2 (Loupe clean)
Color F - White
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good
Side Diamonds
Cut Tapered Baguette Cut Diamonds
Number of Diamonds 2
Total Carat Weight 0.30 Carat
Color & Clarity F, VS
Setting 14K White Gold

The first is 2695 and the second 2445. Just wondering if you think either is a good deal, and if so, which may be the better of the two? I apologize for all the questions, I''m essentially a diamond virgin!

PR 2 TB.jpg

jdenomy

Rough_Rock
Sorry, two many posts.. found another for the following!

Center Diamond
Cut Princess Cut Diamond
Carat Weight 0.74 Carat
Measurement 4.79 x 4.79 x 3.76 mm
Depth 78.5%
Table 69%
Color F - White (Colorless)
Clarity SI1 - Eye Clean
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Good

Priced in total for 1995. Baguettes on the side are fairly standard from what I believe. Thanks everyone for the help.. very much appreciated.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2005 1:14:29 AM
Author: afrodyt2000
actually I just did some searching and a few diamonds I found also say rectangular modified brillant for princess cut stones. I hope someone else can explain this, now I am also confused.
As far as I know ...

Rectangular princess cuts exist but are not in favor. One reason is that this cut is prone to create a very obvious bow tie on the long side of the rectangle, like this. The cut was designed to be done square and doesn't quite fit a rectangular outline. For what this is worth, rectangular princess cuts weren't always discounted, but now they surely are.

Perhaps a slightly different facet arrangement can cure this, but I have yet to see the exception. Not that I get to see diamonds in induatrial quantities to make relaible statistics ! - just IMO.

For what this is worth, rectangular princess cuts weren't always discounted, but now they surely are. Wink kept a couple unsold until they sprung moss...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2005 1:24:44 AM
Author: jdenomy

They both apparently has a GHI certificate? I have no idea if that''s even reputable in the least.
Well, never heard of them... and this may not mean nothing, of course.

GIA, AGS, EGL (USA), HRD would be familiar to anyone - I''d stick with those names for high grades at least.

The ring looks very nice, but the stark lighting, surreal colr and symmetry makes me believe that picture is not of the actual item but a "representative" stock photo that has nothing to do woth the item you might receive
23.gif
Do they explain what is the picture of ? Does the seller have a credible return policy ?

Princess & baguette sides is indeed a classical combination - the model can be found in more or less fine interpretations with any diamond seller.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I have never heard of GHI. Is that supposed to be the outfit that graded the stones? You might want to stick with GIA or EGL to be on the safe side.

afrodyt2000

Rough_Rock
only place I''ve ever seen GHI certs were rings off of ebay. Some don''t like the idea of ebay diamonds and think that chances are you will not get as good a deal as you''d think. You should check out the AGA charts to figure out which cuts are good so that the diamond will have sparkle and look like the size you are paying for. aga then click on old AGA cut charts and grade reports, select princess cut and it will tell you what ranges you should look for to get the best cut possible but most people will tell you that it is also relative, some of the best stones on paper look not as gret in person. Also some stones that aren''t as nice on paper, look great in person.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2005 1:24:44 AM
Author: jdenomy

What about these two, and do you think that there would be much difference to the naked eye?
Brilliance, size... shape...

VS is eye clean, SI1 is also most of the time - especially considering weight below 1 carat. However, not all labs are as strict about their grading and these impressions are based on GIA grading.
5.gif

D-H should not show any color whatsoever; and neither should I color really - again, if properly graded.

Luckily, smaller diamonds show definitely less color than large ones. In theory, the statement is true for clarity as well.

A good cut should make even a small diamond impressively brilliant - that surely shows regardless of size

Oh well... "too many posts" as you say.

jdenomy

Rough_Rock
Thanks a bunch for the feedback!

Just another question about the few.. given the dimensions, are these good for typical princess diamonds? Also.. if these are accurate and not different than what is stated, are the prices good?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results