shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Will a shared prong wedding ring scratch this ering?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

justwondering

Rough_Rock
Hi, I''m new to the forum, and would love your help!

I have a beautiful ering, and am trying to figure out whether a shared prong wedding ring will scratch the platinum of my ering band. I''m attaching pics of my ring, and then will add the wedding band we''re thinking about!

My ring is 1.28 H/VS2 (my finger is a 2.5, so the stone looks much larger than it really is!)

ring front WEB.jpg

justwondering

Rough_Rock
now the potential wedding band (from GOG)

CS 374cttw eternity sv.jpg

justwondering

Rough_Rock
And one more...

Thanks so much for your help! Sorry the ones I uploaded of the ering arent great...

CS 374cttw eternity finished 2.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
From what I''ve read on Pricescope. The eternity band''s diamonds can scratch the platinum on your e-ring. I''d wear a spacer. I always do this with my shared prong bands-and I''ve never had a problem.
Hope that helps!

justwondering

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your response! Does anyone think I''d be better off with a channel set eternity band? We were thinking channel set may be more practical, but I love the look of the shared prong...

nessvan12

Shiny_Rock
I have no input about what you asked, but I wanted to say welcome and I''m jealous that you have size 2.5 fingers!
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
have you considered getting a wedding ring with stone''s set the same way as your e-ring? it''s hard to tell from the picture, but your e-ring looks like the stones are beadset, so why not get the beadset band?

re: the shared prong scratching, it is very likely that it will. the girdles look very exposed in the pic you posted and i wouldn''t wear it next to another ring, personally. a channel set ring would be fine, but i''m not sure the styles of the channel set band with your e-ring would work. i''d try some on to be sure b/f ordering anything.

justwondering

Rough_Rock
2.5''s not all its cracked up to be...its impossible to try on rings with any idea of how they actually will look :)

And as for bead set: yes, my ering is bead set, but my fiance doesn''t want the wedding band to match the ering--he wants it to be more prominent. So, we''ve ruled out a matching band. I like the idea of the bands not matching entirely, but don''t know how different I really want them to be.

Could anyone post some pics of prong set rings with spacers? I''m not entirely sure how that would look...also, does anyone wear a bead set band with a shared prong/channel set one???

Thanks soooo much!!!

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
I''m pretty sure the diamonds in the shared prong band will scratch the metal on your ering, specifically the 6''oclock prong. I have a 6 prong solitaire and wear it with a shared prong band and it does scratch the 6''oclock prong. I''m ok with this, many are not. I know that diamondseeker2006 has a shared prong band that does not scratch. Memoire I believe. Those along with the tiffany eternity bands have quite a low profile which minimizes the risk of scratching. Sounds like you, like me, love the shared prong look. In that case I don''t think channel is for you. Talk with GoG about solutions to the scratching, maybe they can help.

justwondering

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Jenn!

Yes, I can''t get the shared prong out of my mind, but just need a little convincing on the practicality of it
25.gif

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I can tell you for certain that a shared prong band will cut into the prongs on your e-ring. I have worn my set for almost 3 years, and my prongs on the e-ring have definite grooves in them from the shared prong w-ring. I''m not terribly worried because hopefully by the time I have to replace the prongs I can replace the diamond!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i wore a full eternity shared prong (1ctw, 4 pointers, memoire - so set low and with smaller diamonds than what you are considering) and within four hours it had quite visibly scratched the three stone ering i wore next to it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results