shape
carat
color
clarity

Help!! What happened to my ring?

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
So I am just sitting here,typing something, and I notice that my band feels weird. Like super tight. So it take it off, and its like this!!

I am so upset!! Its a vintage irid platinum band, and I always wear it, almost constantly, for the past 5 years. I did nothing unusual with it. I did take it off Sunday, as i was going to a party and decided to wear an eternity band instead. It was FINE then. Can it be fixed?? And, what the heck could i have done to make it like this??

Attachments

• 20220614_091933.jpg
    20220614_091933.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220614_091940.jpg
    20220614_091940.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 66

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! That is good to know. I thought i must have done something cataclysmic to cause this to happen, especially in 24 hrs. This ring does take a lot of abuse, normally, and its always been fine. I always thought irid plat was tougher than regular plat?
This is totally normal. A jeweler can usually round it out mandrel.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW, I baby my rings and they are probably off my hands more than on. They are the last things I put on and the first things I take off.

Platinum is a soft metal, and over time (especially for an antique with wearing down of metal) it can get misshapen with anything unusual.

I would recommend you don’t wear it when gardening, walking the dog, doing dishes, swimming, bathing and showering, vacuuming etc.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW, I baby my rings and they are probably off my hands more than on. They are the last things I put on and the first things I take off.

Platinum is a soft metal, and over time (especially for an antique with wearing down of metal) it can get misshapen with anything unusual.

I would recommend you don’t wear it when gardening, walking the dog, doing dishes, swimming, bathing and showering, vacuuming etc.

I do take off my diamonds whenever i "do" anything, but i thought this ring was ok. Guess i was wrong. Its just so strange, I've worn this ring while laying hardwood floors and screwing in sheetrock. Its taken a beating and been fine.
I just cant understand it....but lesson learned. Thanks!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do take off my diamonds whenever i "do" anything, but i thought this ring was ok. Guess i was wrong. Its just so strange, I've worn this ring while laying hardwood floors and screwing in sheetrock. Its taken a beating and been fine.
I just cant understand it....but lesson learned. Thanks!

No problem. I’m sure a good bench can get it back to where it was. Enjoy it!

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock

@whitewave, I am exactly like you :P2

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no @meesmom !! Is this your Grey Gardens ring?

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no @meesmom !! Is this your Grey Gardens ring?

Oh @OdetteOdile YES it is!!!! I'm touched that you remember that. =)2
I can't believe I no longer can wear it all the time, its like a part of me. :(
A bit of good news tho....I did manage to make it make it a bit more round using my own mandrel (i was super careful) so i can wear it a bit until i can get to a jeweler to get it really fixed!! :)

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Oh @OdetteOdile YES it is!!!! I'm touched that you remember that. =)2
I can't believe I no longer can wear it all the time, its like a part of me. :(
A bit of good news tho....I did manage to make it make it a bit more round using my own mandrel (i was super careful) so i can wear it a bit until i can get to a jeweler to get it really fixed!! :)

I’m sorry that this happened to your beautiful ring, but it does sound promising that it can be fixed!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you got it closer to round so you can wear it comfortably. Believe this can happen even if you are very careful (ie, not gardening, etc). It often happens when trying to catch a closing door by grasping the handle. Some people, in an effort to save their nails/manis use more of their palm than their fingers when handling things and that puts additional pressure on the shank. Just keep an eye on it. If it is going in and out of round a lot a weak spot can form.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Glad you got it closer to round so you can wear it comfortably. Believe this can happen even if you are very careful (ie, not gardening, etc). It often happens when trying to catch a closing door by grasping the handle. Some people, in an effort to save their nails/manis use more of their palm than their fingers when handling things and that puts additional pressure on the shank. Just keep an eye on it. If it is going in and out of round a lot a weak spot can form.

Thank so much for the tips. I am still wracking my brain trying to figure out what i did!! If it was flat on one side, i could explain that away....but the poor ring was oval!!
And, fyi, i do the opposite, i use my fingertips for everything. I dont care at all about my nails lol, just my rings.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I have had a few drinks and in a rowdy mood, I often bang the table or whatever with my hands, and bent my large EC diamond RHR horrendously out of shape.

The shank is not solid at the top where it joins the halo.

Luckily, Simon Wright in London was able to knock it back into shape while I was with him for an appointment about making a bangle with my 1.94ct MRB.

I lost confidence in the ring as I worry I I would bend it out of shape again and cause the weak points to break. Hence I am having the EC reset into a more substantial setting by Simon. Hopefully, I shall get it back in a couple of months once I have fully paid for the reset.

DK :))

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Where did you place it after you removed it? If in a ring box, was there enough space in the ring box? I've seen some ring boxes with almost no space above the squishy part, where lids would press down and leave stone imprints in the fabric. Could the lid have bent an already compromised ring?

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Where did you place it after you removed it? If in a ring box, was there enough space in the ring box? I've seen some ring boxes with almost no space above the squishy part, where lids would press down and leave stone imprints in the fabric. Could the lid have bent an already compromised ring?

Im pretty sure i put it in the "ring roll" part of my jewelry box when i took it off on Sunday. Thats what i ususally do, on the rare occasion i take it off.
I also asked everyone in my house (my parents are staying for a few days as well) if they might have dropped it and stepped on it to stop it from rolling away. Thats the only thing i can think of that would have caused that kind of damage. But they all said no.....

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
When I have had a few drinks and in a rowdy mood, I often bang the table or whatever with my hands, and bent my large EC diamond RHR horrendously out of shape.

The shank is not solid at the top where it joins the halo.

Luckily, Simon Wright in London was able to knock it back into shape while I was with him for an appointment about making a bangle with my 1.94ct MRB.

I lost confidence in the ring as I worry I I would bend it out of shape again and cause the weak points to break. Hence I am having the EC reset into a more substantial setting by Simon. Hopefully, I shall get it back in a couple of months once I have fully paid for the reset.

I am a bit worried about this band as well. Its pretty old, from the 50s i was told. I guess i should be on the lookout for a "new" one. :(

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a bit worried about this band as well. Its pretty old, from the 50s i was told. I guess i should be on the lookout for a "new" one. :(
I do not believe it is an age related issue, perhaps it is not thick enough to withstand being knocked about.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
UPDATE! I think I found the culprit.
20220615_165539.jpg
I have been working out a bit with these 3 lb. hand weights for the past few days. I tend to let them flop around in my hands bc of the handles. I always take off all my rings except that band. Pretty sure these did it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results