shape
carat
color
clarity

Help wanted choosing a ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princess trio

Rough_Rock
Diamond purchasing advice needed.

Hello all. Im a non american engaged to a lovely American guy and we both live in Europe. As yet I have no ring and have been reading from pricescope trying to educate myself.My lovely soon to be Mother in law in NYC is on the look out for a ring for me. She last approached me with a ring spec from the Zales store which I felt was bad value. However encouraged by this forum and having looked at some sites I feel I could get a better diamond for the same budget on line. As I havent a clue and will probably be ordering site unseen and have no idea how to go about this, can any of you who are passionate about this stuff help me please.
Im looking for a three stone ring. I like the sparkle of round brilliant stone but prefer a square cut, so far, opting for a princess cut as I believe this to be a stone that offers the nearest sparkle of a round cut . Whilst lloking Iv seen radiant and asher and ahve been trying to learn about them My buget is a small 1500 to 2000, max 2500 dollars. I like white gold,and settings that dont protrude too much, incidently the Zales ring was a Cathedral setting which to me, the ignorant, sounded like a very high setting. Im more inclined towards small and sparkly but not too small. Iv also read conflicting stuff re: Radiant cuts, are thay as sparkly as Rounds ? and are they as good Via Idealscope as I read the imperfect symmetry cos of no corners makes them not so good Also iv only ever tried on friends rings which were princess and round, no idea what anything else would look like. Any kind of help or Opinion or recommendation for a site would be soooh much appreciated. Thank you, look forward to your advice.
35.gif
'');" alt="Insert smilie
35.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/35.gif" align="absMiddle border=0">

Love Princess Trio

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope.

As far as your dilemma, you have many choices to make. First, i suggest reading through the TUTORIALS offered here. Goodoldgold.com has wonderful videos to help you choose which shape of stone you prefer. Once you've chosen a stone shape, then you'll be better prepared to choose a setting.

A princess stone of the same weight as a round will appear significantly smaller. A radiant stone of the same weight as a princess will appear significantly more sparkly. An emerald or a square cut emerald (asscher) will both show large flashes of light rather than little sparkly lights. A cushion stone has lots of sparkle with a pillow shape. So, that kind of combines the princess and round.

Your setting can be any variation of sizes with your three stones. THIS link is for one of the PS vendor sites. You can see the variety of arrangements for a three stone ring.

And, you're definitely right about finding a better deal online.

When you decide what stone and setting preferences you have, we'll be able to help you a bit more.

Good Luck
1.gif

Also, if you can, you should try some rings on. You'll be able to see what shapes look nice on your hand.

And, is there a reason for the three stone? There are many more options than just three stone or solitaire.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome, maybe your mom can visit Good Old Gold and Engagement Rings Direct in NYC and they can help her find a beautiful stone for you!!! Rounds have a lot of fire and tend to sparkle the most. These two company''s are well respected by PS''ers

Here is GOG''s website http://www.goodoldgold.com/

Here is ERDs website https://www.pricescope.com/origin.asp?supl=97&url=http://www.engagementringsdirect.com

If she is looking at zales they are not the best cut diamonds and she should request to see the certificates and write down the angle, crown, cutlet, pavilion, depth% and table% to help us help you.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Like was suggested, I would definitely encourage you to watch the tutorials on Good Old Gold... there are different videos comparing various square shaped stones. I would not buy from Zales... you are correct, you can get much better for the same amount by buying from one of the Pricescope vendors.

A princess just is not going to sparkle like a round brilliant; it's sparkle is different (not better or worse, just different). If you want the sparkle of a round in the shape of a square you could get a round stone in a squarish halo or you could get a Hearts & Arrows square cushion or Princess of Hearts or Jubilee offered at Good Old Gold (which will come closer to a round type of sparkle than a standard princess) or you could get a top of the line princess cut like offered at Whiteflash (their ACA Princess cut or X-Factor princess- but again, it's a different type of sparkle).

I went with a Princess of Hearts and will be getting it this week... I wanted some mad crazy sparkle but I did not want a round. TeeTee just got a H&A cushion and has posted pics in this thread... and here is a pic of her beautiful ring!
IMG_2162.jpg

princess trio

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys for you help and prompt replys. Ill defo go and try on some rings before I go much further which this. Ideal Rock, your ring looks so georgoius and stunning I will defo have to look into taht cut some more. Im finding the whole thing of choosing a setting and then the diamonds hard work though , esp if Im going for three stone rings. I read a post from a lady who found that the same care and attention wasnt given to melee diamonds only cenrtre daimonds.
35.gif
'');" alt="Insert smilie
35.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/35.gif" align="absMiddle border=0">Thanks for you help though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results