shape
carat
color
clarity

Help us choose side stone shape!

Jj2015

Rough_Rock
We have narrowed down our custom engagement ring to a 1.5 RB (color F, SI 1, ideal cut) with a small cushion halo but would like to add side stones as we feel my finger(size 5 3/4) looks best with three stones-we have narrowed it down to half moons or brilliant shields. Our jeweler brought in the shapes to help us compare-just for shape not size. I want something unique and timeless. What's your choice-looking at the shape? Any suggestions on size of side stones?

_21257.jpg

lage

Rough_Rock
Of the two shape choices, the shield compliments the cushion halo better (IMHO).

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
love the shields :love:

mustangsally

Rough_Rock
I like the shields best

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
I also prefer the shields.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the shields!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for shields!

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Shields!

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Shields!!! This will look spectacular! Will you halo these shields or leave? Cant wait to see pics!

princessfeedme

Shiny_Rock
another vote shields! will you be halo-ing the side stones too?

Jj2015

Rough_Rock
@laurenk and @princessfeedme: we weren't planning on halo - ing the shields. We are thinking about smaller side stones than are in the picture as well.

What do you think?

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
I like the shields. The size in the picture! :love:

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
You could do either but I think I wouldnt halo them. Your centre stone is the feature and these purely accents. yay!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the shields.

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Shields, and they don't need halos. That would make the ring too fussy.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shields and IMO no halo

Jj2015

Rough_Rock
Definitely not planning on haloing the shields. Seems like shields are clear winner-I was leaning towards the shields!!! :D In the picture are .3 on each side but I have gotten a lot of feedback that they look too big and take away from the beauty of the center stone which is a 1.5 carat on my hand. Any advice on sizing for side stones in relation to a 1.5 cushion halo!? Thank you for all the feedback! So helpful!

princessfeedme

Shiny_Rock
Forgot to add this gorgeous Neil Lane ring with bezeled pointed tip shields. Since the center stone is a step cut, it fits well with the plain bezel. So i thought your halo center stone would look fab with a bezeled millegraining.

bezel_shields.jpg

Jj2015

Rough_Rock
@princessfeedme - thanks for your input! I think that's a good idea but i would be afraid without seeing it! There was a ring I saw the tiniest haloing which looked like milgraining because you saw mostly the prongs and I loved it-i will try to post a picture of it but it was difficult to get a good shot of it in the store. I have told the jeweler the smaller the halo the better like other posters have said-i dont want it to be too fussy! This is hard!!!

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Are you any closer to deciding? I actually would go slightly smaller shields than your pic, it will further help make your centre pop! Do some scribbles on paper and cut them out to see how it will look on paper. Good luck!!!

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
I found this pic of a three stone ring purely for centre to side ratio and how it may look haloed.
I'm not sure who owns this ring so apologies if they didn't want it shared.

_21407.jpg

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
One more example without the sides haloed

_21430.jpg

Jj2015

Rough_Rock
@Laurenk-thanks-the second picture I have spoke with the owner before and that was the closest ring incould find to what i wasnlooking for. Hers are half moons.

We went back to the jeweler and said we wanted smaller shields. He showed us .91(total both) that look smaller but are deeper causing the higher carat weight. Here is it on the left side and the .68 carat weight total (both) on the right. The left side because of the depth had more brilliance which we liked. What do you think of the smaller shield?

The jeweler is now trying to convince us of an EGL center 1.5carat, color E, cut excellent but reviews we are reading are anti-egl. We compared the diamond against a GIA and to the eye I didn't see a huge, huge difference but I am by no means an expert. Definitely makes me nervous with everyone saying go with GIA only.

_18986.jpg

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Jj2015|1408386878|3734908 said:
@Laurenk-thanks-the second picture I have spoke with the owner before and that was the closest ring incould find to what i wasnlooking for. Hers are half moons.

We went back to the jeweler and said we wanted smaller shields. He showed us .91(total both) that look smaller but are deeper causing the higher carat weight. Here is it on the left side and the .68 carat weight total (both) on the right. The left side because of the depth had more brilliance which we liked. What do you think of the smaller shield?

The jeweler is now trying to convince us of an EGL center 1.5carat, color E, cut excellent but reviews we are reading are anti-egl. We compared the diamond against a GIA and to the eye I didn't see a huge, huge difference but I am by no means an expert. Definitely makes me nervous with everyone saying go with GIA only.
Hi, I much prefer the left sheild and thinks it's more complimentary.

I thought you had your centre stone already, are you still trying to find a centre? I would avoid egl unless you've seen it and love it however your paying for something you're not getting (in my opinion).
What is the centre stone in your pic again? Is this yours or you're playing with the whole design still? Sorry if I missed that.

Jj2015

Rough_Rock
We have chosen a 1.71 RB, color E, VS1. The left sided shield above which are total weight of .91 (they are deep cut) are the side stones we chose. We picked them because they were the smallest looking next to the stone but I am worrying they still look to big? We are now in the model process and its making me so nervous! We dropped our stones into it yesterday and although the halo isn't on it I'm concerned on the shield side stone to center proportions. I am also concerned about the double prongs holding the shields-I am afraid they hid the unique accent shape of the shield-opinions/thoughts? Obviously the stones aren't sitting perfectly in the mold-it's difficult-it looks like the left one is sitting up on one of the prongs but looking for some feedback!

_21834.jpg

_21835.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they look great! I think the right one gives a better idea of how they'll look in the setting - you're right, the left one is sitting up higher. I think it's going to be a beautiful ring :love:

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!! Looks amazing!!! I think you've chosen really well and I can't wait to see the finalized ring!!

Jj2015

Rough_Rock
I think so too! It's in production! Just worried about the prongs hiding the shape of the unique shields since you need to protect the points. :angel:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results