shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Urgent - Just Saw Stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bluepetal

Rough_Rock
You guys have all been so helpful here and we are upgrading my ring for x-mas, going from a G 2+ carat round brilliant AGS0 to a 3.5+ AGS0.

I saw various stones this morning in the E,F,G range. My jeweler said as the stone gets bigger you can see more color and inclusions so advised on an E-FVS2, though I could barely see inclusions in SI1. Is this true? The price difference is over 5000.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
IMO that is a sales gimmick...............everything is more visible as it becomes larger. Not just the color and the clarity increase in size--so does the rest of the diamond

bluepetal

Rough_Rock
if you can see everything as the stone gets bigger, shouldn''t I then try to get the absolute best? I for sure could not see the difference between the E&F - but could see the difference w/ G

reena

Ideal_Rock
yeah, while i''m sure it is true that color and inclusions CAN become more noticeable as the stone gets bigger, that doesn''t mean that you cannot find an eyeclean SI1 stone in that size or that you couldn''t go with a G or H in that size if you choose a really well-cut diamond. jflo''s RB is the perfect example--it''s 3+ carats and i think an H/SI1, and it is absolutely gorgeous. and completely white and eyeclean. soooooooooo . . . .

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
you are missing the point------------if a stone is eye clean at .5 carat it's eye clean --eye clean at 4ct its eye clean. its a G at .5 --its a G at 4carats. I do completely disagree with the person you spoke with. If however you didnt like the G over an F thats a different story. Remember there are thousands of gradations of color within each color band and the intensity of the "color" may be affected by the cut. All F's are not created equal. I turned down an F cushion recently that was dingier than H's Ive seen and it was very well cut with a GIA.

reena

Ideal_Rock

bluepetal

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much. I understand now windowshopper! Thanks for the clarification. I think 1 of the stones was not "eye clean" that is why the jeweler said you can see it better or something.... i was overwhelmed. I think I am going to go with the F and the SI1. Will decide later.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
f si sounds perfect----------i am a color nut--i cant stand anything below E........................F si is a great combination

bluepetal

Rough_Rock
SH**t, should I get the E - now I am thinking it did look whiter. I have to go back again. There was an E -SI1. For some reason when I think E, I think I should be in the VS or VVS category!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i just bought a 3.18 D vs2..................I have a very good eye for color and I cant stand that tint of color. howver there are superb GHIJK's out there but not for me. My old stone was an E vvs2--new stone a D and I felt that anything over Vs was unnecessary

comment: yes you hear pepole say dont have too great a spread in color and clarity but i think it kind of b__sh_t!..............everyone wants three things:

1-BIG
2-white
3- eye clean

reena

Ideal_Rock
i agree that the "spread" issue is bullsh*t--i would buy an eyeclean E/F SI1 or SI2 in a heartbeat.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i third that.

(is a third ditto a titto? no, wait, a tritto?)

anyway, go for it!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
url]

i was deciding on these two stones from GOG. both ideal cuts GIA ex/ex one on the left is a H SI 1 3.34 ct. the one on the right is an I VS2 2.76 ct. i ended up buying the 3.34 ct .there is an inclusion in the middle of the table, but i can''t see it without a loupe. even with the size of this picture, i still can''t see the inclusion.if you like E-F color then go for it...... but a G-H VS 1 or 2 is good enough for me even if i had a big budget.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!! 3.5ct PLUS!! I saw a 2.5ct yesterday at the jewelry store on the owner''s wife''s hand! It was HUUUUGE it made mine look like a peanut, although mine was sparklier ;-)!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/22/2004 12:23:54 PM
Author: bluepetal
SH**t, should I get the E - now I am thinking it did look whiter. I have to go back again. There was an E -SI1. For some reason when I think E, I think I should be in the VS or VVS category!
Well, the color grade shows culet up (the diamonds are graded for color that way to begin with). Face up, the optics would make some diamonds brighter "white" than others regardless of the color grade.

Heard about color-clarity matching before... but it seems that diamonds have not found out about this yet. It reamins a matter of choice if E/SI1 sounds like a cheap E or an expensive SI to you
2.gif
Just my 0.2, of course.

Anyway, starting with the batch you describe, there ain''t much room to go wrong. Keep us posted !
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2004 11:56:19 AM
Author:bluepetal
You guys have all been so helpful here and we are upgrading my ring for x-mas, going from a G 2+ carat round brilliant AGS0 to a 3.5+ AGS0.

I saw various stones this morning in the E,F,G range. My jeweler said as the stone gets bigger you can see more color and inclusions so advised on an E-FVS2, though I could barely see inclusions in SI1. Is this true? The price difference is over 5000.
Your jeweler is *absolutely* correct. But, you must take into account *your* threshold for your color accuity & clarity. Some have the eagle eyes that a VS1 wouldn''t do. Some can see color in a G - others prefer a warmer stone. It really is up to you whether you want to spend the extra money. Your jeweler may be reacting to your requests.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
It is harder to find a large eye clean SI stone but it is possible.

My original engagement ring is a 3 carat pear but my husband never liked that shape and wanted me to get a round stone. For our last anniversary he gave me a home made gift certificate for a "gorgeous" 4 to 5 carat ring from Tiffany. Since I am keeping my original ring, I wanted something that looked much bigger but I did not want to have something I would have to keep in the vault and pay a fortune in insurance. I also thought it was an extravagance. But he insisted so I said I'd pefer to select it myself. I tend to be a careful shopper and like to get my money's worth and my husband is the opposite.

Lesley at Whiteflash found me a great ring for a terrific price. It is 4.10 Ideal cut, SI2, AGS 0 cut. It is I color but very bright and firey. The appraiser said it faces up more like a G or H and I see no yellow at the sides. I have had the stone several months and cannot see any inclusions from any angle with my naked eye even though I know where they are and can easily find them with a loupe. It may not be the greatest stone but it looks gorgeous and I wear it with my F and G color .28 each eternity band and do not see any difference in color.

It took Lesley a few months to find this stone for me. I sent her lists of more expensive stones from the multiple listing but she said they were not for me. Most large SI stones do have visible inclusions which might be less conspicuous in a smaller stone. So it may take a while to find exactly what you want if you do decide to go to an SI stone. I really wanted a G or H but the combination of Ideal cut, eye clean and size was hard to find. I wanted an Si stone because I did not want to pay for something I could not see. Maybe I am not overly color sensitive but it looks white to me and is really sparkly and dazzling.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results