shape
carat
color
clarity

Help to buy an emerald!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lauren - are you buying for the price or because this one "speaks" to you? You started by saying you were looking for "deep" green but I've been known to change my mind when I actually start seeing stones.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
laurenk|1417120975|3791376 said:
A fellow PS'er purchased a loose stone from another and had the stone precision cut here in Australia. It's a 3.8 carat I beleive (was around 4.7) and I've attached some pictures for some feedback. Asking $3k Australian. He is offering a 30 day return too. What do you think?

Colour wise, it's rather light in tone. You mentioned in your initial post that you want a deep green. It's pretty in it's own right but if you're looking for an emerald with conventionally higher quality colour it'll cost more and be smaller.

TL, I love your ring.

MJO, interesting info.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MJO|1417209847|3791852 said:
Basically he is saying the Columbian Dealers decided that if a stone has at least .1% Chrome content if will be called an emerald because all their stones have that content. Even if the stone is a fine green but color by Vanadium and no Chromium. This way all Columbian stone can be called emeralds. Seems a little prejudicial to me <g>. It would be interesting to see if all Emeralds in ancient Jewelery (Before Columbia) were colored by at least .1% Chrome.

As far as the AGL Calling that stone an Emerald you are probably right. It is better than very light.

Likewise, if it is very light in tone, it should be priced accordingly. Only deep toned, and very saturated very slightly bluish green emeralds with good clarity, and faint, minor or no treatment, typically command the highest prices. Light toned emeralds tend to have less chromium and chromium is what makes the crystal unstable causing all the cracks, an inclusions. If a stone is light toned it will be cleaner, but it should still be priced less because the saturation isn't there with a very light tone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1417213312|3791983 said:
TL, I love your ring.

Thank you LK!

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone. I agree that this stone is not my ideal, so Ill keep hunting.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with TL.

The gem laurenk posted is in my opinion an emerald.

There are "emeralds" from Nigeria - very clean - worth a discussion whether emerald or greenberyl ( imo green beryl)

If you compare pale emerald from columbia and seafoam beryl from Madasgascar or green beryl you see the difference.

And a gemmy crystal "pale" neon columbian emerald is much nicer than an included emerald with a yellow or grey secondary color.

They are underrated imo.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
I've found another I quite like and have attached cert and pic

_24839.jpg

_24840.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the stone on the first page in the middle is way too pale. Ask the vendor if you can see the ring you just posted on the hand without the black background. Emeralds always look darker (and usually better) against a black background.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Arkieb1 - I did feel it could be a tad light but it sold for over $14k! So wasn't for me hehe.

My sister in laws friend is selling her emerald due to relationship breakdown and its just over 2 carats looks a better colour to me and has no treatment other than oil.

I've added some pics

_24947.jpg

_24948.jpg

_24949.jpg

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
bump :) Im thinking of having the emerald in the post just above this one sent to me for inspection, its natural and no enhancers just some oil. Minor inclusions which is ok. Id love someones opinion please :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oil isn't always the best filler and even with oiling, there are different levels ranging from minor to moderate to significant. Some oils are leakier than others and will require re-filling as this treatment isn't permanent. Some oils are also dyed to make the emerald look greener.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results