shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Stone loose in setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lsyama

Shiny_Rock
Help! I''m a jewelry-newb, and I need your advice please!

I just noticed that the center stone in my ring (a sapphire) is loose - I can rotate it pretty easily.
The setting is platinum with 4 prongs (WF 3-stone W-prong).
I just got the ring about 3.5 weeks ago (I wasn''t expecting to have to get a "check-up" so soon!).

What qualifications should I look for in a jeweler to get it fixed? (ex. works with gemstones (not just diamonds) and platinum)
And what will the jeweler have to do to fix it?
Approximate cost? (Hope it''s not too expensive!
32.gif
)

Also, I just got an ultrasonic cleaner (Sharper Image). Could using this (5 mins on normal setting) have caused the looseness??

Thanks so much!!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
call wf. there is no reason a new setting should have issues.
do not take it to another jeweler, wf will not guarantee anything if it is worked on by an outside jeweler.

lsyama

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/15/2007 11:50:10 AM
Author: belle
do not take it to another jeweler, wf will not guarantee anything if it is worked on by an outside jeweler.

Thanks for the info belle!
But WF didn''t set the stone since it was a sapphire with an indented natural on the girdle.
Richard Homer had one of his jewelers do it. I have emailed Richard about it, so I''ll see what he says.

I feel like a jewelry klutz who shouldn''t be allowed near nice things!
14.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2007 11:56:06 AM
Author: lsyama

Date: 10/15/2007 11:50:10 AM

Thanks for the info belle!
But WF didn''t set the stone since it was a sapphire with an indented natural on the girdle.
Richard Homer had one of his jewelers do it. I have emailed Richard about it, so I''ll see what he says.

I feel like a jewelry klutz who shouldn''t be allowed near nice things!
14.gif
ahhh...i see. well, again a new piece shouldn''t have issues. this isn''t something you should have to ''foot the bill'' on, in my opinion. somebody needs to make it right.
i also use the sharper image ultrasonic on my ring and haven''t had any issues at all.

lsyama

Shiny_Rock
Ugh, confession time - I did drop the ring in the restroom (tile floor!) last week.
15.gif

Seriously, don''t let me near nice things.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2007 12:20:21 PM
Author: lsyama
Ugh, confession time - I did drop the ring in the restroom (tile floor!) last week.
15.gif

Seriously, don''t let me near nice things.
oooooohhhhhhh
ouch. bummer!

what are you doing taking that ring off in the bathroom woman!?

lsyama

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/15/2007 12:37:26 PM

what are you doing taking that ring off in the bathroom woman!?
I got into the habit of taking it off so I don''t wash my hands with it on (I don''t like the wet feel).
Maybe I should stop doing that huh.
(Such mixed messages! I also thought I wasn''t supposed to get soap on it to avoid residue build up.)

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be very careful taking rings off in the restroom, I took mine off to put handcream on and my wedding band went down the drain
32.gif
My husband was able to take the sink apart and get it out, but I no longer take my rings off anywhere near a sink
20.gif

Hera

Ideal_Rock
My aunt left her engagement and wedding rings on the sink of a public restroom. When she remembered them, she went back and they were gone
32.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results