shape
carat
color
clarity

Help sourcing 2+ CT Sapphire for 3-stone engagement ring

cmbr241

Rough_Rock
Hi there - first time poster, long-time lurker. I'm trying to source a center stone for my gf's engagement ring and could use some second opinions, because frankly this is a bit overwhelming and my worst fear is screwing this up! That said, definitely worth the effort to get her something unique and special because she absolutely deserves it.

First, some details on my search:
Budget: up to $15K, all-in
Setting: 6 prong, 3-stone (2 side diamonds, aiming for ~1/3 center stone diameter as I've read online)
Center Stone:
  • Type: Sapphire
  • Color: Royal Blue
  • Shape: Round
  • Size: 2-2.5+ Carat (want to go 'big' without being distractingly so - and worried a 3ct would look odd in a 3-stone)
  • Clarity: VS or better
  • Intensity: Vivid/Intense
  • Heating: No strong preference (would prioritize value for $ in either direction)
  • Reports: Preference to have seller provide GIA/AGL or similar upfront
Approach: Hoping to find the right stone at a good price, then work with either one of the custom jewelers recommended here, or with a local jeweler (I'm in the BOS area) on the setting/side diamonds

Second, some of the options I'm weighing - in general, trying to avoid a stone with clear inclusions / windows / overly inky tones, but its possible I'm missing those signs (given I'm new to this). I also plan to ask for more views/videos of the final contenders (as others have in threads):

My initial preference among the options would be either the 2.41 FineWaterGems (in part for the value of a unheated), or the 2.65 Pearlman.

So just a few questions for whoever can chime in (any input is most welcome!!):
  • Any recommendations on the above options? Do my preferences make sense or am I missing something major? (I have a suspicion these may be too dark...)
  • Any other vendors to reach out to? I looked through all online inventories of every gem seller on the recommended vendor list (website/ebay/etsy) but have no done any direct outreach yet. Open to instagram provided they have pricescope references and they provide reports upfront.
  • Anything in my approach/targeting setting that's concerning? (I don't know what I don't know :)))

Thank you for any advice in advance!

Attachments

• 1629412892517.png
    1629412892517.png
    137.3 KB · Views: 6

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The finewater one is by far my favorite of these options. The 2.65 from Pearlmans would be my 2nd choice because it looks like an intense blue without being overly dark. The other 2 from pearlmans look too dark for my personal comfort.

The Deliqua one looks far too dark (to my eye), and all stones darken after setting.

It's hard to judge the one from Doug without more info (video, on-hand pic, etc). But I really like Doug and think he would give you an honest assessment if you reach out to him.

But honestly I would buy the Finewater option asap.

M

maru8888777

I second the Finewater one. I've been looking at that sapphire forever! Have you looked at Gemfix?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The rutile in the Finewater one makes me tingles :love: what a dream it would be to own that!

However - if you are looking for a very crisp, very sparkly scintillating stone, over one that ‘glowed’ - I would choose something else without the silk.

Congrats on the engagement!!!!

cmbr241

Rough_Rock
Thank you all!

The sparkle vs. glow tradeoff was not something I had deeply considered, so it is a good point since sparkle will matter to her - I plan to reach out to Gary and get more details on the stone. The hope is that it may sparkle 'enough' (ideally a balance of sparkle and glow if that makes sense), but can always go with the Pearlman stone if it doesn't.

I thought I had thoroughly reviewed GemFix but just discovered this 2.94Ct option; at first glance, seems a bit lighter than I intended but could be a good option if it sets darker. Good to have options if Gary's stone is gone or if I have concerns about the sparkle :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all!

The sparkle vs. glow tradeoff was not something I had deeply considered, so it is a good point since sparkle will matter to her - I plan to reach out to Gary and get more details on the stone. The hope is that it may sparkle 'enough' (ideally a balance of sparkle and glow if that makes sense), but can always go with the Pearlman stone if it doesn't.

I thought I had thoroughly reviewed GemFix but just discovered this 2.94Ct option; at first glance, seems a bit lighter than I intended but could be a good option if it sets darker. Good to have options if Gary's stone is gone or if I have concerns about the sparkle :)

Almost all colored stones will darken a bit once set. I would personally rate the gemfix one above the Perlman's option (but below the one Gary has bc I freaking adore that stone). But definitely if you end up thinking Gary's doesn't have enough sparkle then I would go w the one from gemfix

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’ve coveted that stone from Gary from moment I saw it. It’s honestly stunning and I’d choose that one without hesitation.

Unless your SO likes dark blue, I think all of the Pearlmans ones are too dark for my preference, and the Gemfix one is too light, but I agree with @lovedogs thats it’s very pretty. I actually prefer Gary’s 2.29 oval to the Gemfix stone, but it seems like you’re after a round.

Color is all about preference , some love dark stones and some love light stones. So it really is depending on what you are after.

I own a silky blue stone (that’s the “glow” in Gary’s), and I honestly suspect that the silk helps the color stabilize (or be more consistently blue) in different lighting. What I mean is, you are seeing these stones in optimal lighting. The stone will look less vivid and less bright in many lights. The stone will darken once set as well, so go for a tiny bit lighter in the unset stone.

M

maru8888777

If you are open to shapes other than a round, Adamant International is a pleasure to work with. They have two glorious royal blues above the 2ct mark, but they are not rounds. Out of the ones you're considering, I'd also go with that beautiful Finewater stone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results