shape
carat
color
clarity

Help removing design on glassware?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I recently bought some Spiegelau crystal glasses: http://www.amazon.com/Spiegelau-Grande-Magnum-Bordeaux-Glasses/dp/B00004SUID/ref=pd_sbs_hg_5 for cheap.

There is an embossed design on them, white colored. It's HP, where the stem of the P and the right stem of the H are actually the same/connected, and HP is encircled by 2 thin concentric circles. I thought acetone would get rid of it, but it didn't work. I was using a yellow paper napkin dipped in nail polish remover, and the design actually took on the yellow dye from the napkin.

I think the design is that typical white stuff that is usually on beer mugs with a school's crest. It's not glossy finished, it's more satin or frosted.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I guess it's probably a monogram or something, but I don't understand, since it looks ...not like a monogram. Anyway, I see some make monogrammed glass by etching or engraving? But it feels like a surface treatment, not like it's etched in.

It is also not that glossy kind of glass treatment, that usually comes in many colors, which I think are applied by transfer.

33.gif
I just feel like there has to be a solvent...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Embossed or etched? When I think designs on glassware like you are talking about usually they are etched into the glass...and there is no way to remove it without wrecking the glass...

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it''s embossed...I would be able to tell if it''s etched if I can feel the negative with my fingernail, right?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 5:56:56 PM
Author: JulieN
I think it''s embossed...I would be able to tell if it''s etched if I can feel the negative with my fingernail, right?

Not really...etched glassware doesn''t usually feel indented, just rough...

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Curses. I really thought I could get it off. Oh, well. I have 2 glasses that I would normally never buy...with a weird design on them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results