shape
carat
color
clarity

Help reading reports on a Princess cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cdub101

Rough_Rock
I recieived the following reports on a princess cut diamond I am seriously considering. But I cant say I know what it all means.

Help!

It is a 1.27 H Si1 from WF...

The Sarin data:

Weight 1.27
Width 5.63
Length 6.01 Ratio 1.07
Total Depth 73.2%
Table Size 69.6%
Crown Hieght 13.9%
Crown Angle 47.3%
Girdle 6.3 e thk
Girdle min-mx 5.1%-7.7%
Pav height 53.8%
Pav angle 37

-Chris

IS_GIA14606746.jpg

cdub101

Rough_Rock
And here is a magnified picture. Personally I can''t see any inlcusions, but I really don''t know what I should be looking for. Even when I go to stores I rareley see what they are talking about.

Don''t want to get hosed...

DI40X_GIA14606746-2.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2006 3:38:36 PM
Author:cdub101
I recieived the following reports on a princess cut diamond I am seriously considering. But I cant say I know what it all means.

Help!

It is a 1.27 H Si1 from WF...

The Sarin data:

Weight 1.27
Width 5.63
Length 6.01 Ratio 1.07
Total Depth 73.2%
Table Size 69.6%
Crown Hieght 13.9%
Crown Angle 47.3%
Girdle 6.3 e thk
Girdle min-mx 5.1%-7.7%
Pav height 53.8%
Pav angle 37

-Chris
it means you have found a nice looking princess!
36.gif

the depth is lovely
+
the table is nice
+
crown is great
+
thick girdle is good
+
pavilion angle is just right = a very nice stone!

and the idealscope confirms it all. well done!

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/6/2006 3:50:36 PM
Author: belle
it means you have found a nice looking princess!
36.gif

the depth is lovely
+
the table is nice
+
crown is great
+
thick girdle is good
+
pavilion angle is just right = a very nice stone!

and the idealscope confirms it all. well done!
Hey Belle,

I wonder why you say that the thick girdle is good and the pavilion angle is just right.

Live long,

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey paul
35.gif

the thick girdle is good because is decreases the risk of chipping, which makes me feel more comfortable.
the 'just right' on the pavilion angle could have been 'good' or 'nice' or 'lovely' but i had already used those adjectives.
2.gif

the bottom line is, that is a nice looking 3chevron princess and the idealscope concurs. of course i am only a study of princess cuts..not the master that you are, so your advice here would be invaluable.

btw chris...i can guarantee you are not getting hosed.
2.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Belle,

The thick girdle in this stone is in fact an ''extremely thick'' girdle of 6.3%, ranging from 5.1 up to 7.7%. I wonder at what point a thick girdle starts to get bad points from you. In this case, I consider such a thick girdle as just hiding weight, without contributing to the beauty of the stone.

In the same way, I wonder what your range is for a ''just right pavilion angle''. Is it ranging somewhere from 36 to 43? An angle of 37° seems rather low to me, but it could be that in combination with the very high crown of 47, one ends up with a very nice combo. Chances are slim, however.

All in all, the stone has a very nice idealscope, but we have to add that the idealscope is not the best tool to judge fancy shapes.

Your comment would have been correct, if you had refrained mentioning the girdle and the pavilion. As in most traditionally cut princesses, the pavilion-side is cut crappily anyway, this stone will definitely stand out, because of a good crown-side.

Live long,

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for your insight paul
35.gif

i''m glad you agree that chris will be getting a nice stone for his money, which is what he was worried about.
2.gif

cdub101

Rough_Rock
Thanks folks. It''s amazing that folks are so receptive to help.

I can''t claim to be an expert or anything. I''m just going for the best bang for the buck. @ $4,500 for 1.27ct that''s what I want to understand if I''m getting. I want it to look good amongst it''s peers. At that same price point I was looking at 1ct''s that would go up a color grade or two or have slightly smaller table or girdle. But if those characterstics are mildly noticeable I''d rather add some size.

I''ll post some pics once I get the wax and things done.

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results