shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Question from a newbit

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Angela1977

Shiny_Rock
**Apparently, I can't type, but the subject is supposed to say "newbie"...it's late afternoon Friday, so please cut me some slack.**

Hey everyone...been lurking for the past couple of days and I thought I'd register to ask a couple of questions (and tell everyone how beautiful their rings are!).

My BF and I have been looking quite a bit...it's a fairly daunting task, but it's been fun at times. I haven't been really picky (certain requirements, ie--no brilliant cut, no pear, etc), but once I told him kind of what I wanted, I sent him a couple of links and he really liked what he saw.

My first question is do any of you know anything about Scott Kay rings?
Here's the conumdrum...
The jeweler here where we found the ring said that once you get the stone (which we're not getting from this jeweler), it had to be sent off and the ring would be "custom fitted" for the diamond, and that it would take 8-10 weeks to get it back. The time doesn't bother me. However, we found the ring on line at another jeweler in Atlanta, he called down there and the lady said that there is a range that that setting will accomodate. He told them what sort of stone we were getting, and she said that would be fine.

Does anyone know the true skinny on this? I have a slightly hard time swallowing that each ring is custom made for the diamond. While it's a nice concept, I don't understand why another jewelry store would say something different. It's not like we're getting a 5-ct or something ridiculous like that...so the lady in Atlanta sounds a little more plausible. *sigh* So complicated.

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have!

35.gif

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Scott Kay ring and the jeweler I used told me what the first jeweler told you -- that each setting is made for your specific diamond. So I gave the jeweler my diamond and he sent it to Scott Kay. It only took 4 weeks though, not the 8-10 that your jeweler told you (unless Scott Kay is backlogged from Valentine's Day still).

My setting is the 3 stone setting you see in all his ads. Because of the swoop and angle the side diamonds are on, it would make sense that my particular setting was made to fit my particular center stone. I would imagine if you had a solitaire or a setting where the head is a little more interchangable, the setting would not have to be custom for each center stone.

Which jeweler is correct? I don't know. I know my particular jeweler wouldn't touch my diamond - he said that SK is better off setting your diamond anyway.

Melinda

Shiny_Rock
I just love Scott Kay rings! They''re so beautiful!
30.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d think it depends on the setting. I wouldn''t see why a simple 4 prong setting couldn''t fit a standard size stone that it was made for, but with a more complicated ring SK would need the stone. If I were going to buy a SK ring, I really like the idea of knowing they made the setting just for my stone
1.gif

Angela1977

Shiny_Rock
This may sound paranoid, but we were talking to an appraiser, and he said that his mother had sent a diamond off to be mounted and they sent back a different stone. Just happens that her son was an appraiser so they got busted. Is this something I should be remotely worried about? I know Scott Kay is a reputable establishment, but I''m just trying to think of contingencies here.

Thanks again!!!
3.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Diamond switching does happen but usually the risk is too great for the payoff. I would not worry about it with a large, well-known company like SK.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results