shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Please, which would you pick?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone, I need your help. I'm struggling with my choice for a solitaire pendant. I'm looking at 4 stones that are approx the same size and pricing. They seem pretty close to me but I am not an expert and haven't actually seen them yet. I plan on calling vendors on Monday. Any thoughts from the experts on these four?

Sorry! ETA Dimensions:
1] .75 F VS2, depth - 61.7, table - 55, CA - 34.7, PA - 40.8, girdle med to s. thick, no flor.
5.81 - 5.83 x 3.59

2] .83 F VS2, depth - 61.5, table - 55, CA - 34.4, PA - 41, girdle med faceted, Med blue flor.
6.03 - 6.07 x 3.72

3] .84 F VS1, depth - 61.3, table - 56, CA - 34.6, PA - 41, girdle thin to med faceted, no flor.
6.06 - 6.1 x 3.73

4] .805 E VS1, depth - 60.71, table - 56.53, CA - 34.09, PA - 40.88
6.012 - 6.038 x 3.658

karenleah15

Shiny_Rock
I am a firm believer in seeing the diamond before you purchase it. You have to see which one speaks to you.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you could add the dimensions, that would be great
2.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, HCA scores of 1.4, 1.7, 1.8, and 1.2 respectively. Not too much difference, although #s 1 and 4 got 3 exs and 1 vg, while #s 2 and 3 got 3 vgs and 1 ex.

In favor of each . . .

#1 Considerably smaller diameter with the lowest color/clarity combo (not that F/VS2 is "low," I just mean the price should reflect that) . . . if the price isn''t lower to boot, I''d pass. But if you want to save some money for something else, a good option. 3 exs and 1 vg on HCA

#2 Has med. blue flourescence, which you might like, although an F certainly doesn''t need it for masking. 3 vgs and 1 ex on HCA

#3 Has the largest diameter and VS1 clarity, so if the price is similar, might represent "more bang for your buck." 3 vgs and 1 ex on HCA

#4 Has the highest color/clarity combo, so again, if the price is the same, you might like bumping up the grades. 3 exs and 1 vg on HCA

OK, really, it''s all splitting hairs. There''s nothing screaming, "Buy me! I''m better than the rest!" But if you''re not going to view them first, I''d go for size assuming that cut is comparable and eliminate #1. I''d eliminate #2 for the flourescence, and then I''d pick between #3 (better clarity, larger diameter) and #4 (best HCA score).

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
I''m definitely not an expert, but I agree that you definitely don''t need flouresence (especially that strong) in an F colored stone. I also noticed your quote in your signature about wanting a 2 carat princess... If you are willing to go lower in color and go with some flouresence unless you are extremely color sensitive you won''t notice and you can come closer to 2 carats, ok not that much closer, but you can definitely get a bigger stone. I see you have been around for awhile so you probably know all this already, but you didn''t really say much about size, etc...

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
It''s really hard to compare these stones just based on numbers, and no visual comparison. Like others have suggested, it would really help if you check them out in person. Or at least get an idea. That way, you can compare which one is the biggest, sparkliest, fiery, whitest, etc. There are a lot of factors that play into a diamond''s beauty (or lack of), and just because it looks good on paper doesn''t mean it looks good in person. One may have the largest spread for the carat, but it may be cut too shallow. One diamond may have the largest carat weight, but it can be cut too deep. And so on.

Good luck, and I hope you find the rock that you want!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me based solely on the #'s...and there is enough info here to at least give some idea of opinions...

I like #1 or #4. If they are the same price roughly, then #4 as it has the largest diameter spread and best numbers from my perspective, and is larger ctw so you aren't losing anything. #1 is pretty small compared to #4 and also has a sl. thick girdle in there.

#2 and #3 have 41 pav angles which are not my favorites....sure if you have nothing else but 41 pav angles to buy, it's not a huge slouch, but when you are confronted with a pav of 40.8 or similar instead of a 41 and corresponding positive crown angles, the 41 pav angles get thrown out of my bed everytime. According to some of the experts, stones really lose it around 41 pav angle...and they say tiny differences (aka 40.9 to 41) is a bigger deal than a crown angle variation or table/depth variation. So I pay alot of attention to pav angles personally.

My choice would be #4 if costs are very similar amongst the 4 stones. I love those specs and the carat weight is nice too.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
For a pendant id consider looking for a diamond in the c: 34.8 p: 40.6 range they arent the best in rings but they rock in pendants.
They will give a little better spread too vs 34.8/40.8 range stones.
Im hoping to post more on this sometime this weekend but it might not get done in time.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
#4 just from the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results