shape
carat
color
clarity

Help picking a Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hkm25

Rough_Rock
Hi, I''ve been lurking for a while and decided it''s time for my first post! I''m looking for a sapphire and was wondering if anyone could take a look at these 3 stones and tell me which, if any, is the best option. I would love one that hasn''t been heat treated some day, but for now the heated ones fit my budget better. I''ll post the next 2 separately in this topic because I don''t know how to attach more than 1 image.

Stone #1

Origin: Ceylon
Color: Blue
Treatment: Heat
Size: 6.6x6.2mm
Weight: 1.62 Ct.

Sapphireoption1.jpg

hkm25

Rough_Rock
Option #2

Size: 6.3x5.8x4.1mm
Weight: 1.26 Ct.

sapphireoption2.jpg

hkm25

Rough_Rock
Option #3

Size: 5.7x5.2x4.0mm
Weight: 0.95 Ct.

sapphireoption3.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, #1 looks pretty dark to me. #2 looks somewhat gray. So I think I would choose #3 based on those photos. Any chance you could see them in person?

hkm25

Rough_Rock
They are on Simply Sapphires website. Do you think if I ordered it and then decided I didn''t like it they would let me return it?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are these from Simply Sapphires by any chance?? I don''t know if it is my monitor or not, but I also see a little purple in the top stone.

Of all three, I like the last one. I agree with Icekid, ask them if they could send them to you, so you can see them in person.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh you answered my question ha. I am sure they would let you return it, if you didn''t care for it. I hear that they are a wonderful company.

hkm25

Rough_Rock
Great, thanks so much for your replies. I think I''m going to keep looking for a while, and then maybe get the third stone if I don''t find anything better.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I would keep looking. What exactly size are you looking for? It looks like you don''t mind heating. Is there any other specific criteria you are looking for?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I like the color of #1 (it''s not the most desirable color for a sapphire since it''s a bit too dark but I love it''s saturation) and the cut of #2. But it also depends on the design of the piece the stone will go to (whether it''s more simplistic or ornate, contemporary or antiqueish...), choice of metal, type of side or accent stones, would it be an everyday piece etc.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first one has a violet undertone; it is pretty and I just want to be sure that’s the colour you are looking for. It might be a little on the dark side but the colour is very saturated.
The second is pale and very gray
The third has better tone and saturation, with some gray. It is appears slightly violetish.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the violet color the first has, but still looks a bit dark, but if you only had those three choices, I actually like #3

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/15/2009 9:19:31 AM
Author: D&T
I like the violet color the first has, but still looks a bit dark, but if you only had those three choices, I actually like #3
I totally agree with D&T! The color in the first stone speaks to me but I''d worry about it being too dark. I would keep looking!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s funny I was also going to ask if these were from simply sapphires. #1 I like the best, but never ordered it, thinking it would be too dark. Only way to find out about that is order it
11.gif
. The other ones are not bad, just don''t sing to me.

hkm25

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of your replies. I''m looking for a cushion cut, preferably more square sapphire for a white gold or platinum ring with a diamond halo. I''m not sure exactly what to look for in a sapphire other than color. I love the color of the first one, but I''m worried it would be too dark in real life. The second is kind of light for my tastes, and I''m just not sure about the third. I think I''m going to keep looking.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 7:27:28 PM
Author: hkm25
Thanks for all of your replies. I''m looking for a cushion cut, preferably more square sapphire for a white gold or platinum ring with a diamond halo. I''m not sure exactly what to look for in a sapphire other than color. I love the color of the first one, but I''m worried it would be too dark in real life. The second is kind of light for my tastes, and I''m just not sure about the third. I think I''m going to keep looking.

If you have a good idea of what you want (and it seems you do!), it might be easier to contact a couple vendors and see what they have. They can also specifically search for you, as well.

hkm25

Rough_Rock
I''ve found a few more options. Here is the first. I love the color, but I''m a bit concerned about the size. Do you think it would be way too small? I do like daintier jewelry, but I''m not sure this would be worth it.

Size: 5.6x5.6x3.3mm
Weight: 0.81 Ct.

sapphoption4.jpg

hkm25

Rough_Rock
Another option. On the website they said this is lighter and more lively in person.

Treatment: None
Size: 6.9x6x4mm
Weight: 1.55 Ct.

sapphoption5.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
For the size, it depends on what you are comfortable with. I have a 5.5 mm stone and a 6.7 mm stone. I prefer the larger one on my hand :), but that is just my taste. I would go to a store and try a few rings on to get an idea of size.

Have you also tried Pala Gems? You can look for stones and than ask a vendor who is contracted with them about price

ETA: So never-mind about Pala, I did a search for sapphires <2 cts and only found one stone with some potential. And honestly, I like the first stone you put up better. But make sure you are truly happy with whatever you buy. Sometimes it takes a little time to find the perfect stone, but it is worth the wait.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Of the second batch I like the first one better, cause with white gold/platinum and diamonds you should pay attention to some things; first, color should have a nice degree of saturation cause an all-white setting might take some of it out (visually) and such settings don''t look like much when set with a washed out stone. The second thing is the contrast, cause a dark stone will get even darker in such a setting, not just because it''s set (all stones darken slightly after being set), but also because of a strong contrast between light and dark. In terms of size, I think you don''t have to get a huge stone even if you like large jewellery, cause you can always have a more elaborate setting done around the stone to make a statement. Hope this helps.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of the new batch you posted, I like the first one. If you feel it is too small, I’d keep looking. The right stone is out there and sometimes the search might take a few weeks. Be patient and you’ll be extremely pleased when the right stone comes along. The second one isn’t very saturated – a little dark and gray.

jleb

Rough_Rock
Trade
Here''s a 1.1 carat Montana sapphire, that has a 200k diamond polish on it. No grey mask, so you don''t have to always look overseas for a good sapphire. It''s from Rock Creek, Mt. Heat only.

MS 100k.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/15/2009 10:14:09 PM
Author: hkm25
I''ve found a few more options. Here is the first. I love the color, but I''m a bit concerned about the size. Do you think it would be way too small? I do like daintier jewelry, but I''m not sure this would be worth it.

Size: 5.6x5.6x3.3mm
Weight: 0.81 Ct.
like this one.. pretty

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 9:33:16 PM
Author: jleb
Here''s a 1.1 carat Montana sapphire, that has a 200k diamond polish on it. No grey mask, so you don''t have to always look overseas for a good sapphire. It''s from Rock Creek, Mt. Heat only.
Holy Mother of Pearl!!! That is a beauty!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results