shape
carat
color
clarity

Help or Advice with specific setting and diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

philip214

Rough_Rock

Hello All! I would appreciate any feedback you guys and gals can give me. I am planning to ask my girlfriend to marry me by the end of the year.

Basically what I know is I want to keep it under 10,000 with tax. The ring we like is the Scott Kay split shank (5/8 Carat). Bailey Banks and Biddle has this ring.
Here is a link to the setting. Hopefully this works.
http://www.baileybanksbiddle.com/catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?productID=16324428&cm_cat=ink&cm_ven=paidsrch&cm_pla=unknown&cm_ite=

For the center stone I have been looking on Blue Nile and found an ideal cut princess stone, approximatelty VS1/VS2, G in color, and around 1 carat. Obviously, I am willing to work on these specs to get it within my price range and upgrade the diamond later on.

I believe if I go through Bailey Banks for this ring it will cost significantly over 10,000. I have been debating other ways to do this to make it work.

1) To get the Scott Kay band at Bailey Banks and buy the diamond from Blue Nile for example and have Bailey Banks put the diamond in. I do not know how that will go over with them? or vice versa?

2) Go to a private company to make this ring.

3) Scratch this ring all together because it will not work under 10,000 and if it does work it will look ridiculous to have this setting have a 1 carat or under diamond in the center.

Basically I am confused and do not know what to do. I know that we do like that band however I have other concerns as well. If I go through a private company, I obviously want it to be reputable and for them to make a quality ring and not just throw the cheapest parts together.

I currently live in Northeast Ohio but travel to Michigan and South Florida quite often.

I do not know what help any of you can offer but any advice would be appreciated.

So to sum this up:
1) Am I being too unrealisitc with the ring and diamond I have selected for my price range?
2) What is the best way to go about getting a quality ring for approximately the criteria I have selected and my price range? Are there other specifications you would recommend that would be ideal for this ring and my price range?

Thank you for any replies!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a Gorgeous setting. I would suggest contacting Bill Pearlman pearlmansjewelers He carries Scott Kay and is a well respected Vendor here on PS and is located in Michigan.

You can definitely do better than Blue Nile on the price of the stone. Do a search here on the homepage and plug in your specs and see what comes up. I know Bill would be happy to help you find a stone as well.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Philip,

I have a scott kay and I used a diamond I already had and the jeweler I purchased the setting from set the diamond! I have tried on the setting you are thinking of and it takes a one carat to a one and half carat center stone, I think a one carat will be fine. It is a pretty setting! I think you should contact Bill Pearlman if you live near there he may be your best option.

Lori
21.gif

Edit to add: you should get your stone thru a internet vendor this way your budget will be fine and I truly believe you will get a better stone. When I was married if I had known about diamonds better, I would definitely got my diamond thru a vendor . I had whiteflash make my 3 carat eternity band and I love it! Could not be happier!
30.gif

philip214

Rough_Rock
You ladies are awesome! I really appreciate your time and your replies! I have emailed Pearlman''s and will wait to see what they have to say.

Thank you for letting me know about the 1 carat fitting that setting.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You will be in very good hands with Bill Pearlman. I love that Scott Kay setting, it''s just beautiful. You can do much better than Blue Nile for your stone!! Good luck and let us know what Pearlman''s has to say!!!

EZ

Rough_Rock
Nice ring! I think there are lots of people that could build something like this for you but I do not think they would necessarily be able to do it for less money. You might find a merchant that sells Scott Kay a bit less expensively though. You can search Scott Kay directly at http://www.scottkay.com/bridal/retailers.aspx.

Are you sure you want a princess cut center stone with round side stones? It seems a bot odd to me but then again, I am not buying or wearing it.

As for stones, here is a one and a quarter carat princess that might be available. It would seem to fit in your budget of 10,000 given $4,000 is going to the setting.
http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1684262.htm

This one looks nice but you'll need to shave $800 off of the ring setting. http://www.niceice.com/certcopies/gia13372589/index.htm

This one is almost there, $75 over budget but you might find a better deal on the setting:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_02ct_g_vs1_princess.htm

The goodoldgold site also has a tutorial on princess cut diamonds that might interest you.

The last ia a 1.2 ct. SI2 that is a bit rectangular, that might work for you though.
http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/149.html

There are hundreds of Princess cut stones available on the search tool https://www.pricescope.com/sift.aspx

Best of luck!

philip214

Rough_Rock
Carl,

I appreciate the advice! I picked princess because that is the cut my girlfriend likes however now that you opened my eyes to that aspect, I may have to look closer. What cut do you feel would look best in that setting?

I am currently looking at a trillion different stones on the internet and feel much better that I can possibly pull this off. I feel so relieved! Thank you all and if you continue to have opinions, I greatly appreciate any input, good, bad, or ugly!

I did mention in my email to Pearlman''s that this site recommended me to them. I have learned more in a few hours on PS than many months of my own research. Thanks again!

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t realize you meant princess. Ask them if princess will work in that setting. I believe its for a round. They may could change the head on the ring to fit the princess. Also, you may want to view a princess in that ring.
21.gif

EZ

Rough_Rock

Philip,

I think the setting you chose is gorgeous. Personally I just don''t know that a square center with round side stones catches my eye. You and your GF may feel differently and if you do then go for it! I would like to see maybe pear or heart shaped side stones. Or, even princess side stones. Again - that''s just me.

You can get a good look at what other people think are great settings here https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/forum.asp?forumID=8

Honestly, it really is about what you and your girlfriend like though!

kellydolour

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I have this exact engagement ring but with a radiant cut for the diamond. My husband had it specially made by Ariel Friedman of Beverly Hills. His store is located at www.icestore.com My husband sent a picture of the setting he wanted, picked the diamond 1 carat, and then had it made in three weeks. The ring is absolutely beautiful. Total cost was 8,500. 5000 for the center stone and 3500 for the setting. Ariel specializes in platinum diamond rings so whatever ideas he can help you out. We live in Colorado and had reservations about ordering over the phone and internet, but I seriously believe that my ring is drop dead gorgeous compared to the scott kay I saw in the jewelry store.

Hope this helps,

Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results