shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Opinions please - sorry long post

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aussiegirl

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone
35.gif

Firstly, like to thank everyone for your comments on my previous posts and am SO GLAD I found this AWESOME FORUM!!

Looking for opinions on my dilemma... will put in point form so it''s easy!

* Wedding is in 3 months!!!!... and have had a budget blowout so engagement ring budget is reduced
8.gif

* Have to include wedding rings also
* Budget for all rings is $3200AUD
* with all the info I have learned I am going for an ideal cut

* have evaluated purchasing from mdx (Australia) who have come up with the following:
- wedding rings (both white gold, not from mdx) $640
- e ring setting $420 (white gold)
- diamond - .65 J SI1 $1804 or .57 H SI1 $1917
- 10% GST $180-$190
- TOTAL $3044 or $3054

OR

* have evaluated rings from Whiteflash who has come up with the following:
- allow $480 AUD for customs and GST
- $2724 AUD converts to $2076 USD
- wedding rings (both platinum) $575
- e ring setting (platinum) $350
- diamond - .548 I SI2 H&A $1134
TOTAL $3171 AUD

** my dilemma is that they are both essentially the same price (give or take a few dollars) but..

- do I take the platinum rings/settings over the white gold
- and do I take advantage of whiteflash''s trade up policy. I definately do want to trade up to a 1 carat or higher by the end of the year (when we have a bit more cash), and mdx does not offer this policy at all....

any comments are appreciated, and sorry this is so long - I am obsessing about it!!

thanks guys
aussiegirl

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are thinking of trading up, I would chose the WF route. WF will give you 100% credit on the old WF stone and their prices are reasonable for the quality you are buying. Normal trading up of diamonds is a hassle and most consumers end up losing a lot of $$$ because you''ll rarely every get what you paid for the original diamond.

aussiegirl

Rough_Rock
Also - do you think a 4 prong or 6 prong claw would be better? I want (of course) to make it look as large as possible until I can upgrade!

thanks
aussiegirl

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the previous posters. I bought my ring from Whiteflash. They are very reliable and if you intend to upgrade, that would be your best option. They have access to a great many stones and Brian ,the cutter, examines every stone to make certain it is as described.
Also, I think platinum is preferable to gold. Their prices are great and I think you will make up for the duty with what you save by getting better value for your money.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
I''d certainly go for the Plat setting if you can afford it.

More hard wearing than White Gold, and less chance of a skin reaction to it.

If you''re planning to trade up anyway, whiteflash makes great sense.

Are you buying in the US because the dollar is weak? Would you save money on this ring and the trade up if you bought locally? (with no customs?) I''m guessing you''ve thought about all of this.

I''m working with whiteflash now on my resetting, and they''ve been fantastic. Every ring that I''ve seen that they''ve produced (via photos on this site) have looked so good!

Best of luck to you, and most importantly, CONGRATS! Mary

Cath

Shiny_Rock
As far as 4 vs. 6 prong, I don''t know if one makes the diamond look bigger than the other. Usually, it''s just a matter of preference and which look you like better.

I went to Bluenile and popped a .55ct diamond into both versions so you can get an idea of how it might look.

Here''s the 4 prong

bn4prong.jpg

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Here''s the 6 prong

bn6pronga258.jpg

bling

Shiny_Rock
Id also go with WF and in the future be able to take advantage of their trade up policy. especially if you know youll be doing that in the future. they have awsome stuff, and their customer service is fantastic!
as far as prongs go, i think its just personal preference..as both in platinum will be plenty secure. i personally like the look of six prongs.. but its all about you! good luck and congrats!
36.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I think 4 prongs makes the diamond look bigger. There are less prongs to hide the diamond.

As for bands, while I got a plat setting for the engagement ring, we plan on getting white gold for the bands. Is she going to wear both? If so, then match the E-ring. If she''s just gonna wear the e-ring, get white gold cuz it''s cheaper.

We''re going for white gold bands cuz they''re cheaper. They only cost like $40US or so. That''s for fairly plain ones with no diamonds in them. I like it cheap and simple (thus white gold) cuz it''ll get a lot of wear and tear. Plus, the white gold is lighter and less noticeable.

rms

Brilliant_Rock
I think the WF option is the way to go. I debated for a long time on gold or platinum and went with platinum in the end.

4 or 6 prongs definitely personal preference. I personally prefer the look of 4 prongs.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think the 6 prong offers more protection for your diamond........

aussiegirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all of your help! I have decided to go with WF and get the 6 prong in plat. Will be trading up to my 1 carat (or more if I can convince hubby) by the end of the year!!! They have advised that I can even keep the same ring, they will just replace the head! Thanks again for all your advice - I am so happy I found this forum!

aussigirl
36.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
just remember to post pics when you get the ring!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results