shape
carat
color
clarity

help on three stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newbee/uk

Rough_Rock
about to buy 1 of three stones from blue nile, and would be grateful of any help or advice in which one to buy, or recommendions
36.gif

0.40, ideal cut, h colour, vvs2, depth 60.1%, table 57% sym ideal, polish ideal, girdle thin, culet pointed, fluor none 4.80x4.83 $926 (clarity characteristics none stated on ags report)

0.39, ideal cut, h colour, vvs1, depth 60.5%, table 56%, sym excellent, polish excellent, girdle med, culet none, fluor faint, 4.75x4.77x2.88 $926 (clarity characteristics cloud)

0.42, ideal cut, colour h, vvs2, depth 60.2%, table 57%, sym excellent, polish vg, girdle thin faceted, culet none, fluor none, 4.86x4.88x2.93 $982 (clarity characteristics pinpoint)

it has taken me ages to write this(two finger typing) so all help will be grateful
26.gif

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! Welcome to Pricescope.......

I''m sure that you''ve been reading up on the subject and it would help if you could get more information from BN. Information such as Crown and Pavilion angles (you can get these from the AGS certificate but BN would need to get you the info if the stone has a GIA certificate) will enable you to use the HCA tool (great for weeding out poor performers):

HCA

Are you determined to use BN? You can look at the Pricescope Database by cut quality if you want to see the HCA scoring:

Diamonds by Known Cut

There are links to other internet vendors who have a good reputation here on Pricescope. You may even save yourself some money.

Are you based in the UK? If so check the return policy on any of the stones you buy as getting them back to the vendor if they don''t suit is a bit of a nightmare. You''ll need to get the stone insured on the way back as none of the couriers will cover that in their insurance!

Hope this helps.......

newbee/uk

Rough_Rock
hi thanks for the kind reply the first diamond has a ags report, so i will check the hca for that, and yes i do live in the uk.

newbee/uk

Rough_Rock
WITH CHECKING THE HCA THE RESULTS FOR THE FIRST ONE IS
Factor Grade
Light Return Very Good
Fire Very Good
Scintillation Very Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Excellent
Total Visual Performance 1.7 - Excellent
within TIC range

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS THEN
36.gif

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
Are you looking for a particular size or are you trying to stay under 1000 USD?

If you are looking for an eye clean stone I think that you'll find better value with VS2 or even some of the SI1's.

Other people have also raved about colours as high as J in platinum, so if cost and size are a priority, have you thought about getting an I colour stone? Other tips to getting a whiter looking stone include excellent cut (H&A or near to this) and blue fluoresence which will brighten your stone in daylight.

I'm sure other people will chip in with their suggestions!

Why not try entering your criteria into the 'search by known cut quality' link i.e.colour F - I; size 0.3 - 0.6; clarity VVS2 - SI1; include H&A and AGS 0; Cut Grade Excellent and see what comes out for your budget?

I've dealt with Whiteflash over in Houston and they were very helpful. Bagpuss is based in the UK and she may have tips on buying.

You may also want to check up on the Customs & Excise website for duties because as soon as it comes through customs you will have to pay VAT (17.5%) and import duty (2.5%) plus ad valoreum duty of (8.5%?).
29.gif
I avoided most of this by living in Bahrain but still got nobbled for 2%.

See this link for someone else in the UK who bought from WF:

UK Importation

And this one for tips on buying whilst abroad:

Buying Abroad

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to PS.

That HCA score (1.7) indicates this should be a great looker.

May I offer an additional suugestion ? Go down from VVS2 to at least VS-2 and save some money. At your diamond size I would also suggest you consider going down further to SI-1. Many of us here have bought SI-1''s that were perfectly eye clean, especially when you consider an ideal (or super ideal) cut diamond - and at the size (.4ct) you are thinking of.

Oh - and yes you can save a some (4-8%) money if you go to some of the PS listed E-Vendors on the main page instead of bluenile - BUT - Bluenile is a fine company as has quite the list of diamonds to look at - particularly in the under .5ct range. Stick to looking at Bluenile''s AGSL Ideal/Ideal diamonds and use the HCA caculator to weed out the best (under 2.0).

Enjoy !

newbee/uk

Rough_Rock
MANY THANKS FOR YOUR REPLYS, WILL HAVE A LOOK A FURTHER DIAMONDS, I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT THE ONLY FURTHER CHARGE TO THE UK WAS VAT @17.5% ON LOOSE STONES, IF THIS IS INCORRECT WHAT IS THE FULL ADDITIONAL CHARGES TO BE LEVIED

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The advalorem charge at the moment is 14%. Import duty is 5%. VAT IS 17.5%.

Advalorem charge is still going up by 1% per month until 1 March 2005 when it will be 17%. This duty will be reviewed at that time regarding the WTO dispute. I wonder if it will ever go down. The rate of advalorem has been rising by 1 percent each month so it would have been 8% in June 2004 but no longer is.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
p.s. not sure about loose diamonds. You could check with the Customs and Excise Office.

newbee/uk

Rough_Rock
HAVE SPOKEN TO CUSTOM'S THERE IS NO ADDITIONAL CHARGES FOR LOOSE DIAMONDS ONLY THE DREADED VAT
29.gif
, BLUENILE CHARGE THE VAT ON THE ORDER, DO THEY, THEN IN TURN, PAY THE CUSTOMS ON ARRIVAL IN THE UK?
WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ON THE FIRST DIAMOND?

newbee/uk

Rough_Rock
ABOUT TO HIT THE BUY BUTTON FOR THE FIRST STONE ANY FURTHER HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED ON THIS STONE, IS THIS A GOOD STONE
20.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Newbee,

Stone 1 looks good, and also, having checked, it''s not clear that you can do better with the databases of options presented here.

Sounds like you''ve done well.

newbee/uk

Rough_Rock
THANKS FOR THE REPLY, ANY OTHERS, TO HELP NUDGE ME, ON THE WAY,
36.gif
WITH THIS STONE

newbee/uk

Rough_Rock
HELP STILL NEED, SILL NOT BOUGHT THIS STONE, IS THERE ANY OTHER EXPERTS ON THIS FORUM THAT CAN PUT MY MIND TO REST AND TELL ME THAT THIS A VERY GOOD DIAMOND FOR ITS SIZE AND TICKS ALL THE RIGHT BOXES.
YOUR HELP IS MUCH APPRICATED.
35.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond you are considering looks lovely. Are you sure you want vvs stones as otherwise you could get a bigger diamond for the same money.

Have you made arrangements to get someone to set the stone for you as the jewellers I have asked will not set a loose stone not purchased from them. I have not looked at going the custom route though and getting a ring built to a particular design. I am also worried about insurance if I should do that as I have heard it is difficult to get insurance upon a loose stone so what happens if it goes missing at the jewellers or he accidentally chips it when mounting it etc. Just wondered if you have already got solutions to these types of scenarios.

I am a consumer - not a trained professional.

newbee/uk

Rough_Rock
WELL I FINALLY TOOK THE PLUNGE
41.gif
AND ORDERED THE FIRST STONE FROM BLUENILE, HOPEFULLY IT WILL LOOK AS NICE IN ROCK FORM
30.gif
, AS IN PAPER. MANY THANKS FOR EVERYONE''S HELP.
35.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for you.

Can you let us know what happens with the VAT (and if no customs charges) etc? Thanks.

newbee/uk

Rough_Rock
HI ALL, FEDEX HAS JUST DELIVERED THE PARCEL TO MY HOUSE,(PITY I''M AT WORK
29.gif
), NOT BAD GOING ORDERED ON 10th RECIEVED TODAY AT 13.00
36.gif
. SOO FAR ONLY CHARGES ARE [email protected]% WHICH BLUENILE CALCULATED IN THERE TOTAL ORDER. LOOK FORWARD TO GETTING HOME AND SEEING THE REAL THING
30.gif
HOPEFULLY IT''S ALL THAT I EXPECT IT TO BE, NEED TO GET THE STONE SET NOW, THINKING ABOUT A TENSION SETTING, ANY IDEA''S WILL BE MUCH APPRICATED
41.gif

newbee/uk

Rough_Rock
Well i finally recieved the first diamond from Bluenile last week, yet didn''t want to post any further replies until i got an ideal scope.
Well the diamond is wonderful, the fire and Scintillation is intense, and from what i can see with the scope it has perfect hearts & arrows
30.gif
(not that i''m an expert)
I would like to thank everyone on the forum for all your opinions and help
35.gif

I would also recommend anyone else on the forum from the UK to take the plunge, you don''t have to go to B&M shop''s and pay over the odd''s for your diamond, read through the wonderful knowledge base here and buy from companies who sell quality stones.
I bought mine from bluenile, now available to the UK, recieved a excellent service from start to finish( thanks to Ed Taylor@Bluenile)
I still visit pricescope every day, and this is only the beginning of buying diamonds for my wife, need to start saving for the 1.0ct round that she deserves
36.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
congratulations on your diamond purchase!!
36.gif

do you have any pics to share?
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results