shape
carat
color
clarity

Help newbie on E.C.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

av

Rough_Rock

Hi,

I am looking for an Emerald cut stone for an engagement ring for my girlfriend. I have never bought any kind of diamond before!

We went to the L.A. jewelry district and found one that she really likes, and is very close to what I am happy with too, except it is a SI1.

From the GIA cert:
Measurements: 7.59 x 5.26 x 3.40
Weight 1.24
Proportions:
Depth 64.6%
Table 67%
Gride Thin to Medium
Cut. none
Finish
Polish good
Sym very good
clarity grade SI1
Color grade F
Fluor none

They quoted me $6472. They used the Rapaport Diamond Report chart to get the $/crt. She said it was around $5800/crt.

Doesn''t this seem high for that clarity? The inclusions are smack dab in the middle.

Also it seems to be a good cut but I do not know the crown height% so I can''t judge it. How do you find out the crown height?

We like the ratio not too square not extremely rectangular, I wish it was a VS2 and cheaper!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it eye clean? I saw a SI1 EC and could see the crystal (x3 because of the cutting) not pretty. Is it graded? If it has a report you can find out the angles. Honestly though the best tool for ECs is your eyes. How does it look? Do you like the shape? What setting are you putting it in? I have a VS1 and love it. Can you go higher in color so you can afford one with better clarity? To us, clarity was more important than color.

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
Since you've seen the stone yourself your in a pretty good position to say whether it's eye clean. Remember eye clean should be judged BEFORE you are told were any inclusions are so go off your first impression. If it is eye clean then I'd go for SI1 over VVS1 any day because why pay for what you can't see?

As for price, run a search through Pricescope and see what comes up.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its pretty rare to find any step-cut in SI clarity that would be eye-clean!!!
If the stone in subject is eyeclean, its a rare one.

I usually suggest to people to stick to VS2 and above in step-cuts..., and avoid "black" inclusions...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AV welcome to PS
35.gif
As Diagem says, an EC in an SI grade that is eyeclean is a rare find indeed. EC's and Asschers etc are not the best at hiding inclusions, they don't really have anywhere to hide! I adore EC's but would be more comfortable with a VS clarity, good suggestion to drop the colour and up the clarity as Tacori said. With many people a visible inclusion can drive them nuts so you have to decide if this is the case, especially if friends and family zone in on the inclusion and ask if there is dirt on the diamond
32.gif
Regarding the cut quality, there is a chart under knowledge which could help. If you aren't sure - pass, the right diamond will come along, but if you DO find an SI grade that is eyeclean and you like it -pounce!
31.gif

Take a look at this chart http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc2.asp for EC's and Radiants to see if this helps.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
I found this one in about your same price range, it''s a G color, though, not sure how you feel about that. 1.22c, VS2 clarity

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=130&item=323322

Since you indicated there are inclusions are right smack in the middle, I''m assuming you can see them - that the diamond isn''t eye clean?

I''m a die-hard lover of EC''s...and I agree with the others. Finding one that is an SI and eye clean is gonna be a challenge!

or..if you''re wiling to go a LITTLE bit smaller:
http://www.whiteflash.com/emerald/Emerald-cut-diamond-2362464.htm

This one is a 1.2 e/VS2 - and about $1k under the price you have listed.

just some ideas.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
The numbers look ok, but I agree with the others- be careful of that SI1 clarity with an EC...it seems like you can see the inclusions by what you already posted, and that is worrisome.

If I were you I would drop down in color like the others said and stick with the VS''s, go for something like a G/VS1/2 combo-you wont see any color and you wont have to worry about the inclusions at all...

Do some searching here on PS, put in your preferences, and see what comes up. Are you opposed to buying from an online vendor??? It will most likely save you some $$$$....

av

Rough_Rock
Hi, thank you for all the responses.

Yes it is a black inclusion. She can see it with her "eye", I thought I could see it but my eyes are not as good.

Funny thing is that I e-mailed a place about a certain diamond and a few days later my girlfreind e-mailed a different place which turns out to be the same diamond!! how funny. I didn''t know that they can do that!

I am some what worried about buying it online. But Whiteflash had an excellant e-mail response and said they could give a sarin report and send pictures, that I like and make me feel better about buying it online.

She really loves the look of the diamond I mentioned, she looked at a few and loves how it looks the best. I think if I can find one close to the same measurerments, and look at pictures of it that we can go that route.

Thanks

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
Yes it is a black inclusion. She can see it with her ''eye'', I thought I could see it but my eyes are not as good.
Sorry to say, it''s her ''eye'' (and her girlfriends'') that counts
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results