shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed with Setting Ideas - Red Spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I posted a picture of a red spinel a while back and haven''t had much luck getting any further with setting ideas.

For some reason I am stuck on Leon''s 5 stone with half moons and tapered baguettes.

Any ideas an input would be most welcomed please.

I already have a halo, split shank on a roval shaped colored stone. The jeweller botched that job, but thats another story.

Its the spinel in my avatar.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Can you still post a picture of it- for us lazy people?

Are you a fan of bezel or prong settings?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
What''s the size of the stone? Can you make a photo with it on your hand (that could help)? Do you have some style preferences or particular dislikes? Links to photos of designs you like might also help with ideas.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Found the original thread so no need for specs or handshots (but do provide some info on your style preferences). Honestly, I like your spinel more when it's oriented east-west, than the traditional way, north-south. That brings out the fact that it's an elongated cut, while N/S seems to me like it's making it more roundish. But if you'd like it to be more roundish, than that's the way to go
9.gif
I'm pretty sure bezel is out of the question for this one (won't do the stone any good) as well as a halo (would make the whole thing rather huge and possibly darken the stone). But something like ruby rings shown on THIS page might work amazingly good, turn out really original and unusual and maybe even (like that's not important
9.gif
) suit your taste - since you like domed ruby rings. These don't have pave, or any diamonds for that matter, but they'd bring out that rich red color beautifully, and work with the stone's size and shape. Is it too unusual for you?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
No objections from me, but it''s hard to tell if the desired effect would be the same with your stone, compared to an all white look of those diamonds. Can you do some photos of the stone next to various colors of metals (like chains and stuff), so that we can see how it would look with each - unless you''re 100% determined to go with white gold/platinum.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely color. How big is it?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
are you wanting to go completely custom? or something that is premade? like the Lord of Gem Rings from Ebay?

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Sparkles, that stone is lovely! I''ve always thought something like this discontinued Vera Wang would be beautiful for a red cushion. You''d have to go custom, though...

Forsparkles.jpg

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
Have you seen the spinel Legacy Tiffany has? I know you said you have a halo, but it looks beautiful.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone have a ratio rule for settings? Weird question I know...

Hypothetically speaking ... say your centre stone cost USD $20k, what % amount should be spent on the setting...or you just at the end of the day get the setting you want regardless of percentages. Obviously one wouldn''t buy a $300 centre stone and spend $5k on the setting.

I would prefer to go custom for this setting, but to what extent

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkles,
I’ve seen it done both ways here on PS. I’ve seen the $300 center stone in a $5K setting and also vice versa. At the end of the day, it is your preference. I do think that a nice stone deserves an equally nice setting to set it off though.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Agree with Chrono, it''s up to you, but I also have to say that some settings just don''t do anything for the stones. In fact, I''ve seen wonderful stones with a lot of potential set in cheap settings (just for the sake of being set) and they looked...
14.gif
If it''s for that one special piece I wouldn''t spare money on getting the setting that will complement the stone in the best possible way and show off all it''s beauty. Now, that doesen''t mean that it has to cost a small fortune, but more that it has to be carefully chosen or (even better) designed. I don''t think there''s a formula, cause here we''re talking beauty, and it would be like asking someone to come up with a formula that''ll explain why is something beautiful - it''s a combination of elements that, if understood, can result in something wonderful. One more thing, I''d never try to save money by reducing the amount of metal needed to make a durable setting, or trying to compensate in that department by going with metals of lower purity (karatage), as in the long run that won''t get you truly satisfied with the piece.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results