shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed with design ideas for a custom college ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

icemyster

Shiny_Rock

Hello all!

I need much help!

After a long time of being in school, I have finally graduated with my Juris Doctorate. Now to commemorate the years of agony and pain with something nice. I am having my rings custom made by a well known designer here, who shall remain nameless

1.gif
, and the design is up to me. My wife is an artist and she is going to render something for me, but she has asked me for ideas, and I hard pressed for anything...I kind of know what I want on the ring, but putting it all together is very difficult.

I don''t want your typical signet ring...

I kind of don''t want any stones in the ring...just all metal.

I want something really crazy looking....something that makes people go WOW...

I am thinking something very wide...about 10 - 12mm.

I have really big hands, so carrying a ring that size is no problem.

I have not decided if I want to make the ring for my middle finger or right ring finger...I have a really awesome ring, I have attached the picture, for my right ring finger already, so that means they would have to share time, but my wife thinks that rings don''t look good on the middle finger, and i have to say I kind of agree with her. Anyway...I digress.

I have some artwork that I have collected to adorn the ring...I will post that in subsequent posts...I know that many of the members of this forum are very design talented women and men who can help me come up with some great ideas for what I should do, and help me explain what I want to my wife so she can draw it.

I am open to any idea...no matter how crazy, and I am looking forward to hearing what you think.

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post.

Tim

NN9687L.jpg

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
Here is some of the artwork I would like to incorporate.....

justice_bz_3.jpg

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
School Logo

obcl-seal.gif

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
Engraving on the inside I thought.....

engraving copy.jpg

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
Love this statue of Justice too...but perhaps she is a bit racy?

justice_lg.jpg

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
Just thinking...don''t know how I could use this...pretty cool....

supreme court.jpg

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
Last one...for now...if you have other suggestions...let me know...

US-Capital.jpg

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
I have no idea how to incorporate all of those elements into your ring, but I wanted to say congratulations on earning your JD!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tim!!! I don''t think we knew you were going to law school!!! Congratulations!!! But gosh, does this mean you are leaving GOG? I can''t imagine how you can be a diamond expert and lawyer at the same time!????????

What about some tablets with the 10 commandments on them for the ring?

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
Ten Commandments!!! I love it!!!!!!

Ok...here is another image for consideration...Just to clarity...not all of these items need to go on the ring...these are just suggestions....

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
10 commandments....

10-command.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IceM, could you do some sort of wide/cigar band ring and incorporate most of the artwork/themes you''ve posted? I''m thinking of a very wide band ( you posted that you''d like something 10-12 mm wide) with the law symbol/sculpture, then the house/columns, then the school logo, etc...I think you could have a very cool and different class ring and maybe you could even incorporate your school colors with a couple teeny gemstones set into the ring (sans prongs, of course) and inscribe what you posted earlier on the inside or maybe even around the top of the band? Just thinking here and giving out ideas, but this is a wonderful and fun project and I just had to respond. I''m no good with photoshop so unfortunately I can''t give you any visuals, hopefully you and your sweetie get my ideas...

Also, congrats on your JD! It seems you''ve accomplished a lot in life so far, very impressive!
36.gif

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
Hi Monarch64,

I love that idea...I had been thinking something along that line too...I get what you are saying, and I had not even thought to include the school colors....but that is awesome!

Also thank you all for your congraduations....and thanks for the great ideas...I think the ring is starting to take shape in my mind.

More ideals are REALLY welcome!

Thanks all!

Tim

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m thinking this ring can tell a story... If it''s wide enough, you can do a panel of each image, thus no matter how the ring turns there is something that is meaningful to you and all your accomplishments. Cool project Tim, big congrats on your JD!!!!
36.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t imagine you saw Ocean''s band that she did for wink with the petroglyph type stick drawings that the client drew that she put on the ring like it told a story.... well I saw a ring at greenlake that was a square ring with four sides and each of the 4 sides told a different "story". I am actually thinking of doing something like this for my dh but with one side just plain for when he wants to look traditional.

I''ll attach a few but go through the bands here for inspiration: http://www.gljw.com/home.asp?s=gallery&cID=BND

greenlake storyband.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
then this one I just love.... it's so simple.

life but dream band.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is the four sided ring, you could have symbols from school like... I dunno, whatever you want really.

4sidedring.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
ONE more... I recommend you check out that link.... and I hope whomever you chose has a really good engraver!!!!!

onemoresymbolicband.jpg

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
Wow...very cool...I do really like that 4 sided ring...and the story is a great though...I had not thought about arranging the different elements in a time sequence...I am going to have to think that out....thanks for the great input!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
on one of the sides of the ring you could have just the scales of justice, skip the lady... I don''t think you''d have enough detail for that. Of course if you WANT racy you can always have female body parts etched on the other sides LOL
31.gif
(KIDDING!!!)

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
LOL!!! Happily married...and if I want to stay that way, I think I will skip any body parts going on the ring.
14.gif
That is what will happen to me if I do that...I am good....
17.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh this is Tim! I''m a little slow LOL I was wondering what the sigline was about LOL

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi! great idea. have you looked at the lawyer rings? if not google lawyer rings and there is a site that has posey rings and farther down the page some examples of lawyer rings. they are not as detailed as you want but some nice inscription ideas.

i agree with your original idea of no stones on the outside of the ring. if i wanted some stones with school colors i would try to incorporate them with the inside inscription. i think that it could get a little busy with the color and if you intend to practice sometimes things need to be a little conservative in some settings.

i like the scales of justice with or without the lady as well as the ten commandments. is the building with the columns the supreme court? if so that is good and it is attractive as well as appropriate. i will be thinking about this some more. please keep up up to date on this project. good luck!
1.gif
1.gif

eta: i am with you and the wife on the ring for the middle finger. i would stick to the ring finger.

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
Very cool...I like alot of those rings...those will be great to show to the designer because they are pretty much exactly what I want. I think I will end up having plenty of room to put stuff on the ring with it being so wide. I love the latin engraving...might have to find a way to put that on the ring too...it it fits in...I don''t want to force it....thanks for the link.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2007 4:16:21 PM
Author: icemyster
Engraving on the inside I thought.....
Just make sure it's spelled right...that looks wrong. I believe it's

jurispRUdence, not jurispURdence.
9.gif

I love that first pic of Justice...not too keen on the racy one.
3.gif
(it makes the ring seem less 'classy' to me)

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
FireGoddess,

Spelling was never my strong suit...go figure...I am with you...the racy one is out! I like the more conservative one...that is the one I will go with.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results