shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Needed : speak cantonese?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joeyman_1999

Rough_Rock
First Im sorry if this is the wrong forum, but it seems like the most active one :)

Just purchased a ring with major help from this site and the HCA.. but I need help!

Anyone know how you would propose in cantonese? just spell it out best as you can.. I do know some so I can prolly figure out what you mean.. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for ex, how would u say "will you marry me"

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Mmmm. Are you just planning on saying most of it in English then throwing out the "Marry me" as a sweet gesture? The formal way sounds cheesy, but if you're just sticking it at the end you can say,

"[Girlfriend's name], ga bei gnoah." "Marry to me." (You know, in other words, "Be married to me.") I can't figure out how to spell our the "me" phonetically but if you know Cantonese you know what word I'm thinking of.

Or, how about, "Ching lei jo gnoah tai tai." Please [you] be my wife."

joeyman_1999

Rough_Rock
thanks so much!!!!

I will be doing mostly english and throw that in at the end for fun :) I think I do know all the words you are talking about..

I was also told "ngo ho m ho yi cheui ngei" .. which do u think is best ( ie, not cheesy ;-) but still romantic..?

also, in sticking with the main goal of this forumm..

I just purchased a 1.25, f, vs2, HCA 1.4 round from blue nile.. it arrived in the standard 6 prong solitaire and its perfect! thanks to all on this board! ( Ive been lurking for a few weeks now ;-)

thanks again!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
How good is her Cantonese? I think that's sweet as well, but there's more room for error if the accent isn't spot on.

Last year we were actually at a wedding where the groom couldn't speak a word of Cantonese but grew up in a Cantonese family. He read this really sweet speech completely phonetically. His accent wasn't bad, but it was so obvious sometimes he was sounding out the words!

joeyman_1999

Rough_Rock
thanks for the tips! she is 100% fluent, haha.. and well I speak mandarin but not cantonese very well.. so there's definitley lots of room for error ;-)

I think Ill go with the short one haha.. but as long as you think all 3 are sweet and not too cheesy.. Ill think a bi more about which one to use :)

wish me luck!

oh, and thanks for taking the time to help!!! greatly apprecaited :)

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
I think it should be like:

"ga bei ngoh"

The last word is tricky... 'ngoah' may be mis-pronounced as ne-go-ah... which is not comprehensible. (It means 'me', btw).

It should be ng-oh.

'ng' is just a nasal sound. Put your tongue to the top of your mouth... and make a nasal sound.

'oh' is closer to 'or', but without the rrrrr sound?

Put it together... 'ngoh'!

... ga bei ngoh!

So much for Sasame Street in Cantonese.
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results