shape
carat
color
clarity

help needed fast

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jimmy999

Rough_Rock
hi friends...
i am in desprate need of some help here..
i am going to be (hopefully ) buying a
1.72 carat D colour Round, good cut SI2 engagement ring.....

what is a reasonaable price that i should be paying,, does 11500 sound right ??
and does this sound like a fairly nice ring.

thanks alot

cheers

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2006 12:27:54 AM
Author:jimmy999
hi friends...

thanks alot

cheers
unfortunately can''t tell too much from what you wrote...

i''d focus on getting a cut better than ''good''...aka i want excellent or ideal, not good.

in terms of an SI2 quality, make sure it''s eye-clean from all angles and graded by a reputable lab like AGS or GIA.

maybe i am insane but if i am spending $11k on something, i want it to be more than ''fairly nice''... make sure to do your research!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2006 12:27:54 AM
Author:jimmy999
hi friends...

thanks alot

cheers
At the top of the page you can pricescope your stone to see what similar stones are going for. Good luck and welcome to PS!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
also, depending on what you consider the good cut...here is a stone on the PS engine that are $3k less than what you quoted for that stone...it has nice specs even though it''s an EGL cert (which means its a little discounted over GIA and AGS), but it''s a huge price difference to the one you have.

1.71 D SI2
61.7% Depth; 55% Table
EGL Cert, Thin Girdle
EX/VG
Faint Fluor
7.74x7.79x4.79
$8016

jimmy999

Rough_Rock
sorry,, i guess i forgot to let you all know, that it has been cert. by GEMSCAN, and im talking in canadian dollars...

I guess what i would like to know is,, what is "prefered" by the masses out there,,,

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2006 12:45:37 AM
Author: jimmy999
sorry,, i guess i forgot to let you all know, that it has been cert. by GEMSCAN, and im talking in canadian dollars...

I guess what i would like to know is,, what is ''prefered'' by the masses out there,,,
okay so it looks like 11500 CAD is still 10600 US dollars. so you are still overpaying by around $2500 american dollars, so more like $3k+ canadian.

as for what is preferred by the masses, do you mean the general uneducated masses who buy from maul stores, or PS masses? because those are two entirely different audiences.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
I by no means represent the masses here, but I know personally if I did get a 1.72 ct ering ... it would ...

#1: Ideal cut!
#2: I wouldn't spend $$$ on a D colored diamond.
#3: I wouldn't go lower than a SI1, unless a very trusted vendor stated that the SI2 was my type of eyeclean or the inclusion was only visable from the bottoms up position.

I say ... slow down, do some reasearch here, talk to people, see perfectly cut diamonds next to a non-perfect cut diamonds ... see what a Perfect D colored diamond looks like next to a perfectly cut G,H,I or even J &K colored diamonds.

Good luck and best wishes!
35.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/19/2006 12:52:19 AM
Author: Mara

Date: 6/19/2006 12:45:37 AM
Author: jimmy999

I guess what i would like to know is,, what is ''prefered'' by the masses out there,,,
okay so it looks like 11500 CAD is still 10600 US dollars. so you are still overpaying by around $2500 american dollars, so more like $3k+ canadian.

as for what is preferred by the masses, do you mean the general uneducated masses who buy from maul stores, or PS masses? because those are two entirely different audiences.
Yes ... there is a big difference!
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmy is the D really important to you? You have been given some good advice - I can only say ditto to not rushing into this, easy to buy too quickly then kick yourself forever more that you could have done better. Stick around, read the tutorials on CUT CUT CUT, colour and clarity. An F or G will still face up very white and you will get more for your $$''s, just a thought. The best cut you can find in diamond will give joy forever whenever you look at it - a good cut won''t sparkle as much as these diamonds are often cut for weight rather than beauty. Read up on the best proportions for a round, depth, table, crown and pavillion angles, girdle thickness etc. Also certification. In order to help you further with this diamond you would need to post the above measurements to be able to truly determine the cut quality and therefore how beautiful this diamond could be.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless one has unlimited money, a D color is not a wise choice. I''d go with F if you must have colorless, and I''d look an VS2 and SI1 rather than SI2. But ideal cut is a must. That is what will determine how beautiful the stone really appears.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Commenting on the price of the GemScan diamond.........

Most of you are commenting based on prices in the US.

The original poster is asking about a diamond that is already in Canada. I am assuming that the prices he is talking about include the GST, PST and other fees. These taxes vary from province to province.

Canada did recently lower the import taxes assessed to diamonds, but this stone may be one where the higher taxes were paid as the reduction was only effective recently.

Once you adjust the pricing between the US and Canada, you may find the difference really isn''t that large.

But that said, the diamond could be purchased here, and taken back through customs without declaring it, and many people do that successfully, but there is a risk if they do catch it, that you''ll be fined and possibly the diamond seized upon re-entry.

Might make sense to ask the seller how much of the price was paid in duty, if in fact the diamond was imported into Canada.

This however could be a Cananadian mined diamond which wouldn''t have import taxes on it, but may have a "non conflict" extra charge on it.

Best to research the details more thoroughly, and the differences between buying fom a US vendor vs. a Canadian one.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results