shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Needed---can it be done? Sapphire e-ring in a few weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
ok--- My Brother is looking for and e-ring---
long story short--- he had something started locally--it fell through-- I found out--and offered help.

he is looking for a simple plat setting with a blue sapphire---- maybe 1ct and under--- for $2000.00 or under.

i think he likes bezel settings

Ladies, any help would be much appreciated.

thanks you so much
35.gif

I forgot to say
he would like it by Dec 3rd
23.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I think it can be done, but, would they love it for a long period of time? Has he considered proposing with a nice band she can stack with her eventual wedding set? that way she can be involved in the process of picking out her dream ring? sapphires come in so many shades of blue- and other colors as well- that's a lot to choose from. Or do they want that total element of surprise?

will start searching
34.gif

ETA: what mm size is his min? 5.5ish?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some things I found real quickly, though only the last is platinum. Sorry, but for 2k it'll be hard to get the platinum setting and a nice sapphire I think...

http://www.colorsymphony.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=266&products_id=836&zenid=3253b7a7f8b83714e926eb9f96ea0dd2

http://www.colorsymphony.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=266&products_id=783&zenid=3253b7a7f8b83714e926eb9f96ea0dd2

http://www.myjewelrysource.com/platinum/GR5384-platinum-sapphire-ring.htm

If you're willing to do white gold, there are more options I think, both sites have more ready set sapphire jewelery.

You could also write to Michael at gemshoppe since he does both gem sourcing and setting of jewelery, so could give you a quote on a finished ring.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could also write to Michael at gemshoppe since he does both gem sourcing and setting of jewelery, so could give you a quote on a finished ring.
I second Michael
36.gif

otherwise Richard Homer has some beautiful Sapphire, but not sure if he likes concave faceting, there was a gal on here Laurel (I think that had a beautiful Sapphire) in a ritani ring,
If you purchase through Wink Jones he can also do the setting and can get the sapphire at a slight discount as well.

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
this is the setting he was going to get--- but it has a full bezel.

40.gif

ringexampleBezel.jpg

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
it sounds like he wants to Surprise her and propose in Spain before Christmas. Sadly-- he only told me of this last week-- I could have helped him get this started a month ago
20.gif

I am going to meet up with him on Saturday to see if anyone local has settings he likes and try to go from there. I''m not sure he realizes how important the ring is-- and its not a thing to rush--and get whatever..
23.gif
I really like his Gf allot-- and i don''t want him to get just anything---
whiteflash said they might be able to help---- i''m looking at all options though..
1.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the setting simple and clean (but its personal preferences) how bout a ritani? like attached? belongs to a PSer

ritanisemibezel ps.JPG

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2009 10:11:33 PM
Author: kas baby
I think it can be done, but, would they love it for a long period of time? Has he considered proposing with a nice band she can stack with her eventual wedding set? that way she can be involved in the process of picking out her dream ring? sapphires come in so many shades of blue- and other colors as well- that''s a lot to choose from. Or do they want that total element of surprise?

will start searching
34.gif

ETA: what mm size is his min? 5.5ish?

oops-- my last response was to your post kas baby I believe he likes the lighter blues. I found a few contenders on the natural sapphire company site. I just asked my bro-- and he thought 1ct was too big---*chuckle* I believe the one he had picked out was .75ct

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2009 10:27:34 PM
Author: D&T
I love the setting simple and clean (but its personal preferences) how bout a ritani? like attached? belongs to a PSer

Yes!!--- this one is nice---does it come in a smaller mm band?

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
woohoo! you''re getting somewhere.

If it were me, I''d be totally anal and want it to be absolutely perfect- as much as I might like the element of surprise, I think I would get a gorgeous band, propose in an utterly romantic way, then walk her through the process of picking out a gem and ring. But I''m super anal, so.... yeah.

what do you think she would like? the surprise or the ability to pick out her own bling
31.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I like this one, but that's just me. don't know if they set gemstones, or outside gemstones...

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/diana-vincent-jewelry/rings/01DV1/

ETA: this one is a little over budget, but I think it could fit the bill

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/20PP1/

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/18/2009 10:28:49 PM
Author: blinkydoll

Date: 11/18/2009 10:27:34 PM

Yes!!--- this one is nice---does it come in a smaller mm band?
Ritani, will semi custom make what you want, if you want it thinner, I''m sure they could work it out.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just love this setting that Michael made in white gold out by altering some stock settings, and it's very wallet friendly (a few hundred). He may or may not work in platinum, but you can maybe upgrade the metal down the road?

The Ritani is pretty, but I'm given to understand that they are rather pricey, and honestly (and probably not surprisingly since it's the CS forum) I'd rather have more to spend on a sapphire.

SideShowtourm.jpg

meBarionBlue.jpg

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2009 10:39:45 PM
I know you said blue sapphire, but does she have a preference in colored sapphire... I just thought I throw this in the mix. I so want it
39.gif
but I sure would love to see this go to lovely home
31.gif
and just under $1100 for the stone itself

http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/query3.cfm?yVarieties=All&ySpecies=Corundum

30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I love RH concave cuts! one day....

I was thinking... their styles in jewelry may be polar opposites. take FI and I, he wants nothing to do with gemstones (thinks he'd destroy them) and loves streamline metal looks. I love gemstones and love a mixture of clean lines but with fluidity, not something cold.

So your brother likes bezel/clean lines/light blue, she might like prongs/vintage/and purple! thus why colored gemstone e-rings are sooooo tricky.

ETA: MTG I love the ring you posted!

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2009 10:41:10 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I just love this setting that Michael made in white gold out by altering some stock settings, and it''s very wallet friendly (a few hundred). He may or may not work in platinum, but you can maybe upgrade the metal down the road?

The Ritani is pretty, but I''m given to understand that they are rather pricey, and honestly (and probably not surprisingly since it''s the CS forum) I''d rather have more to spend on a sapphire.

SideShowtourm.jpg

OMG--- where did you find this one?! its great!!

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2009 10:43:47 PM
Date: 11/18/2009 10:39:45 PM

I know you said blue sapphire, but does she have a preference in colored sapphire... I just thought I throw this in the mix. I so want it
39.gif
but I sure would love to see this go to lovely home
31.gif
and just under $1100 for the stone itself

http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/query3.cfm?yVarieties=All&ySpecies=Corundum

30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I love RH concave cuts! one day....

I was thinking... their styles in jewelry may be polar opposites. take FI and I, he wants nothing to do with gemstones (thinks he''d destroy them) and loves streamline metal looks. I love gemstones and love a mixture of clean lines but with fluidity, not something cold.

So your brother likes bezel/clean lines/light blue, she might like prongs/vintage/and purple! thus why colored gemstone e-rings are sooooo tricky.

ETA: MTG I love the ring you posted!

I totally agree Kas---- I was involved in my e-ring choice---- and the completion was the surprise part. I love Dh ..but i''m so glad I was able to chose my setting
1.gif
my Bro Wrote---"i liked the ring i picked because it was simple and sort of bright without being too flashy. it didn''t look like a gaudy engagement ring. i don''t think she wants anything elaborate, nor would she like wearing something like that. she almost never wears rings anyway, so i wanted it to be something that would be comfortable."

uhhhh.....i didn''t wear any jewelry before i got my e-ring....and ummmmm...... needless to say... I um... have more jewelry now
31.gif
30.gif

I think he is afraid of diamonds---- he said he thinks she doesn''t like diamonds--- she has some very pretty diamond studs that were form her Grandparents--that she wears allot--- so i don''t think thats true.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m glad you like it blinkydoll! It''s in my "favorites" folder, to be used in the future when I find the right stone and occasion, hehe. Michael was nice enough to send me the photos (hope he doesn''t mind my sharing) when I was looking for a setting for a different stone.

Anyways, he''s a really nice guy, and I believe he can source some really nice Australian sapphire material. If you go with that setting in white gold, I''d ballpark it under 300ish, give or take gold price fluctuation. Would leave you a healthy amount for a beautiful blue sapphire!!

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
hmm. maybe because she loves her diamond earrings sooooo much, he''s afraid of getting a diamond that wouldn''t wow her. Perhaps that''s why he''s going with a minimalist gemstone e-ring. even if only subconsciously, it can make a big impact when a person is fearing being seen as inadequate. He may be worried that people think something is ''over the top'' or will ''go out of style'', so something simple fits his bill. just thoughts floating around in my head, don''t mean to offend
12.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Blinky, I am absolutely pathetic and useless when it comes to searching for sapphires and "simple" settings (you know how much I like halos, lol), but I just wanted to say hi and add that your brother (and future SIL) is sooooo lucky to have your help. I would be upfront with him about how much you appreciated taking part in the choice of your ring - it''s super sweet that he wants to do this, but it sounds like he may not know or even realize exactly what his girlfriend likes. Okay, unhelpful rambling over.

BTW, I heard you''ve been super busy lately - hope you''re doing okay!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
mini-threadjack: cellentani, in your avatar, is that ring sitting in noodles? I''m not sure why, but I never really noticed until just now. usually I just notice how the red/maroon stands out against the yellow, lol

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2009 11:01:25 PM
hmm. maybe because she loves her diamond earrings sooooo much, he''s afraid of getting a diamond that wouldn''t wow her. Perhaps that''s why he''s going with a minimalist gemstone e-ring. even if only subconsciously, it can make a big impact when a person is fearing being seen as inadequate. He may be worried that people think something is ''over the top'' or will ''go out of style'', so something simple fits his bill. just thoughts floating around in my head, don''t mean to offend
12.gif
no worries-- not offending at alll--- honestly-- i think he is scared of diamonds---- like he wouldn''t even know where to start---sigh---i might try to have him look at one on Saturday to see what happens ;-)

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2009 11:16:06 PM
Author: blinkydoll
Date: 11/18/2009 11:01:25 PM

12.gif

no worries-- not offending at alll--- honestly-- i think he is scared of diamonds---- like he wouldn''t even know where to start---sigh---i might try to have him look at one on Saturday to see what happens ;-)

lol- "no! not the jewelery store! you can''t make me!"
14.gif

that''s how FI used to be until he realized how much fun it is to watch sales associates squirm when they realize I know more than them
11.gif
It just takes the right place though. FI loves the store where he got my sapphire band. He likes that they recognize him/us when he goes there
41.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Blinky, can he get her a simple, white gold band maybe? And she can wear that while they look together? Maybe once they find the ring, they can use the band as the w-band. It just sounds like he''s kind of flailing around and maybe he needs to get her input on this.

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2009 11:05:49 PM
Author: cellentani
Blinky, I am absolutely pathetic and useless when it comes to searching for sapphires and ''simple'' settings (you know how much I like halos, lol), but I just wanted to say hi and add that your brother (and future SIL) is sooooo lucky to have your help. I would be upfront with him about how much you appreciated taking part in the choice of your ring - it''s super sweet that he wants to do this, but it sounds like he may not know or even realize exactly what his girlfriend likes. Okay, unhelpful rambling over.

BTW, I heard you''ve been super busy lately - hope you''re doing okay!

Hi Cellentani!!
35.gif
35.gif
yes--- reallly busy! lots of life changes recently! and possible future ones!
Last week while I was visiting my grandfather on the hospital (another story) my Bro took me aside and said--he litterlly walked into a local jewelry store last month and picked ..one of 2 sapphires (no paper work.nuthin)
23.gif
32.gif
... and he picked a stock setting--and the lady said it would be done asap....ummm..... ummm.. it''s been a month---- and its not done--
23.gif
23.gif
25.gif
I emailed him today--- and asked him if he needs some help bec that is kinda not acceptable of that jeweler-- and he is willing to go out on Saturday--yay! I don''t have a sister-- and i really like his GF allot--- and i would love to have this bonding experience with him--- i think i will talk to him on Saturday and mention..maybe letting her be involved?.... or something?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is awfully rushed and probably won’t get the best sapphire he can possible get within budget for her e-ring. Please ask him to reconsider and proposing with a plain band first. Does he even know what shade of sapphire she likes? Is he sure she will like such a minimalist setting? I presume he’s going with a heated blue sapphire? With something this rushed, I’d go with Wink Jones to get the stone and setting. I believe Wink also has an unbranded bezel setting like the one you showed (round ruby).

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Chrono...wait!! My mother was wearing the diamond that I know wear. My now hubby and I had picked out a necklace for a gift for me an then used that necklace as an "engagement ring". Now I have both!!!!

So maybe a thought outside the box....Getting engaged, travel, the original project falling through. This is all very stressful.

Breathe.
2.gif

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Ladies for offering some help and advise.
I am going to see my Brother tomorrow--- he is going to try to get his deposit back from the bad jeweler..and then we are going to hit a few jewelry stores and see what we can come up with. i''m hoping he ending up liking something already made and done
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results