shape
carat
color
clarity

Help name my new baby python!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
We've also made a decision on the new name... we loved all the suggestions but none of them seemed to be The One, but we have finally settled on:

Dawkins

We're both fans of Richard Dawkins and pythons are a perfect example of evolution in action - they have hip and shoulder bones and their spurs are vestigial legs.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
deja_entendu said:
Pandora said:
deja_entendu said:
Sorry to hear about your python, it's so hard to lose a pet.

Your new boy is beautiful! I've been really wanting a snake but sadly it's going to have a wait a few more years. I love all the Harry Potter names.

Thanks, still can't quite believe he's gone. For a Royal he was very active and rarely in one of the hides unlike Milly so I was so used to see him creeping about the tank all day.

I've finished the new vivarium and it looks even better than I hoped - I'll take some photos and post them. I sold the old one on eBay today to a girl who keeps corns, I hope they enjoy it!

What kind of snake are you thinking of? I love my Royals but they can be a total PITA when it comes to eating - they can easily go a year without food which is a bit scary the first time they do it. Corns are nice and easier to keep - they need lower temps, lower humidity and they eat like dustbins. If I was to get another breed I'd like a Chondro (Green Tree Python) - they're stunning, but need a very high tank, near 100% humidity and have 2" long teeth - and aren't friendly like the Royals. Boas are a good choice and not as picky as the Royals when it comes to food, but they can get BIG - ditto the Burmese.

I would love to see pics...and more pics of your snakes too, please!

I'm not exactly sure what kind yet, I have some time to think about it as I'm at my pet capacity for my current apartment and I'll be here for the next 3 years at least. I really need to do some more research too in the meantime. I've worked with Royals, milk snakes, corn snakes, boas, rat snakes, Green Tree Pythons, and an Emerald Tree Boa, but I don't know much about other kinds. Green Tree Pythons are gorgeous (and the ones we had were definitely good eaters!), but I really want something I can handle. The boas were fun, but too big for me I think. Actually one of the boas gave me my first snake bite :lol: but he was young and a bit of a weirdo, he just needed some more handling, which I gave him. Our Royals were a little finicky too...I liked the milk snakes & corn snakes but might want something a little feistier....hmm I have no idea what I want! Any other recommendations?

Deja - I love corn snakes. I think they are so much fun, somewhat active, but somewhat mellow too. I had several when I was younger and really enjoyed them.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
deja_entendu said:
I would love to see pics...and more pics of your snakes too, please!

I'm not exactly sure what kind yet, I have some time to think about it as I'm at my pet capacity for my current apartment and I'll be here for the next 3 years at least. I really need to do some more research too in the meantime. I've worked with Royals, milk snakes, corn snakes, boas, rat snakes, Green Tree Pythons, and an Emerald Tree Boa, but I don't know much about other kinds. Green Tree Pythons are gorgeous (and the ones we had were definitely good eaters!), but I really want something I can handle. The boas were fun, but too big for me I think. Actually one of the boas gave me my first snake bite :lol: but he was young and a bit of a weirdo, he just needed some more handling, which I gave him. Our Royals were a little finicky too...I liked the milk snakes & corn snakes but might want something a little feistier....hmm I have no idea what I want! Any other recommendations?

Do you prefer a heavier bodied snake or something slim and fast? I'll have a think and ask BIL - he's a herpetologist and has had experience with most reptiles including the 'hot' snakes. My MIL came home to find a crocodile in the bath once (it bit him too).

I had garters for a while when I was younger but they're superfast and not that tame. Some of the other python species are nice and aren't picky about food - although they harder to find and not as tame as the Royals.

I'm currently in love with the Green Mamba at London Zoo - I have no interest in owning venomous but I like to look at them. One of my rat suppliers keeps venomous and lets me see his collection. He's got a pair of Gaboon Vipers who are just beautiful, a fer-de-lance, 4 rattlesnakes (one of the stupidest breed I've come across) and a couple of cobras (very intelligent). He's also got a Blood Python (beautiful but never seem to move and VERY bad tempered), 3 red-tailed boas, a couple of baby Green Tree Pythons, Carpet Python, an albino Burmese and a dwarf rectic (not that there is anything dwarf about it - nasty, bad-tempered creature as well. The Burmese is a cutie and terrified of rats so he eats quails... he's a total wuss about most things and very friendly. Sadly I don't have the space for a Burm as they were the snakes that first got me hooked - my parents took me to a snake farm in Thailand when I was 7 and I was captivated by the 3 they had.

How come you were working with all the snakes?

deja_entendu

Rough_Rock
Pandora said:
Do you prefer a heavier bodied snake or something slim and fast? I'll have a think and ask BIL - he's a herpetologist and has had experience with most reptiles including the 'hot' snakes. My MIL came home to find a crocodile in the bath once (it bit him too).

I had garters for a while when I was younger but they're superfast and not that tame. Some of the other python species are nice and aren't picky about food - although they harder to find and not as tame as the Royals.

I'm currently in love with the Green Mamba at London Zoo - I have no interest in owning venomous but I like to look at them. One of my rat suppliers keeps venomous and lets me see his collection. He's got a pair of Gaboon Vipers who are just beautiful, a fer-de-lance, 4 rattlesnakes (one of the stupidest breed I've come across) and a couple of cobras (very intelligent). He's also got a Blood Python (beautiful but never seem to move and VERY bad tempered), 3 red-tailed boas, a couple of baby Green Tree Pythons, Carpet Python, an albino Burmese and a dwarf rectic (not that there is anything dwarf about it - nasty, bad-tempered creature as well. The Burmese is a cutie and terrified of rats so he eats quails... he's a total wuss about most things and very friendly. Sadly I don't have the space for a Burm as they were the snakes that first got me hooked - my parents took me to a snake farm in Thailand when I was 7 and I was captivated by the 3 they had.

How come you were working with all the snakes?

Yikes I can't imagine owning venomous! That's cool about your BIL, must be an interesting job. I think I'm looking for a heavier bodied snake. How long have you kept snakes? I'd really like to become more knowledgeable, as I only know the basics--do you have any recommendations for good books or other resources?

I was working with the snakes for about a year while doing an internship at a center that kept all kinds of animals (they were used in educational programs). I was mostly doing husbandry type work, but I got to handle all kinds of things, alligators, porcupines, owls...great job, I miss it. I'm in vet school now and I'm hoping to do exotics when I'm done.

Love the new pics you posted by the way, Milly is gorgeous!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora said:
We've also made a decision on the new name... we loved all the suggestions but none of them seemed to be The One, but we have finally settled on:

Dawkins

We're both fans of Richard Dawkins and pythons are a perfect example of evolution in action - they have hip and shoulder bones and their spurs are vestigial legs.

Great choice! I'm sure Richard Dawkins would be pleased. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results