shape
carat
color
clarity

Help my friend pick a proposal band style for his girlfriend!

A close friend is popping the question to his girlfriend and plans to do so with a “proposal band”, which is a relatively inexpensive band that she can wear initially, and then he’ll give her the actual engagement ring later (so she can have some input).

He needs to place an order soon-ish (next week max) to get it in time for the proposal, so time is of the essence!

He doesn’t want to spend too much, so branded rings are out of the question. We’re going for “the cheaper the better” here :D the only direction is that she hates YG and generally prefers WG, so we would like WG (maybe some RG accents). Stackability in the future is not a concern.

1) plain WG band

1C86B082-3006-4763-BF2D-4E9B438E9CD4.jpeg

2) Half-eternity (rounds) - I grabbed an indicative picture off of google. Probably will go for this 10pts per stone size.

EB18784A-0580-4E4A-A3FD-A3DFA22C8A94.jpeg

3) half eternity (emerald cuts, similar size):

AF85498A-A4E5-4678-8E78-718308A553FA.jpeg

4) full eternity (3 or 5 pointers, depending on budget):

3726587A-AC9E-4D96-9A84-E1A2BCD198EB.jpeg

5) something floral and wide, with small diamonds in it:

07B85461-388D-4066-8FAA-66783CB5970A.jpeg

6) rolling ring, with one WG band, one WG pave band, and one RG band. Pictured here is the Cartier version, but imagine the YG was plain WG here:

EFE3A408-11ED-40D9-AD5B-E7ED0CA1B382.jpeg

Any other suggestions are also welcome!!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would choose the emerald or the rolling ring!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it‘s probably better to go with an inexpensive plain band. Choosing a diamond band could end up causing issues when planning the ER, as it may not fit in with what the future bride has in mind and limit her choices.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think it‘s probably better to go with an inexpensive plain band. Choosing a diamond band could end up causing issues when planning the ER, as it may not fit in with what the future bride has in mind and limit her choices.

This. Something that is plain, 2 mm or so, maybe comfort fit. That she can wear as a wedding band or stand alone. My engagement ring is technically a rose gold gimmel ring that I wear as a wedding band or solo. Or sometimes not at all. Basic, plain and simple.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking it could become a gorgeous RHR.

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
My husband proposed this way! He knew I needed to pick my engagement ring. Lol

I'd say either a plain band or something that can be repurposed as a RHR. Also, I'd say no on the rolling ring because they are so hard to fit. My RHR is a Carrier trinity ring and I must have bought it the one day my fingers swelled. It is too big 99 percent of the time, so much so I wear a stacking ring to keep it on my finger.

For cultural context - wedding bands aren’t really a “thing”, so she may or may not stack her ring. Some people do wear wedding bands but it’s pretty unusual. So the most likely outcome of this ring is that she will wear it while travelling/when she doesn’t want to wear a big diamond/on her other hand.

But a plain band might still be a good thing, just from the POV that if she really hates it, at least he wouldn’t have spent a bunch on it.

Thanks on the recommendations @AprilBaby @Austina @elizat @Rhd3! Also thanks for letting me know that the rolling ring is a pain to fit. I’ll definitely tell him to stay away from those because we don’t have her at hand to try the ring!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I would choose the plain band or the one with 10-15 pointers.. like maybe a 5 or 7 stone ring that is classic and can always be worn with or without the engagement ring.
But I note that you probably want an inexpensive band so probably just the plain one in that case.

I would choose the plain band or the one with 10-15 pointers.. like maybe a 5 or 7 stone ring that is classic and can always be worn with or without the engagement ring.
But I note that you probably want an inexpensive band so probably just the plain one in that case.

oh just to clarify - all the stuff I posted here is within his budget. Jewelry in india is cheaper than it is in the US, the half eternity of 10pts will be around $900 for FG VS stones.

I think the half eternity and the plain band have gotten the most love so far!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do like the 1/2 eternity emerald band. However, my vote would be a simple and cheap plain band.

I actually ended up buying my wife a simple plain band a few years back. It’s nice when traveling to select locations so you don’t draw the wrong attention. And also for those adventures where she wants a ring but doesn’t want the worry of damaging or losing an important piece.

To be a spur of the moment thoughtless cheap purchase it was actually a great decision because of our lifestyle.

This isn’t a choice, BUT… how about a simple silicone band? If the band itself isn’t of much importance, it will leave more money for a bigger diamond or more expensive setting??

I like the idea, but he’s pretty set on it being gold. He’s actually not even super sold on a plain gold band, I ran the idea by him right now.

We are going on the weekend to visit a few jewelers to see what comes up!

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
How about a hand engraved gold band?

Long lead time but beautiful work

How about a hand engraved gold band?

Long lead time but beautiful work

Oooh I really like the celestial band! That is definitely a great option! Or a carved floral band, though probably something a bit thicker than the one you posted. Thank you!!

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh I really like the celestial band! That is definitely a great option! Or a carved floral band, though probably something a bit thicker than the one you posted. Thank you!!

That last one is 3mm

That last one is 3mm

We live in India, so buying online isn't really feasible with post and customs etc, so we'd be going with a local jeweler for sure. I like the idea! I think he might want something a touch wider than 3mm if going for a plain gold band, though.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plain gold band. It will never, ever go out of style, she can stack it or not however she wants, and it maximizes the budget for the bling that's to come :bigsmile:

Thanks everyone for weighing in! I told my friend what everyone said and we went and tried on some rings (always fun, my finger is a similar size to hers) and we decided to go with the half eternity, round diamonds, FG VS, with 10 pointers in 18kt WG. He didn’t like the plain gold band at all, and thought that her style is too classic/simple for the carved band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results