shape
carat
color
clarity

Help my baby brother find...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
... a necklace for his girlfriend. He''s leaving for college in a week or so and wants to give her something nice before he goes. He really LOVES this girl! It''s sweet. OK, some info:

Brother is 18, and hasn''t got a tonne of money. He''s saved $150 for this so we should keep suggestions under that amount.
His gf is 19, her favourite colour is purple, she''s Spanish / Austrian, very elegant, not too ''girly'', black hair, medium dark skin, dark eyes.... so I''m thinking bright blues would look great on her too.

Any ideas? Seen any pretty, elegant, but ''age-appropriate'' necklaces around that amount or less?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only thing I could find were solitaire gemstone pendants in 18K at blue nile. For under $150, the choices are amethyst, peridot, citrine, or garnet. The bright blues cost more...

http://www.bluenile.com/product_catalog.asp?catid=183&track=56

Scroll down to the next to last group of pendants.

Might I add it's so sweet of your brother to do this for his gf!!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Oooh! Thanks. Great suggestions. I''m forwarding them to him.

Keem ''em coming!

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock
Most of the Tiffany Silver.. in the Elsa Peretti necklace collection in small, is $150 (or slightly under) I think... her necklaces are beautiful.. and the letters are just adorable (also 150)..

I''m slightly biased.. I just got the small teardrop for my bday.. I love it!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Try amethyst on the uk ebay site - under fine vintage and antique jewellery. My FMIL wears amethyst a lot and I have bought her some beautiful vintage pieces in gold for very little there.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I second the motion for a sterling piece from T&Co... admittedly, a little overpriced for silver -- BUT darling, and many styles are definitely within his budget! (And what girl doesn''t love the little blue box?!
2.gif
)

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I suggest looking on overstock.com, they have some lovely and inexpensive pieces.

ETA: just saw all other pieces that were suggested from overstock, i guess we all think alike!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2007 6:43:12 PM
Author: Lynn B
I second the motion for a sterling piece from T&Co... admittedly, a little overpriced for silver -- BUT darling, and many styles are definitely within his budget! (And what girl doesn''t love the little blue box?!
2.gif
)
I love the Tiffany silver pieces too. I own both the floating heart & the starfish and LOVE the starfish and wear it all the time. Goes with EVERYTHING!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I also vote for a silver tiffany pendant. At 18, that would have blown me away!
5.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
I think Tanzanite would also be lovely...it''s always been one of my favorites!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ahh! so sweet!

*pouts*
17.gif

well, ICE.com looks pretty decent. I ran a search here and I didnt find anything negative. I read somewhere that they have free return shipping? I am not sure if that is true, but if he spends 150 bucks it has free shipping at least.

Here is one I kind of liked, it is tanzanite: Here

and another one

another one here

If you go to there pendant homepage here: ice pendant page

you can run searches by different gemstones, looks like a nice selection to me, and I am a big fan of that very first one they show, has a real spanish feel to me
9.gif
but I dont know much about spanish jewelery fashions

and if he upped his budget a little bit he coudl pick up this bad boy Bad boy with diamonds and aquamarine

I am also a big fan of there london blue topaz London blue

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for the Tiffany pendant. He may be able to get something more substantial somewhere else, but only Tiffany is Tiffany.
3.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yet another vote for Tiffany. I have 2 daughters around that age. The eldest works with a girl who buys her own Tiffany pieces! I think at any age, a woman really does love the idea of that iconic little blue box. Good luck. My personal fave is the starfish pendant.
1.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
My brother thanks y''all for your great suggestions! He seems to be leaning toward swarovski. Not a huge fan here (rhodium plated stainless steel?!!?!) but he thinks it''s what SHE likes and I guess that'' swhat counts.

Now the key thing is to try to talk him out of the entwined hearts pendant (pictured below) and into....

entwined hearts.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
... something more elegant and I think more her taste (she is NOT cutesy) and less like an, uh, territory marker if you know what I mean! What do you think of this one?

blink ball.jpg

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s pretty, IG! My only concern would be that it might be a little dressy since it''s sparkly...but I don''t know if he was going for everyday wear or just something pretty. I was going to recommend one of the silver Tiffany necklaces, too, but if he''s not into them, he''s not into them!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Good point about the sparkly. I didn''t think of that. I''ll mention it to him.

Now, I was also suggesting Tiffany to him as a top choice. But he seems resistant. Not sure why!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d for sure pick a Tiffany silver piece, even though I hate silver (lazy, hate dealing with tarnish) before I picked a Swarovski piece. Tell him that.
1.gif
The blue box goes a long way. I mean, heck, that''s a good part of the gift!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
While the sale is still going on, there are some nifty jewelry pieces at ACS for under $150. I particularly like this one.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine has a similar pendant (hers is diamond and palladium though...I agree with you on the cut glass deal, but if that''s what bro wants and what she wants...then why not?) to the one you posted (which I luv, btw), and swarovski also has one like it on their site...it''s a pave solid heart rather than ball, and the heart isn''t quite as cutesy as the picture you posted. My friend is 24 and a med student, great sense of style and she wears it almost every day...so I don''t really think it would be too dressy at all, and definitely young enough for 18 but not TOO young -- maybe a good compromise between what he likes and her style?

Here''s the link: "Blink" pendant

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ok, cheese alert. This is a totally cheesy idea but I LOVE it. You mentioned he''s going away for college, right?

How about something like this, for them both to wear?

Sorry, apologies in advance if it''s dorky!

Matched Pair

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results