shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me with my first colored stone project....small budget..

teddybearmommy

Rough_Rock
Pricescope helped me learn so much when I was upgrading my engagement ring ealrier this year (1.78ct RB Jvvs with .16 side stones). I caught the "jewelry bug".
emteeth.gif
. Dh has given me the go ahead to get a right hand ring. I want to keep it under $500 or I will have to do it in stages, buy the stone, then later get the setting. He is skeptical about me picking a stone and a setting offline and being having the ring turn out well. I have beem looking and looking at stones (have spent hours and hours looking) but I am honestly lost. I love most colors but prefer softer, lighter shades, nothing to dark or too bright, something that I can wear frequently if not daily. I have larger fingers 6.6-7 so I like something substantial. I don''t even know where to start?? What size stone would give me decent finger coverage? I''m open to any and all suggestions. As for the setting I''d like to do some sort of halo. Other than that I''m lost.

Thanks, Charity

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Charity! Welcome to CS!

So, the first thing that came to mind when you said you like lighter, softer colours, is something with barely a hint of colour, but I'm sure you meant more pastel colours. I was hoping you could maybe post some pics of colours you like and perhaps we can go from there?

In the meantime, the first thing I thought of was a spinel I picked up from Gemburi/Odyssey Gems about a year ago;

original.aspx

The spinel I won at auction for around $29.00 and the setting was a custom Legacy repro I won at auction from Lord of Gem Rings for not more than $300.

And here's a link to a BIN auction for the Legacy; http://cgi.ebay.com/Cushion-7X7mm-Pave-Diamond-14k-Gold-Semi-Mount-Ring-/220625596663?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item335e4f70f7

teddybearmommy

Rough_Rock
I really like this ring. whsat size is your stone? Does it give good finger coverage?

teddybearmommy

Rough_Rock

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stone is a 1.40 ct. elongated step cut cushion spinel, and the ring is a size 5. The measurements are about 7.5mm x 5.5mm and I think it has quite a bit of presence to it. But I also tend toward more petite stones, so this one seems quite blingy to me.

I just looked through all of VVS1gems/Gemburi/Odyssey''s inventory and didn''t really find anything like that stone, but I might ask Tan if he has something that fits within your size requirements.

teddybearmommy

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/27/2010 1:55:45 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
The stone is a 1.40 ct. elongated step cut cushion spinel, and the ring is a size 5. The measurements are about 7.5mm x 5.5mm and I think it has quite a bit of presence to it. But I also tend toward more petite stones, so this one seems quite blingy to me.

I just looked through all of VVS1gems/Gemburi/Odyssey''s inventory and didn''t really find anything like that stone, but I might ask Tan if he has something that fits within your size requirements.
What website would that be?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tan is on eBay but don''t worry as he is one of the very few reputable vendors there. You should be able to Google Gemburionline and his other 2 stores will be linked once you are on his website.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

teddybearmommy

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/27/2010 2:13:13 PM
Author: Chrono
Tan is on eBay but don''t worry as he is one of the very few reputable vendors there. You should be able to Google Gemburionline and his other 2 stores will be linked once you are on his website.
Thanks off to browse!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
The TL in my head sees brown in that stone, but maybe the real TL will chime in.
41.gif
What color gold would you set it in? The cut looks decent but it is a garnet which may be a little too soft to wear daily. That would of course depend on how hard you are on your rings though and if you work with your hands alot.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
How set are you on finishing the project in one fell swoop? The stone you posted of Dan''s is over 10mms so I think that would give good finger coverage. Then you could save for a cushion shaped halo similar to Lauren''s. I think that would be gorgeous.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the malaya is brown, but at least it's not dark and extinct, and it has nice cutting and it will sparkle. Not digging the color though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woah! Although the cutting style makes it very sparkly, it is WAY too brown.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
You should chose and stone and a color that you like; though yes, there is a lot of brown in that malaya.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Interesting...I for one really like the color; it has a nice "dusty rose" look. The cutting is definitely on the better side of Tan''s gems.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results