shape
carat
color
clarity

help me set my aqua

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
Hi- I hope you all can help me navigate thru the process of setting my aqua. I’m a total novice at this, and know that your help is invaluable to getting the right setting for my stone. I thought I should start with a clean slate since my ideas are all over the place.

First, the stats:
I purchased a beautiful cut corner/cushion aquamarine from peter torraca.

2.16c, 7.78x7.78x6.02.

The color is a wonderful light Caribbean water blue and it sparkles like crazy in the daylight. Even in my sock drawer, it shows off its color and life.
2.gif

The ring will symbolize the birth of our son this October, so I would like to have it completed before his arrival.

Setting budget is approx: $500 – which would include any upgrades on diamonds etc.

My current engagement ring(s) are actually 2 ½ eternity bands from facets. My wedding ring is a sapphire eternity band (another reason why I don’t know jack about settings and stones :razz:) I’m a fairly classic girl, but a good amount of bling is never a bad thing.

I would like this ring to clearly look like a right hand ring, and not an engagement ring – which is why I’m drawn to the settings that have a halo or a thicker band. In addition, I think the aqua would be “set off” that much more with some diamond friends.

I’ve been all over the map with settings… I like the twisted rope look (alas, no diamonds). I like a thicker,cigar band, look - but fear this would probably take away from the stone and look silly on my size 6 finger. I also like a classic halo/legacy look, but worry if this looks too much like an ER. And, finally,
3.gif
I like a split shank OR twisted band.

I spent a good amount of time on LOGR site and found the following settings that best describe what I am looking for. This is where I could use your help. Do you see any glaring problems with these settings?? OR if you have another setting in mind/saved that you think is better suited for this stone/my "wants" I’m all for it!

Thanks in advance so very very much!

first - pictures of the stone:

from peter''s site

3632605826_a239fdae36_msfgf.jpg

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
on peter''s hand

Aqu177_hand_smsgfs.jpg

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
on my hand - with my "fun" LOGR pave eternity band... you can clearly see the difference in quality between my facets bands and this :)

vizaqua1sfgf.png

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
another to catch the sparkle:

vizaqua4sfgf.png

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
in it''s home:

vizaqua2fgs.png

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
now for the settings that i''m drawn to. i tried to look for ones that wouldn''t need too much prong customizing - a point that was brought up in my old thread...
first: the ''cigar'' band look that i like:

020asfgsf.jpg

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
another angle:

too er like?

sfsfg.jpg

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
next: i love the basket on this ring, but think it may look too much like an ER.

014dsfgs.jpg

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
next up a twisted halo

029asfgssfg.jpg

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
another view

029csfgsf.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/11/2009 9:24:21 AM
Author: vizsla
now for the settings that i''m drawn to. i tried to look for ones that wouldn''t need too much prong customizing - a point that was brought up in my old thread...
This is a great look, you''ll still need the head to be changed out to the normal prongs and not a V or chevron prong as your stone is already clipped on the corner, this prong won''t work with it,

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
and the bling-tastic of them all... might be a little overwhelming and not really work since this setting is made for an emerald, but heck, what can i say.... i''m fascinated by sparklie objects
3.gif

019asfgsf.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/11/2009 9:27:36 AM
next up a twisted halo
Ok I love this look, The twisted gets my vote
36.gif

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
How bout something like this? It has diamonds but really shows the color of the central stone in an elegant way.

--Joshua

csr1008_copy.jpg

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 9:28:31 AM
Author: D&T

This is a great look, you''ll still need the head to be changed out to the normal prongs and not a V or chevron prong as your stone is already clipped on the corner, this prong won''t work with it,

is this something that LOGR does? or would i need my jeweler to do this?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
#1 - domed shank isn''t something I like to see with stones that have straight outlines; all that bling on the shank might overwhelm the aqua and maybe even dwarf it visually; prongs look quite large - might be very noticable

#2 - my favorite, understated, elegant, not something you see too often

#3 - too unusual for my taste, very blingy for an aqua (might steal attention), craftsmanship is obviously not of high standards (look at the lack of symmetry in prongs), curvy feel of the setting might compete with the obvious geometry of the stone''s cut

#4 - might work for a top quality, deep green emerald, velvety blue top grade sapphire, a nice demantoid garnet or something else that can stand on it''s own next to all this blingasticness
9.gif

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
First, I LOVE your aqua. The way the light hits in the first pic makes it look like it has a cross. Really cool.

I have a couple of ideas: 1, what about bezeling it like Laurenthepartier''s asscher? 2, the Elixir ring from Heart of Water on Etsy? I haven''t ordered anything from them (yet), but many, many PSers have, and they''re supposedly wonderful. Price-wise, it would be well within budget.

Here''s an example. (I have to apologize in advance, as my Mac won''t let links work.) I think she does silver, white gold and rose gold in addition to the yellow gold shown. It wouldn''t look anything like an E-ring.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=27085384

P.S. Congrats on your baby!
9.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/11/2009 9:33:59 AM

Date: 8/11/2009 9:28:31 AM
Author: D&T

is this something that LOGR does? or would i need my jeweler to do this?
Best to have LOGR take the responsibility in making it right and oversee the entire ring process, it will be more cost effective as well. If you have your local jeweler change (they may or may not be able to fix, as this looks like a one piece cast) and it will probably run very expensive if the local jeweler can in fact change

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 10:51:29 AM
Author: QueenB29
First, I LOVE your aqua. The way the light hits in the first pic makes it look like it has a cross. Really cool.

I have a couple of ideas: 1, what about bezeling it like Laurenthepartier''s asscher? 2, the Elixir ring from Heart of Water on Etsy? I haven''t ordered anything from them (yet), but many, many PSers have, and they''re supposedly wonderful. Price-wise, it would be well within budget.

Here''s an example. (I have to apologize in advance, as my Mac won''t let links work.) I think she does silver, white gold and rose gold in addition to the yellow gold shown. It wouldn''t look anything like an E-ring.

9.gif

thanks!
i do like that setting but worry that it sits up really high.... i may have to look thru some of her stuff.. thanks for the link!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

9.gif
Super Chrono to the rescue.
2.gif

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
I like 2 and 3 the best. The head on #2 looks like something Sally at Heart of Water (same link that Chrono provided) makes.

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 12:10:52 PM
Author: Chrono

9.gif

2.gif

LOL. Chrono--I''m starting to think of you as my personal link-fixer
28.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/11/2009 3:30:26 PM

Date: 8/11/2009 12:10:52 PM
Author: Chrono

2.gif

LOL. Chrono--I'm starting to think of you as my personal link-fixer
28.gif
Queen, on your mac, when you are ready to post a link, open up the circle chain link thing when you reply then post your link in the field when it opens up it should work. This is how I do it when I'm on DH's MAC

LINKMACUSER0809.JPG

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
first of all little firecracker i'm WAY jealous of your montana blue sapphire stacker. my next project is a large 2" gold disc necklace with a flush set montana blue sappire and my son's name engraved on the disc.

we still have to *pick* a name, oh..... and *have* the baby, but that's just details
3.gif
. where did you source your sapphire from?

second, love the aqua ring.. does sally also work with diamonds?? i'm still loving some diamond accents with this aqua. thanks again!

viz.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2009 9:20:21 AM
first of all little firecracker i'm WAY jealous of your montana blue sapphire stacker. my next project is a large 2' gold disc necklace with a flush set montana blue sappire and my son's name engraved on the disc.

we still have to *pick* a name, oh..... and *have* the baby, but that's just details
3.gif

second, love the aqua ring.. does sally also work with diamonds?? i'm still loving some diamond accents with this aqua. thanks again!

viz.

She has a custom setting in the works with diamond sides, I am waiting to see how that turns out as I have never seen her use diamond sides before. I do agree that diamonds really accent an aqua.

Thanks for the complement on the sapphire. I got it from ACS stones. It was one of those stones Berry had "laying around" for years that I bought the day he put it up. It was the third stone I got for the project, and it is my favorite. It had a color shift to it, I am hoping the bezel did not take that away.

I think if you know you are having a boy, you can plan the project
11.gif
. I would take more time on the name than the necklace, I mean at least you can get a new necklace if you don't like it...a name is a one shot deal
2.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2009 7:55:42 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Date: 8/12/2009 9:20:21 AM

first of all little firecracker i''m WAY jealous of your montana blue sapphire stacker. my next project is a large 2'' gold disc necklace with a flush set montana blue sappire and my son''s name engraved on the disc.

we still have to *pick* a name, oh..... and *have* the baby, but that''s just details
3.gif

second, love the aqua ring.. does sally also work with diamonds?? i''m still loving some diamond accents with this aqua. thanks again!

viz.

She has a custom setting in the works with diamond sides, I am waiting to see how that turns out as I have never seen her use diamond sides before. I do agree that diamonds really accent an aqua.

Thanks for the complement on the sapphire. I got it from ACS stones. It was one of those stones Berry had ''laying around'' for years that I bought the day he put it up. It was the third stone I got for the project, and it is my favorite. It had a color shift to it, I am hoping the bezel did not take that away.

I think if you know you are having a boy, you can plan the project
11.gif
. I would take more time on the name than the necklace, I mean at least you can get a new necklace if you don''t like it...a name is a one shot deal
2.gif

A custom setting? Diamond sides? I can''t wait for this one!!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Its not mine, but I hope she posts a finished pic of the setting on her website.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results