shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP Me Quit Smoking!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
iLander, the patch is a pharmaceutical and so it can have side effects (like dizziness, etc.). It's something in it, a chemical or chemicals, something to do with the delivery system. I actually got kind of sick from the gum one day, and the next day got very sick from it, and I had to cut down on the gum a lot. Today I've had about 1/4 of a 4 mg piece. I might have a little more tonight. That's how much I had last night. This is why I warned you about (and I think the written directions say the same thing) not chewing the gum and smoking (or using the patch and chewing the gum). There can be side effects already and I forgot what the directions say but I think not limiting the dose of the drug and/or doing it and smoking at the same time can cause a heart attack. I tried the patch once and I didn't react well to it either after a couple of days. So it's a serious drug you're administering to yourself. Be careful and hang in there. Hugs!

Danny

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
lliang_chi|1304690969|2913885 said:
Danny, maybe this can help you as well as iLander. We have so many support threads on this site, this is an excellent one!

lliang chi, you are very kind! But no I want this to be iLander's thread.

I'm actually getting help and support at another forum I post at sometimes.

I agree with you. Posting boards are an excellent source of help with quitting smoking because people can share their experience and support, and the newly ex-smoker can share her or his experiences in real time.

Danny

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone.

Got through Day 5, tried to smoke a cigarette and it was disgusting. Put it out after 2 puffs.

Day 6 I'm on 1/2 patch and the lozenges, feel like this :sick: and this ::) kind of withdrawn and sullen, so will come back to write.

I was so cheerful on day 3, don't know where that went.

Never stuck it out this long before (except when pregnant-no cigs entire time), so thanks for everybody's help.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stick with it iLander. You can do it. It's mind over matter. I refused to believe that my mind was weaker than the temptation of a cigarette and I use that thought pattern when I still get the urge to light up months later. Picture a gemini type scale- on one side, health and easy breathing, and on the other- the potential for COPD, emphysema, and God forbid cancer. I chose health. I had a very serious surgery in my future and I didn't want my health or my recovery to be compromised. While I was in the hospital for three weeks with complications, I had five sets of chest x-rays and four CAT scans of my chest and abdomen with contrast. Thank GOD, they all came out clear but I would be lying if I told you I wasn't quietly freaking out at the possibility of something showing up after twenty plus yrs. of smoking. I was lucky. Be one of the lucky ones too. You CAN do it. They're just cigarettes. The human mind can change the world!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
@HAVEN: I am trying to do eet. LOL!
@Diamond: Thank you!
@sig47: Thank you for the support!
@Circe; Thanks for coming back and helping me, lordy, this is work!
@Vapid: I don't know, this is harder than in the past. Without a swimming pool, what else do you suggest?
@Dani: I'm trying . . .
@Bean: I think I need to find something to do, I am so BORED!
@Diamondlvr: I'm sorry you lost your grandma, thank you for the story
@Shiny: You make me laugh! I checked out quitnet, but couldn't figure out how to look at the forum posts. That's okay, I like you guys!
@Asscher: Thanks for the advice, will do that some more.
@lliang: Thank you! I like it when you check in!
@HI Danny! I think you and I should share this thread, feel free. I use a half a patch and about 3 lozenges a day. The patch keeps me level, and the lozenge is for when I need to feel some sense of control. I haven't had any palpitations or anything, but if I do, I'll be careful. It IS expensive, isn't it? It's ridiculous! When I started it was $2 a pack! Congrats on quitting Danny, you can do it, I believe in you! Come back when you need encouragement!
@dragonfly; Thank you for sending the good vibes, I think it really does help. I have made it, 7 days so far!
@HouseCat: I have been taking naps, which I usually NEVER do. I am keeping count in my head, the $$$ are adding up. Congrats on quitting!
@gemgirl: So glad you're healthy! I am definitely worried about COPD, etc., which was never an issue before. Now it's a possibility! I think you and I are at the age where it used to be "Oh, it's nothing", and now it's "Uh-oh, could be something!" Sucks. . .

iLander

Ideal_Rock
DAY 7; Still making it! :appl: :appl: I feel like a fog has lifted off my brain, I feel more alert than I have in years, less depressed.

I have a little more energy, and I'm breathing a little easier. So that's good.

Downside: This is one STINKY world! :shock: Everything smells! My garage, my carpet, the home depot, and for some reason, my car smells like an old salesman's cheap cologne. What the heck, never noticed any of this before.

Another Downside; What do non-smokers do with their TIME? I have so much time now. I have been tidying everything (except the bathroom, gotta draw the line somewhere :D ), straightening stuff up. Now what? :confused:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1304901846|2915771 said:
DAY 7; Still making it! :appl: :appl: I feel like a fog has lifted off my brain, I feel more alert than I have in years, less depressed.

Downside: This is one STINKY world! :shock: Everything smells! My garage, my carpet, the home depot, and for some reason, my car smells like an old salesman's cheap cologne. What the heck, never noticed any of this before.

Another Downside; What do non-smokers do with their TIME? I have so much time now. I have been tidying everything (except the bathroom, gotta draw the line somewhere :D ), straightening stuff up. Now what? :confused:

iLander really glad to hear this :) :) :) you can do it!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
You've got this iLander!!!

After starting nursing school its been so crazy to see how smoking effects our bodies in soooooooooooooo many ways that it would just boggle your mind.

I know you'll be able to pull through! I'm showing this to my mom to hopefully give her inspiration!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1304901761|2915770 said:
@HI Danny! I think you and I should share this thread, feel free. I use a half a patch and about 3 lozenges a day. The patch keeps me level, and the lozenge is for when I need to feel some sense of control. I haven't had any palpitations or anything, but if I do, I'll be careful. It IS expensive, isn't it? It's ridiculous! When I started it was $2 a pack! Congrats on quitting Danny, you can do it, I believe in you! Come back when you need encouragement!

Hi iLander, thanks!

It is so expensive. I was smoking American Spirit brand (it's a little more than Marboro, which is a little more than generic, but it's not Dunhill or anything like that). It was/ is $11 a pack. I was spending over $300 a month... on cigarettes! That's over $3,000 a year. They were something like $7 when I quit last time a little over 3 1/2 years ago. I was in the store one day and I saw a carton of Marboro (I think it was that and not generic). It was something like $75. For a cartoon of cigarettes! I remember them being maybe $20. It's completely ridiculousness!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
iLander~ CONGRATS on a smoke-free week!

iLander :appl: :appl: :appl: awesome!

With some extra free time you could take the time to wash things - walls, carpet, cars... anything that has that smoke smell on it. So, when you feel like smoking again, remind yourself how much time it took to clean it out and get it stink free and you only want to do it once!

STAY IN THERE! :appl:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1304901846|2915771 said:

Woohoo iLander! Keep up the good work!

When I quit smoking I started obsessively going to yard sales and collecting cool old stuff, and a friend of mine told me he went bonkers buying mid century modern furniture on eBay. So my advice is to do something more productive than spending money on stuff you don't need! :cheeky: Maybe exercise and cleaning?

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Hope you are doing well iLander!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
iLander, we demand 1x updates! :cheeky:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
ilander - I hope you're doing ok today! You've got this! Keep with it!!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I suspect everyone is probably getting bored with this thread, but it's really helping me, so . . . :bigsmile:

Day 9 (since I counted last Mon as day 1) Still not smoking. :appl:

But, It's amazing how annoying its getting to be. Shouldn't I be over this by now? :rolleyes: Seriously! Stupid, freakin' nicotine/drug dependancy. I don't know how drug addicts manage to kick their habits, I really don't.

@Sig: Nice to see you again! :wavey: Thanks for the encouragement!

@ Autumn; Your mom will stop when she's ready, not a second before. When she does, keep supporting her with constant praise and encouragement, it helps. And I thank you for it!

@Danny: My friends in the NE (NYC, Boston) pay about $15 for ONE PACK. A carton is over $140! Isn't that outrageous? :o I think it will backfire and smoking will be a status symbol soon. :)

@Shiny: Thank you for checking in with me. You rock, lady.

@Bean: Ugh, you're right, I should. Everything is just grody. Thanks for coming back, I appreciate it.

@thing; I think I am already full up on all the yard sale stuff :bigsmile: I love doing that too. I really should sell more stuff on ebay, that's an idea. It's oddly time-consuming.

@HereKitty; Thanks, I'm holding up!

@Danny; Hi Again! :wavey: How are you holding up? I have to recommend this gum; lemon flavored ice cubes. Just a regular gum, not nicotine or anything. But it is oddly awesome! A nice square shape, a great texture with a light crunch when you bite into it. If you run into it, give it a try. I have about 47 flavors of gum!

@Dragonfly; Thanks, lady! Every day is a new adventure.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1305076994|2917991 said:
I suspect everyone is probably getting bored with this thread, but it's really helping me, so . . . :bigsmile:

Day 9 (since I counted last Mon as day 1) Still not smoking. :appl:

But, It's amazing how annoying its getting to be. Shouldn't I be over this by now? :rolleyes: Seriously! Stupid, freakin' nicotine/drug dependancy. I don't know how drug addicts manage to kick their habits, I really don't.

@thing; I think I am already full up on all the yard sale stuff :bigsmile: I love doing that too. I really should sell more stuff on ebay, that's an idea. It's oddly time-consuming.

Now that's a great idea-basically the opposite of what I did! :cheeky: And selling on eBay really is super time-consuming! I have piles of things I should put up on eBay myself!

Congrats on 9 days, and keep up the great work! Is your family super impressed with you?! I know I would be! :appl:

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
iLander, congrats on day 9!!!! what a huge accomplishment!!! You have a lot of support here so keep checking in.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl:

ILander--YOU ARE DOING EET! I'm so proud of you! This is a HUGE accomplishment. :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
iLander, that gum sounds awesome! I think I might get myself some regular gum. That would be fun. I haven't chewed gum since I was a kid but why not! Thanks for the suggestion! :wavey:

$11, $15, why don't they just raise the price of a pack to a carton and make it $20! Yikes.

I'm holding up just fine. I'm just feeling a little sorry for myself, not "I'm going to buy a pack of cigarettes" sorry for myself, just thinking how I always hear the French smoke a lot and how do they get away with it and why can't I get away with it anymore kind of sorry for myself. You'd think the story would be "French suffer terrible health consequences all the time" but no, it's "French smoke so much and drink wine and hang out in front of food establishments at artistic little iron tables!" ;(

I'm so glad you're sticking with it too! Congratulations!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1305118429|2918389 said:
iLander, that gum sounds awesome! I think I might get myself some regular gum. That would be fun. I haven't chewed gum since I was a kid but why not! Thanks for the suggestion! :wavey:

$11, $15, why don't they just raise the price of a pack to a carton and make it $20! Yikes.

I'm holding up just fine. I'm just feeling a little sorry for myself, not "I'm going to buy a pack of cigarettes" sorry for myself, just thinking how I always hear the French smoke a lot and how do they get away with it and why can't I get away with it anymore kind of sorry for myself. You'd think the story would be "French suffer terrible health consequences all the time" but no, it's "French smoke so much and drink wine and hang out in front of food establishments at artistic little iron tables!" ;(

I'm so glad you're sticking with it too! Congratulations!

HA! Seriously, what is up with that?! No fair. :((

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I think the French are magical fairies that can eat baguettes and do whatever they want and never get ill. I swear... it has to be that.

Congrats on Day 9! Thinking of you today!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Hiya! :wavey: Day 10 today, I'm getting tired of (regular not nicotine) gum, my jaw is getting tired, but it beats some horrid disease. So. Still not smoking.

OKAY, LET"S CHECK INTO THIS FRANCE B.S.- Those people are plain lyin' :o

I found this article http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/oct/27/worlddispatch.france

"The findings reveal that the widespread perception of the French as a healthy nation is rapidly becoming outdated.
A government study, published this month, showed that France's male population has the highest level of cancer-related death of any country in the EU. Scientists concluded that the soaring death rate was directly attributable to the excessive consumption of tobacco and alcohol.
Figures showed that 20% more French men die from cancer each year than British, while Sweden has the EU's lowest male mortality rate from cancer in the EU, with 196 deaths per 100,000 compared to France's 283.3.
According to figures collated from 1999, the most recent year for which statistics are available, France has a far larger number of deaths from mouth, lip, throat, liver and lung cancers than neighbouring countries: a clear indication of the disease's roots in unhealthy lifestyles."

How's that Danny? Those little weenies are dropping like flies, too.

I was depressed a few days ago, I think it has something to do with your chemistry going whacko. Just veg, eat ice cream, whatever. You'll be better soon and I'm proud of you!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!!! 9 days is excellent! :appl:

You know what? you may want to consider going for a walk when you feel the urge is at the highest. (or just being active, it can help)

My mom smokes and has since she was 13. She's now in her 60's, so I grew up with it in our home. In my early 20's I developed an allergy to tobacco.

I love my mom but I when I go visit, I stay in a hotel. Its very hard for me to be inside their home because its not the fact they're smoking around me, but I can break out in hives just from the high amount of tobacco particles in the air. I make sure to take my allergy meds and wear long sleeves/pants when I'm there and have access to my epi pen. Once I leave there, I immediately take everything off, and send it to be cleaned. Kisses and hugs are very quick because she knows it leads to a fit of sneezing. Basically, I'm allergic to her!

They mostly meet me out when they can (my mom has lupus so sometimes thats hard to do). And then there's the fact of our family history with cancer.

My mom quit for 3 years, and that was the best 3 years I had. It was great to be able to get hugs and kisses from my mom. Sadly though she started back up. Its hard to quit though. I smoked for a very short time in my life, and quit cold turkey. (Always wondered why I itched when I did smoke but I now of course know why!!)

She's working on quitting again. Baby-steps though, you know? She gets a lot of encouragement from me to do it. Hopefully this time it will stick. The resolve to quit after smoking for a long time has to be really strong. So I think that you can do it.

Besides that, you're doing people like me a favor by quitting, so thank you.

-A

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
You're doing great iLander, keep it up!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
@ ARCADIAN AND TRAVELING GAL; THANK YOU! :wavey:

Still not smoking! Yeah! :appl: :appl:

I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to nicotine patches though! :rolleyes: That's okay, a half a one per day isn't too bad, and the box says up to 8 weeks is normal. Won't panic yet.

Thank you all for your help! :bigsmile:

Hopefully, Danny will chime in and tell us how he's doing.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
Great job, iLander!!! :appl:

If the nicotine patches help, I'd definitely utilize them! That's what they're there for, right?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Great job iLander!! Keep up the good work!!!

btw-My dad just hit the 2 month mark. He switched from gum to tic-tacs. Apparently those jaw muscles do start aching!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
iLander, you're doing great! I'm so proud of you.

Huh. Whoever made up that story about the French got totally busted. :sick:

I'm not smoking either. It's hard sometimes because SO care more about me not doing it than I do (yes, I know I shouldn't want to, I just do). On the other hand my health has to be improving and I've saved a ton of money, so I guess it is a good thing. You can see I'm kind of conflicted.

I keep asking SO to bring me Milky Way bars. Sometimes he remembers, sometimes he forgets. I hope he remembers today. I haven't eaten a lot and have a craving for sugar.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
iLander I was thinking about you the other day, and told myself to dig this thread up. I'm glad you're still smoke-free! Keep it up. Hopefully you can get yourself a quitting present :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results