shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me pick a setting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello!

I haven't been able to decide on how to set my spinel, so I thought a poll would be the best idea!

Here is a picture of the spinel in case you don't know what it looks like. More info on this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-first-spinel.118930/

spinelwg1.jpg

Setting choice #1 - Lotus setting by Sally (BEG I hope you don't mind me borrowing your pictures)

BEGEtsyTourmalineRing1.jpg

BEGEtsyTourmalineRing2.jpg

Setting choice #2 - Americanset setting on Ebay (again borrowing pictures - I hope you don't mind Karee888)

1DSC02751.JPG

DSC02752.JPG

Setting choice #3 - LOGR (LTP and Mochi, I also hope you don't mind me borrowing your pictures!)

original.aspx

SSCN2880.JPG

The only thing I have decided on is that I want the ring to be white gold.
1.gif

Also, a quick question, the stone's dimensions are 7.23x7.48x5.01mm. I am thinking that should fit in a 7.5mm setting...am I right to think that?

Thanks for your opinion in advance! Any comments/suggestions much appreciated! Oh and I won't say no to anyone who can photoshop
3.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone is so pretty I’d be tempted to add some bling to the setting. I opt for #2 even though #3 is quite nice too. I don’t think you’ll have a problem getting a 7.5 mm setting to fit.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think #2 from the top view looks alot like my ering. So I wouldn''t want a second setting that looks so similar.

I really like setting #3 but I have a band that''s that style.

So I''d want a different setting and end up picking #1 from the ones you posted. But I do like the idea of setting this stone with some small diamonds. Any other settings you''re thinking about?

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono and Stone hunter for the input! If you have any other settings in mind this stone would look good in feel free to share
1.gif
I am very open to any other suggestions.

I steered away from halos on this occasion because

1. I have two halo rings already and no solitaires

2. Ma Re pointed out that it may be good not to halo it as it has an interesting shape...almost round but not quite...and I think I agree with that even though I am drawn to halos ... so I guess I agree but I am still tempted by a halo ...lol
4.gif

edit: spelling

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Lotusssss. I think it would really pop!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh goodness, I love all three looks, I love the profile on the lotus ring, but I also have #3 and love that look but I''m wondering if the 6 prongs will just make your stone look round without emphasizing the shape enough?, #2 is also a great choice with the extra bling and less metal... I''m really no help, but you have a great looking stone and the shape is unique so I say showcase the shape, by going with ....ummmmm #1!
9.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I always try to decide on the setting based on the feel of the stone''s overall appearance. And this one tells me (I know, I sound like a crazy person) that it''s a "let''s get the party going" type of stone, with that vibrant pink color and an interesting shape (not to mention spinel''s high R.I.). So eventhough all three choices are quite nice and could work, I''d go with #2, as it''s got the best balance of design elements. #1 strikes me as something that''s great for pastel colors and gentle-looking stones, while #3 has the bling bezeled so it''s more elegant than what I''d pick for this one.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the input MonkeyPie and D&T!

So far ... 3 votes for the lotus, one vote for the AmericanSet.

I''m throwing in an option #4 that I have just found! It''s from JewelryHoo. I have never dealt with them, if anyone has feedback would be appreciated! I would have to customise the head to fit my stone (I''m a bit wary of customizing though). The melee also looks quite tiny?

6mmrndwgsemimount1.JPG

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
My bezel band actually has a pink tourmaline set in it now, and I LOVE it!

So, for me it''s a toss up between #2 and #3!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 10:46:47 AM
Author: Deia

I''m throwing in an option #4 that I have just found! It''s from JewelryHoo. I have never dealt with them, if anyone has feedback would be appreciated! I would have to customise the head to fit my stone (I''m a bit wary of customizing though). The melee also looks quite tiny?
I just bought my first setting from Jewelryhoo (Jewe2004) and in comparison to my marquise setting from LOGR, the diamonds seemed smaller, and they were noticeably a bit more yellow in real life.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ma Re we must have been replying at the same time! I think my favorite is the american set one but I really like all of them so it makes it a bit difficult
3.gif

LTP - is there a picture somewhere with the new stone in it? I''d love to see it!

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2009 10:49:09 AM
Author: LaurenThePartier

I'm throwing in an option #4 that I have just found! It's from JewelryHoo. I have never dealt with them, if anyone has feedback would be appreciated! I would have to customise the head to fit my stone (I'm a bit wary of customizing though). The melee also looks quite tiny?

I just bought my first setting from Jewelryhoo (Jewe2004) and in comparison to my marquise setting from LOGR, the diamonds seemed smaller, and they were noticeably a bit more yellow in real life.

Did you upgrade them or leave them as is? Thanks for the feedback by the way
1.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 10:51:51 AM
Ma Re we must have been replying at the same time! I think my favorite is the american set one but I really like all of them so it makes it a bit difficult
3.gif

LTP - is there a picture somewhere with the new stone in it? I'd love to see it!
Here it is!

original.aspx

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 10:53:38 AM

Date: 7/17/2009 10:49:09 AM

Did you upgrade them or leave them as is? Thanks for the feedback by the way
1.gif
I actually haven''t been upgrading any of the diamonds in my settings. I think the stock diamonds are normally pretty nice.

But, it''s a pretty personal choice - I know TL has upgraded with LOGR and I can see the difference in pics.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2009 10:56:26 AM
Date: 7/17/2009 10:51:51 AM

3.gif

LTP - is there a picture somewhere with the new stone in it? I''d love to see it!

Here it is!

original.aspx

original.aspx

That is soo pretty!!!!!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MY opinion is #1 by a landslide.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think #1 also. I just really like the lotus a LOT!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually vote #2, I think the spinel would look nice with the complimentary sparkle!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I like 2 and 3. The second setting is a little more understated. Between the two, it depends on your personal style and the kind of statement you want to make with it.

PrincessPeach

Rough_Rock
I like setting no. 1, it''s simple and beautiful

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They would all look lovely; but my fav is #2.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I just realized that''s the same stone for which I recommended lotus setting upon seeing the vendor photos; another proof that you have to see the stone IRL (or at least on amateur photos) to really judge it''s character.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I love both setting #2 and #3. It is funny because I just put in an offer for both those rings last night :razz:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they're all great settings, and it would look great in any of them. I do have the third setting, and I set my lavender spinel in it. I get compliments on it all the time. I like that setting because despite the diamonds, the stone is still the center of attention. It's also very unique and versatile. It's a great setting, and very affordable. The upgrade for the diamonds is also very small since it's a low diamond weight on that one, but they're still a nice size.

I think the JewelryHoo one is nice, but the diamonds are so incredibly tiny, the ring screams "cheap" to me. I would rather have no diamonds on that one with the rope design going all the way up the shank, instead of microscopic mellee.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm at work and busy so I will make this a quick post :)

Thank you so much everyone who took their time to give me their opinion! I put in an offer for the americanset one. It's my favorite for this stone. I still would love to get a lotus but I can wait to get a stone that I think would look really nice in it...maybe a warm oec!

I will most definately post pictures when I get the setting!

Again thank you!

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does Americanset go down much on their prices? I have submitted 2 offers but they''re sticking to $245 (BIN is 264)?

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
sorry BIN is 265 or 270 (two listings)

I have 8 hours left on the offer!
4.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never purchased Americanset, I just know that LOGR is so much cheaper. What is the diamond weight on that piece?

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for answering TL :)

I think (off the top of my head) that its 0.17cts.

I don''t mind paying 245 but just wondering if -$20 is the most he usually offers.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you love the piece, but I just got a best offer from LOGR accepted for a piece with around 50 points of SI diamonds, and it weighs 6 grams (substantial weight), for $277. I find AmericanSet to be a bit pricey in comparison to LOGR, but inexpensive in terms of your average B&M and online store. I wonder if it''s a solid setting for that price. In other words, is the shank hollowed out? If so, I would pass on it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results