shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me pack?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Well, tomorrow I''m heading off to England for the year, which is awesomely exciting and fun and everything...but right now I''m feeling bogged down by trying to cram my whole life into two suitcases (which each must be no more than 50lbs.) and a carry-on. And a box to mail to myself. Or maybe two. Packing is noooooo fun.
38.gif

So, my question (so I don''t just mutter and grumble at you lovely folks) is: do you have any packing tips? I''m a fairly experienced traveller, but the only other time I had to pack for so long (6 months in Australia), I was allowed two suitcases with 70lbs. in each! So, any help would be greatly appreciated!
1.gif

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Ever try those vacummed packed bags...I don''t know how much less they way, but they sure can compact your clothes...just a thot from an inexperienced packer... :}

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not sure about international mailing but in the US the book rate is super cheap so I would make sure to mail those in your box vs. putting them in your suitcase. Just tell them you are mailing books and they will give you the lower rate. Otherwise get the biggest, lightest suitcases possible
2.gif
I lived in South America for 6 months but only had to worry about bringing clothes. Are you bringing household stuff too? (Sheets, towels, etc...)

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Don''t bring anything bulky you can buy cheaply once you''re there (e.g., towels). Ask yourself how many outfits you really need, instead of starting from ''Oh and I can''t possibly leave THIS behind! Or this! Or this!'' Start from ''I need 10 summer outfits and 10 miserable rainy excuse for a winter outfits plus one fancy and one athletic'' Don''t bring more than 4 pairs of shoes: 1 fancy, 2 everyday, 1 athletic. You''ll live!

I''ve moved abroad for periods of a year pretty regularly through my life, and I find that no matter how little I pack, I''ve always overpacked.
2.gif

Don''t bring any CD''s. iPod it.

And as for books, there will be a library. Take the BARE essentials and leave the rest at home.

And remember, you''ll buy stuff while you''re there.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Where will you be living in the UK?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also I like to wear my heavy stuff while traveling (boots, jacket, heavy sweater etc...) to save room in my suitcase.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
A brolly for sure or I you probably could buy one there! I am so excited for you; I love love love England
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Tell us more if you don't mind; sounds like a great adventure!!!
9.gif

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
I second Indy Gal''s advice. You''ll find yourself buying stuff in England, so it''s no big deal if you forget something. When I packed to move to Australia for the second time, I squeezed everything into one suitcase. It was heavy, but it all fit
2.gif
I still get sad pangs when I think about a particular bag or coat that I left behind in Singapore, though!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2007 3:46:31 PM
Author: wifey2b
Ever try those vacummed packed bags...I don''t know how much less they way, but they sure can compact your clothes...just a thot from an inexperienced packer... :}
I have thought about trying that out, but my stuff fits in it, mostly. It''s just too heavy, so sadly, the only recourse is to not bring some of it, or mail it to myself. Good idea, though! Thanks!
1.gif

Author:Tacori E-ring
I am not sure about international mailing but in the US the book rate is super cheap so I would make sure to mail those in your box vs. putting them in your suitcase. Just tell them you are mailing books and they will give you the lower rate. Otherwise get the biggest, lightest suitcases possible I lived in South America for 6 months but only had to worry about bringing clothes. Are you bringing household stuff too? (Sheets, towels, etc...)
No household things, thank GOODness! I have almost no books (just 3, all of which are in my carry-on), but need various ranges of clothes since school is casual, formal dinners are dressy, and job interviews will be business casual. But there''s also the fact that my boyfriend lives in England, and I might be staying after my year of grad school is up, which makes me want as many of my personal belongings with me as possible. I can''t afford to keep my stuff in storage for a year or more, and my parents are looking to move next year and have said they don''t want to have to move anything of mine (ie: either I come and claim it or it goes in the trash!). Doesn''t help that I''m a sentimental sort.
3.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2007 7:29:45 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Don''t bring anything bulky you can buy cheaply once you''re there (e.g., towels). Ask yourself how many outfits you really need, instead of starting from ''Oh and I can''t possibly leave THIS behind! Or this! Or this!'' Start from ''I need 10 summer outfits and 10 miserable rainy excuse for a winter outfits plus one fancy and one athletic'' Don''t bring more than 4 pairs of shoes: 1 fancy, 2 everyday, 1 athletic. You''ll live!

I''ve moved abroad for periods of a year pretty regularly through my life, and I find that no matter how little I pack, I''ve always overpacked.
2.gif

Don''t bring any CD''s. iPod it.

And as for books, there will be a library. Take the BARE essentials and leave the rest at home.

And remember, you''ll buy stuff while you''re there.
No CDs, almost no books, I think I have 5 pairs of shoes (what you''ve got listed plus the pair of cute boots my boyfriend bought me when I was visiting last Thanksgiving when all my luggage was lost for my whole trip). I do however have a couple of duster sweaters that I LOVE and wear with everything in the autumn/winter, and those took up room. I also have some photos packed because I''m a sentimental sop who wants to feel as much at home as possible, especially since I might end up staying there....but yeah, I don''t NEED the photos, so if I''m still overpacked (I got more going-away presents tonight--cute stuff, but no room for it!), those will get nixed. Can always bring the photos without the frames, even though I collect frames...

Thanks for the help! I needed the practical reminder.
2.gif

Author:Travelling Gal
Where will you be living in the UK?
Cambridge for uni, and Scarborough on holiday (where the boy lives).
1.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2007 7:34:00 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Also I like to wear my heavy stuff while traveling (boots, jacket, heavy sweater etc...) to save room in my suitcase.
Oh, good thinking, thanks!
1.gif

Author:Skippy123
A brolly for sure or I you probably could buy one there! I am so excited for you; I love love love England
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Tell us more if you don''t mind; sounds like a great adventure!!!
9.gif
Heheh, good that you mentioned the umbrella--I''ve been given 3 in the past two weeks!
9.gif

As for telling you more, I certainly don''t mind, but there isn''t too much to tell at this point. I''m flying out tomorrow, will spend a week and a half with my boyfriend up in Yorkshire where he lives, and then I''ll be starting my master''s program in special education at Cambridge. I am soooooooooo excited!
9.gif
Even though I know there''s going to be a TON of work to do, it''s going to be a great year. I had a going-away party last night, and a bunch of my friends are planning on coming out to visit (which makes leaving easier on me; I tend to get soppy pretty easily
2.gif
), and my degree is over in less than a year--I should be graduating in June of ''08! And then, I don''t know what''s going to happen--depends on how things go with the boy, and how easily (or not) I can find a job in England, and how much I miss my family and friends--I might stay there and work, or I might come back to the states. Will just have to wait and see!
37.gif

Author:wolftress[/b]
I second Indy Gal''s advice. You''ll find yourself buying stuff in England, so it''s no big deal if you forget something. When I packed to move to Australia for the second time, I squeezed everything into one suitcase. It was heavy, but it all fit
2.gif
I still get sad pangs when I think about a particular bag or coat that I left behind in Singapore, though!
One suitcase! Oh, I''m not sure I could do that! I was happy with two suitcases at 70lbs. each to get myself to Aus, but one?! I''m not sure I could do it!
3.gif

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I hadn''t realised you were moving to the UK to be with your honey! Silly me, I should have guessed. You must be over the moon and so excited!!! Who cares about clothes and books, you can live on love
31.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2007 10:47:39 PM
Author: wolftress
Wow, I hadn''t realised you were moving to the UK to be with your honey! Silly me, I should have guessed. You must be over the moon and so excited!!! Who cares about clothes and books, you can live on love
31.gif
Heheheh, well, that''s both true and not true. We''ll be closer (finally!), but not living together, except when I''m on break from uni. Instead of seeing each other a couple of times a year, we should be able to see each other a couple of times a MONTH now. So it''s getting better!
1.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hey Gwen, one thing to keep in mind if you're going to Cambridge is that you're going to need a 'black-tie' outfit. You'd be amazed how often events are black-tie and Oxford and Cambridge! I mean, you really NEED a fancy cocktail dress and / or gown. But that might be something you can buy there, since it's bulky to bring.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2007 12:14:05 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Hey Gwen, one thing to keep in mind if you''re going to Cambridge is that you''re going to need a ''black-tie'' outfit. You''d be amazed how often events are black-tie and Oxford and Cambridge! I mean, you really NEED a fancy cocktail dress and / or gown. But that might be something you can buy there, since it''s bulky to bring.
Aye, that''s part of the reason my suitcase is so large, because I do need formal get-up as well as casual and business attire.

Ah well, everything''s all packed up now. According to my bathroom scale, they''re both a couple pounds shy of 50lbs, so I should in theory be ok when weighing them for real at the airport.
1.gif

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Just don''t forget to take your credit card and all will be fine..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results