shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me make a decision on this 0.82 E SI1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aaronx88

Rough_Rock
Dear all,

After 2 months of reading on PS, I ended up with this Solasfera from GOG. Now all I need is fellow PS'er approval :) Any feedback (good or bad) on the diamond will be very useful to me. Since I'm located in Australia and will not be able to view the diamond in person, I'm planning on sending the diamond to Rockdoc for his approval before committing myself to buy.

Since it is an SI1, do you think it will be eyeclean? I will be asking GOG about this question as well.
I'm also a little worried about the cut since it is graded VG instead of Excellent by GIA.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1998/

Thanks.

Aaron Chong

Honeyfly

Rough_Rock
Hi Aaron,

I am in Australia also, and haven''t looked at the overseas websites in much detail. Have you compared to the Aus sites like diamondexchange and Jogia? Just curious as they''re the ones I have been looking at, but maybe I should do a search elsewhere too (unsure about shipping etc though, and returning it if necessary).

I can''t help you with your stone though, I''m a princess cut gal and haven''t even heard of a solasfera!
emotion-18.gif
Sorry! I''m sure the smarties here can help you!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a beautiful stone - a perfect Solasfera. Keep in mind these stones are cut with extra facets, and therefore I don''t think it''s quite fair to use a grading scale designed for 58 facet RB''s in terms of ideal cut or not. They don''t have the same look - have you used the tools on the site to "see" it rocking back and forth and compare it to a common H&A 8 arrow RB? The Solasferas are said to ahve a "busier" look to them (I''ve never seen one myself) due to the extra facets. If you want tons of scintillation, this stone is a killer - if you want a Solasfera, I don''t think you can go wrong here. As far as "eye-clean" or not, you really need to have someone at GOG look at the stone for you and tell you - and the setting it goes in may influence your opinion as well. If it is going into an open side setting where the pavillion is visible, you want to nake sure it is eye-clean from the side as well as the top. If it''s going into a basket with a horizontal support bar then the pavillion will not be as visible and therefore eye-clean from the side may not be an issue.

Great Solasfera!

aaronx88

Rough_Rock
Honeyfly,

Whereabout in Aussie are you? I''m from Melbourne. I have looked at diamondexchange and found their pricing to be competitive from the USA. If you decides to import a diamond with a setting, all you pay is 5% extra and plus international shipping at USD100.00. With the recent downturn on the AUD strength, the diamond now probably cost me 5% extra
7.gif

You can read more about the Solasfera diamond here. www.solasfera.com

Aaron

aaronx88

Rough_Rock
Can anyone shed some light on the difference of the diamond specifications provided by GOG and the Sarin reports. Comparing both data on the Holloway Cut Adviser, the GOG data resulted in 1.2 whereas the sarin report resulted in 1.9. Is this considered a huge difference? Another to note is GOG table size is 53.34% whereas the sarin report is 52.2%.

GOG Data
Girdle: 1.34%
Lab Report: GIA
Lab Report #: 15027248
Width: 6.09mm
Length: 6.12mm
Depth: 3.72mm
Table: 53.34%
Depth: 61.13%
Crown Depth: 15.40%
Pavilion Depth: 43.51%

Sarin Report
Table: 3.18mm 52.2%
Depth: 3.72mm 61.1%
Crown Depth: 0.95mm 15.60%
Pavilion Depth: 2.67mm 43.8%

Thank you.

Aaron

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah... those measurements are not 1000% precise (one more reason to like pictures and cut grading by direct observation like the H&A and IS, instead of measurements). And as far as I know, this is why the HCA comes with the kind of instructions as it does - to look for score above 2 but not 'look for small differences beyond that.
38.gif

My 2c

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Aaron. I''m also from Australia Queensland in fact. Are you sure about just the 5% I thought itw was 10% + 5% if get the setting. I am after an upgrade and need to get my head around these costs. I have emailed Phillip (platinumsmith) for a tentative introduction on what I want. But I am still finding my feet on this and as your say the AUssie dollar is depressing low against the greenback.

Honeyfly

Rough_Rock
Hi Aaron,

I am from the Sunshine Coast in QLD. I think I will probably buy the diamond from here as it just seems a bit easier for me. Spoke to Jogia Diamonds the other day and they are happy for me to view the diamonds on the Gold Coast at no charge (I think he felt sorry for me that I have to drive 2.5 hrs to get there!). Thanks for the link, I will have a look at it.

And katebar, we must be practically neighbours
emwink.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2006 6:03:33 PM
Author: aaronx88
Can anyone shed some light on the difference of the diamond specifications provided by GOG and the Sarin reports. Comparing both data on the Holloway Cut Adviser, the GOG data resulted in 1.2 whereas the sarin report resulted in 1.9. Is this considered a huge difference? Another to note is GOG table size is 53.34% whereas the sarin report is 52.2%.

GOG Data

Lab Report: GIA

Lab Report #: 15027248

Table: 53.34%

Depth: 61.13%

Crown Depth: 15.40%

Pavilion Depth: 43.51%

Sarin Report

Table: 3.18mm 52.2%

Depth: 3.72mm 61.1%

Crown Depth: 0.95mm 15.60%

Pavilion Depth: 2.67mm 43.8%

Thank you.

Aaron

If its a newer GIA report the numbers are rounded.
otherwise:
difference between 2 sarin machines on a diamond with small facets that aren''t the usual arrangement or a combination of the 2.
Perfectly normal.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
after looking at the sarin report in the sarin viewer the sarin did a lousy job of tracking the crown facets.
The meet points are all over the place and there is no way thats true because it EX lab symmetry rating.
That is typical for a sarin on a diamond with small none rb facet arrangement.

There are no numbers for ideal with a Solasfera while the HCA is marginally useful on them it wasn''t designed for anything but standard 57/58 facet RB''s

Bottom line looks like a kicken Solasfera.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Honeyfly
Waving to you from the Goldcoast. I want to ask you a question on Jogia so I won''t hijack this thread. I''''l start a new one

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results