shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find this setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hellofish

Rough_Rock
I recently purchase a 1.7 carat diamond and am looking for this platinum setting, which I provided a picture of below. I got it off of Robbins Bros.'' website, but they charge close to $1500 for it. I live in the LA area and was wondering if anybody can refer me anywhere. I''m not sure I have time for custom-making since I''d like it in a week. I''m looking for a setting that is platinum, has flat sides, and tapers into the crown. Thanks, everybody!

Flat Tapering Solitaire.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
You're probably right about having custom work ruled out in that time frame. Best bet is really to find it already made and give them your stone to set.

Have you checked out the jewelry district downtown? It's a little bit overwhelming, but if you do your homework, you can save a lot there. I'll check into it a little tonight and see if I can find jewelers that specialize in solitaire settings (there are a lot of glittery pieces down there...)

In general, steer clear of the big, open buildings with just kiosks. The best place to try is one of the mall-like buildings, in which each jeweler has his/her own "store" (enclosed, not just a counter).

I would guess that most mall/etc. stores (as opposed to online vendors) will price similarly to Robbins Bros. but I could be COMPLETELY wrong because I did all my shopping and price-comparing online. Hopefully some other people will chime in with help.

P.S. You should also post this in Rocky Talky, because you'll likely get more responses there
1.gif

hellofish

Rough_Rock
Hey Musey,

Thanks for the response. I actually did check out the jewelery district in downtown LA and definitely found it overwhelming! I would so appreciate any suggestions or referrals you may have! Actually, I have a story to tell. I went to one of the larger corner kiosks in the jewelery district that offered to do that setting at $375 in platinum. I found that a little too cheap to sound legitimate. He asked me what kind of stone I had. I told him all the specs and he kept telling me that I got ripped off (I know that I got a good/great deal and expected a lot of the jewelers in the district to make this comment to try to make me look at some of their stones. This has happened to me a lot of times).

However, when I later called back asking if he himself would be doing the setting of the stone or if it would sent off to a "communal" diamond-setter in the district, he became irate. He started telling me, "I''m not going to switch your stone. I sell diamonds that are worth many more times than yours. In fact, I don''t even want to set your diamond. Maybe you should just buy the ring and take it somewhere else to be set." I told him that he misunderstood what I meant, that I just wanted to know if he''s the actual jeweler or not since it would be nice having him set it. Then, he told me that I was acting crazy. Strange thing is, I never even expressed any indication to him that I was scared that the stone would be swapped.

Tell me guys, is something fishy/wrong here?

First, does the price for the platinum setting sound a little too cheap?

Second, why would he keep telling me that he doesn''t want to do business with me, that he''s been in business for 20 years and that he''s never swapped diamonds when I never even indicated any fears of that?

In fact, his whole staff was rude, but he was the only person I found in the jewelery district that had the actual setting ready (all he would have to do is affix the crown for a 1.7 carat and mount the diamond). I''d like to go somewhere else, but given the convenience factor, this guy seems to be a good way to get things done fast.

Thanks so much everybody!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
get it insured, then go to jared''s. you can walk out in an hour with a set diamond in a plain platinum setting. they have always done a fine job for me.

hellofish

Rough_Rock
Just to make sure that we''re talking about the same Jared, could you tell me if the store is the one under www.jared.com?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2007 2:28:20 PM
Author: hellofish
Just to make sure that we''re talking about the same Jared, could you tell me if the store is the one under www.jared.com?

Same one...but do a search here on Jared before you go there. There have been quite a few threads on them recently and they haven''t gotten good reviews. Including at least two people whose stones were chipped during setting by Jareds, and Jareds won''t settle with them easily.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results