shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a stone for my friend''s 15th anniversary!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Hello All. I''m still new to the CS forum and a good friend of mine has asked me to help her source a stone for her 15th anniversary ring! I know you all know of MANY more places to find gemstones so I thought I''d ask for your help.

What she''s looking for:

Color: Bright magenta pink
Size: Minimum 7.2mm, would like it to be 2 carats or greater
Shape: Would prefer Round or Cushion
Clarity: IF, VVS1, or VVS2 (or comparable, not exactly sure how gemstones are graded here...)
Type: Tourmaline, Spinel, or Sapphire (most likely tourmaline with the budget, but maybe spinel too)
Budget: $500-800 (may consider more for the right stone)

I''ve got a busy day here at work today so I don''t know how much I''ll be able to check in before 5, but I thought I''d see what you guys could help me find for her! Her anniversary is in June so there''s still some time, but she knows it may take a bit to find the right stone so she wanted to go ahead and get started. She''s between two settings.

One: Setting by Vatche Link
Two: Setting by Rochelle Link

Thanks!! You guys rock! Please let me know if any other information is needed and I''ll ask her.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphire is probably out. A spinel is doable but might be at the highest end of her budget. How about a rubellite? I’ve seen some very nice rubellites from Nigeria recently and pricing is probably in line with what your friend is looking for. I’ve seen Lisa Elsner and Bob Kast have some of this material, although it isn''t going to be easy finding a large stone as these tend to be around 1 to 2 ct.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 12:18:42 PM
Author: Chrono
Sapphire is probably out. A spinel is doable but might be at the highest end of her budget. How about a rubellite? I’ve seen some very nice rubellites from Nigeria recently and pricing is probably in line with what your friend is looking for. I’ve seen Lisa Elsner and Bob Kast have some of this material, although it isn't going to be easy finding a large stone as these tend to be around 1 to 2 ct.
Hmm, I've never heard of rubellite...I know she's totally open to type of stone as long as it's 7 or higher on the Mohs since this will be an everyday ring (worn with care). She'd prefer 2ct or greater, but I think she'd be open as long as we could get a minimum of a 7mm spread. What sites can I browse for Lisa Elsner and Bob Kast? Thanks!

ETA: I found the sites. Rubellite looks like the color she's striving for if we can find the size. I guess she'd probably consider garnet as well if one could be found in a truly pink (not reddish) color. Is this possible?

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, I''m no help with the stone, but I wanted to say that I like the second setting better. :)

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 12:24:46 PM
Author: lavatea
Sorry, I''m no help with the stone, but I wanted to say that I like the second setting better. :)
Thanks! I do too, but I think she''s leaning towards the Vatche. I guess it''ll depend on what the final stone selection is.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you''ve heard of tourmaline, you''ve heard of rubelite: http://www.gemstone.org/gem-by-gem/english/rubellite_tourmaline.html
9.gif

How does she feel about treatments? Does she know anything about them (do you...)? That might rule out some things too.

audball

Ideal_Rock

audball

Ideal_Rock
I sent her a link to a stone by Richard Homer.

Seen here: 2.23 ct Tourmaline 8.3mm Registry #9141

It''s the 11th item in the tourmaline list. It''s a bit over her budget ($1100) but I felt it embodied what she was going for and sent it to her anyway. If she LOVES this one, any concerns about this stone?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 1:49:47 PM
Author: audball

It''s the 11th item in the tourmaline list. It''s a bit over her budget ($1100) but I felt it embodied what she was going for and sent it to her anyway. If she LOVES this one, any concerns about this stone?
My only concern with this stone would be...making sure she doesen''t get a heart attack after seeing that BEAUTY!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 2:15:00 PM
Author: ma re

Date: 1/11/2010 1:49:47 PM

My only concern with this stone would be...making sure she doesen''t get a heart attack after seeing that BEAUTY!
Haha! Thanks!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Pic of Richard Homer stone being considered attached.

9141CranbTourm.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 2:58:34 PM
Pic of Richard Homer stone being considered attached.
She really loved this stone. She''s worried it may be a tad to purple, but I told her just to email Richard and ask him to verify. Still on the hunt though...anyone have any ideas/recs?

audball

Ideal_Rock
Trillions! She has taken to trillions. Any recs on where to find quality trillion gemstones?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 6:02:40 PM
Trillions! She has taken to trillions. Any recs on where to find quality trillion gemstones?

Here is a stunning pink tourmaline trillion from a superb cutter, Gene at Precision Gem. Link Gene writes: Pink Tourmaline - 4.18 ct. Here''s a beautiful pink stone, that holds it color in any light. In natural light there is just a touch of blue in the pink. I cut this one in a barion trillion design to bring out the color. This is from a parcle mined in the 80''s in East Africa. Color 5-, Clarity 5 - $627

Note that under Gene''s grading scale, 5 is top color and clarity.

pl_746_detail_1a.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Fly Girl! Thanks! I''ll send that too her. It''s lovely...she may think it''s too large, but it''s definitely in budget!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 7:03:18 PM
Wow! Fly Girl! Thanks! I''ll send that too her. It''s lovely...she may think it''s too large, but it''s definitely in budget!
So it''s too big, which is what I thought she may think, but she loved the color despite it not being the vivid deep pink she was picturing. Anyone else have any suggestions?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about contacting Gene of Precision Gems for more material similar to that? He cut that one and may have rough from the same parcel that will cut a smaller stone.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 8:22:04 AM
Author: Chrono
How about contacting Gene of Precision Gems for more material similar to that? He cut that one and may have rough from the same parcel that will cut a smaller stone.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results