shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a setting for my aunt''s 3ct round!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Ladies and gents - I need some help!

My aunt has asked for my help in finding a new setting for a diamond she just purchased. All that I know of the specs is that it is a 2.92ct G, VS2 round. She bought the stone at a local jeweler as an anniversary/christmas present and is now looking for a new setting. She started looking at settings online but is completely overwhelmed by what is out there, plus she is having trouble finding examples of what she likes.

She knows more of what she doesn't like but does have some requirements:

1. She does not want a solitaire
2. She does not want a wedding set - she wants this is a stand alone ring, but it will be worn on her left ring finger
3. It's OK if the setting is kind of cocktail-looking (her current ring is very cocktail-ish)
4. No micro-pave or pave - not her style
5. No antique looking rings (so anything from Fay Cullen is out
2.gif
)
6. She doesn't want a real delicate setting - she wants something more substantial
7. Nothing too trendy (so no tension settings)
8. Wants yellow gold (b/c all her other jewelry is YG, plus she likes the color on her better)
9. Budget is $5,000 for the setting
10. Does not want to have a custom setting made; would prefer a designer setting

So, she has a lot of requirements.
2.gif

I have only searched a brief time but found one that is kind of her style. This is Susi's Lazare Kaplan rollover mount with baguettes (hope you don't mind Susi!) I hope I can post the link: https://www.pricescope.com/community/ =35700&pageNo=2&num=30

I should tell you a little about her: She is pretty petite (I think she's 5'2") has short hair, does not wear very frilly clothes - dresses pretty professional; clean classic clothes. Gets her nails done every week. She's 59 years old but looks much younger. No kids; travels a lot with her husband. Ring finger size is a 5 1/2 so her fingers aren't too, too tiny.

Any and all suggestions are welcome! My aunt and I thank you.
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
pebbles, I honestly cannot think of a designer setting with the requirements you aunt has. most only work in plat. and pave is everywhere. you might call bill Pearlman and ask him if he can think of something with your criteria. Would she be happy with some type of 3 stone, like Kaleigh''s in YG?

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Hi MrsSalvo!
35.gif

I have suggested a 3 stone ring and that is something she is considering. She is just afraid she would need to get side stones of at least .75ct each in order for it to look right, and that would cost more than she wanted to spend.

I found a couple of Scott Kay (surprise) ones that fit her criteria but I haven''t had a chance to post them yet. I told her she is about 7 or 8 years behind in her styles.
2.gif

I think when she says "designer" she just means a piece that she knows who made it. I don''t think she would care if it were Ingwer or Stuller.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would think she could get .75 sides in a stock setting for pretty close to her budget. WF has a few .71''s for around 2K, so that would leave 1K for the setting..I think if she wanted something like that you could definitely find it easily enough.
The scott Kay settings are very nice so if she can find one she likes i''d go that route.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I just spent the last hour on the phone with my aunt going over settings. Here are some that she likes. Granted, none are my style, but the ring isn''t for me.
2.gif
Just looking for opinions...

1. Baguette and princess side stones

baguette_princess.jpg

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
2. Baguette with rounds

baguette_round.jpg

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
3. Round channel set. Designer is someone called Quintiset. (I think this is the one she is leaning toward)

quintiset1.jpg

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
4. 3 stone ring by Jose Hess (the one I am trying to convince her to get
2.gif
) This picture is white gold but I was told it does come in yellow gold.

ETA: her stone would obviously be a lot bigger and the side stones a lot smaller but I really like the bezel around all 3 stones.

jose_hess.jpg

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
5. Scott Kay baguette setting. She really likes this one too. She would not get the matching wedding band.

scott_kay.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like #5. Very classic and would still look nice in YG.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I like setting 5 best, then setting 4 next. Be sure to let us know what she chooses!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
The tough thing to overcome is the "gold" part. Many designers make a ring that would fit the bill in platinum.

I have the 3 stone Vatche ring w/ side baguettes that accomodates my 3 carat center. The side stones are around .60-.65 tcw. The proportions are very good. My baguettes are single elongated tapered ones. The shape and size works with my center stone. You can see the style at www.dvatche.com - tick the platinum 3 stone column and the ring will appear.

I'm sure someone could easily make a gold version of similar type.

For my tastes, too many baguettes on the side is a tad 80's & detracts from the center stone. With a stone that size, I found in my search, that simpler was better. But, everybody's taste is different.

Good luck!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooooof!
23.gif
You ain''t kidding about the "five years behind the times" part. I''d say - uh - fifteen?
2.gif

At least she was smart enough to ask YOU for help.
36.gif

One thing about the three bezel set rounds ... my best friend had a similar set up with a 2ct center & .75 ish sides in brushed yellow gold and it looked like Mickey Mouse, no joke! She has since "upgraded" to a platinum setting and put a sapphire in the old gold one (much better - bye bye Mickey)

Of the choices I think #5 is my personal pick. Has she seen Lady Luvs Luxury''s knife edge pave set?? That''s pretty in yellow for sure!

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer setting 5 as well - it''s the only one I would consider for myself. I guess tastes differ, but I think it''s much less busy than most of the other settings, and will really show off the centre stone.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
#5 is a classic IMHO whereas the others are screaming the 80''s. I know different strokes for different folks!!!
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
your mom has such 'mom' taste!! i was actually just talking with my gf about how to update our moms and make them more 'with the times' in things like dressing etc. they dress hip sometimes but other times it's like
23.gif
. jewelry too i guess for some moms. YG and baguettes?! someone stop her!

i would say that #5 would be the best but then again i think in YG it would look kind of like the other settings too. hmmm...any way to get her into side stones like trillions or something? they would be cheaper than rounds and give more of a classic look, like kaleigh's ring? and it would still be pretty in YG. baguettes to me just are SO commanding that they take away from the center stone typically and with a 3c stone, that center should be commanding all the attention on it's own!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m with mom and would go for #3 but #1 would tempt me.

peace, movie zombie

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Any POSSIBLE chance of convincing her to go simpler/plat?
#5 is the only one I would consider for myself. I also like the 3 stone idea, maybe consider using sapphires or emeralds as the sides?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t recommend emeralds for side stones as they are soft, unless there is a bezel around them.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2005 2:21:32 PM
Author: pebbles

I have suggested a 3 stone ring and that is something she is considering.

That is precisely what I was thinking about. And if the sidestones are not rounds but some sort of sidestone-cut (trilliants, pears, baguettes... kite, trap, etc.) those are larger for weight and would fit in the 5k like a charm.

Now that I am thinking... brilliant cut traps would add up to a fancy and substantial ring: those are wide and will cover the finger nicely.

Pears might be the most common choice, and even those are larger and less expensive than round for any weight.

All in all, ''dressing'' a 3 carat diamond sounds lile a nice problem to have!
37.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say pears or trillions for the side stones, more bang for the buck and more sparkle to match the round...also definitely more finger coverage!

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Hehe....my aunt has realized that all the styles she likes are so "out".
2.gif
She showed my uncle these 5 I posted here plus a lot of others she liked and he said "UGH!" The only one he kind of liked was the Scott Kay one with baguettes (#5). I talked to her again last night and mentioned the 3 stone ring again and she is more open to that option than before (probably b/c that''s also what the jeweler is suggesting).

My uncle has also convinced her to get platinum. Yeah! She said she wanted YG b/c that''s what all her other jewelry is, but he said since this is a special ring to go with a metal she doesn''t have.

Her jeweler is going to order that Scott Kay one with the baguettes in platinum for her to look at. He is also going to bring in some trillions and pears to see how they would look with her center stone. My uncle is willing to up the budget for the setting since he is the one telling her to get the platinum. I showed her a picture of Kaleigh''s ring and she really liked that too. If she does go with the 3 stone, she doesn''t like that bezel set Jose Hess one anymore; I think she would just get a simple basket setting or a Dvatche setting.

Thanks for your help! I''ll let you know what she decides! yes, trying to find the right setting for a 3ct stone is quite a problem!
9.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2005 11:17:22 AM
she is more open to [the three stone] option than before......
My uncle has also convinced her to get platinum.
Hooray!!!!
36.gif
I''ve been watching this thread with great interest, but was at a loss as to what to say since the choices above seemed so "off" to me.

Why don''t you have her look the "side stone section" at
www.diamondsbylauren.com? It''s a great place to look at the different options: bullets, traps, even half moons might be interesting.

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay, that''s great pebbles!!
21.gif

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Widget - I will direct my aunt to the DBL web site. She called me today and has already been to the jeweler. She is obviously very anxious to decide on something.
2.gif

F&I -- I went back and found a pic of your ring - I had forgotten that you have that size center stone too. My aunt said she tried one on at the jeweler that had tappered baguettes but it wasn''t a Dvatche. She really liked it (she really likes baguettes).

I personally am not a big baguette fan but they seem to fit my aunt. I think the pears would be the first choice for myself, but my second choice for her.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2005 2:53:43 PM

F&I -- I went back and found a pic of your ring - I had forgotten that you have that size center stone too. My aunt said she tried one on at the jeweler that had tappered baguettes but it wasn''t a Dvatche. She really liked it (she really likes baguettes).

I personally am not a big baguette fan but they seem to fit my aunt. I think the pears would be the first choice for myself, but my second choice for her.
Except the multiple mini baguettes a la 1980, you can not get a more classic style than simple baguettes side stones. Some of my friends who receive huge old Southern family rings were set that way. Most dated from the first part of the century. One of the reason for the style standing the test of time is that it looks good on most fingers if one wants a multiple stone ring. As for other cuts for side stones - you have to have the right fingers.

Another thing to consider is a single solitaire w/ matching diamond (or mix of diamonds and colored stones) bands on both sides. When the stones are set low in the band it acts as a frame & doesn''t look "engagement" ringy.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Well, we have a winner!

My aunt has decided to go with a classic 3 stone ring with tapered baguettes and a thin setting. The more she looked at the Scott Kay setting (#5 of the ones I first posted) the most she thought the thinner setting would showcase her center stone more. So her ring is going to look like Fire & Ice''s ring. I have to find a pic of her ring to post.

My uncle liked the trillion side stones better, but in the end she is a baguette fan at heart.
2.gif
She liked the contrast of the sparkle of the round and the sleekness of the baguettes better than all sparkle.

Since I won''t see my aunt before christmas most likely, I won''t have a real pic of her ring to post.

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
That''s fantastic! I am so glad you, her husband, and the PS''ers were able to bring her around to the 21st century :)
The setting sounds awesome! Be sure to show us some pics when you have them. Do you have any pics of the setting from the manuf''s website?
Sounds like a great classic setting. Can''t go wrong!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s great, so glad she made her decision and look forward to seeing her beautiful ring!!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results