shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a diamond, budget around 35k for 2.5 carat RB..

AndyDiamond

Rough_Rock
Re: Help me find a diamond, budget around 35k for 2.5 carat

Here's the rest of the images. There was a max of 4 attachments per post.

H_GIA5126419146.jpg

IS_GIA5126419146.jpg

Sarin_GIA5126419146.jpg

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

looks pretty perfect to me...

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

looks great.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I believe we have a winner!!! :love: :appl: :appl: :appl:

slg47

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1327706125|3113403 said:
I believe we have a winner!!! :love: :appl: :appl: :appl:

ditto! looks beautiful. if you are interested, ask WF if it would be eligible for any upgrade policies?

AndyDiamond

Rough_Rock

You guys don't see any light leakage at all? What are the green spots? Aren't the hearts and arrows somewhat not perfect?

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

AndyDiamond|1327711544|3113488 said:
You guys don't see any light leakage at all? What are the green spots? Aren't the hearts and arrows somewhat not perfect?

As someone who just spent a few months looking for a similar sized stone--you have a winner there, unless you are paying a super premium for a branded H&A cut, that's a fantastic stone at 2.5 ct

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sna77|1327714012|3113510 said:
AndyDiamond|1327711544|3113488 said:

As someone who just spent a few months looking for a similar sixed stone--you have a winner there, unless you are paying a super premium for a branded H&A cut, that's a fantastic stone at 2.5 ct

HI:

:)) Peruse this:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/40k-budget-find-me-a-diamond-t168853.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/40k-budget-find-me-a-diamond-t168853.html[/URL]

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

White is leakage on the ASET. That stone is great. It may not have perfect hearts, but ya know, you just aren't going to be able to see that, regardless. You'll be paying a lot more if you want a perfect hearts and arrows stone and you wouldn't be able to tell any difference visually.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

this stone is not sold as H&A so I would not expect perfect hearts! that being said...hearts image looks pretty good and some vendors might call that H&A. honestly...I think you have a winner! what did WF say?

AndyDiamond

Rough_Rock

slg47|1327716970|3113544 said:
this stone is not sold as H&A so I would not expect perfect hearts! that being said...hearts image looks pretty good and some vendors might call that H&A. honestly...I think you have a winner! what did WF say?

Whiteflash thinks it's great but they are inherently biased as they want to sell a diamond. So "white" means light leakage in the ASET? What does the green mean? What color indicates leakage in the Idealscope?

slg47

Ideal_Rock

AndyDiamond|1327763649|3113778 said:

Whiteflash thinks it's great but they are inherently biased as they want to sell a diamond. So "white" means light leakage in the ASET? What does the green mean? What color indicates leakage in the Idealscope?

white is leakage in the idealscope. since the ASET has a black background, black is leakage (v. hard to see). green is regions of slightly less intense light.
it is totally normal to have those little green spots...that is just how diamonds are. look at any ACA and you will see the same thing. bottom line is this diamond looks awesome!

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

Time for an appraiser. Personally I wasn't comfortable dropping $40k+ without the opinion of an expert who is not trying to sell me something.

Whiteflash will ship the stone to the appraiser of your choice. You can meet the appraiser there and discuss the stone with him. He'll give you an honest opinion and you'll p[ay him for an hour of his time regardless of whether the stone is a winner or not...

Where do you live? I've used excellent appraisers in Boston and New York, although there are lots of recommendations for other areas of the country on this forum as well...

dani13

Ideal_Rock

Sorry to but in- Sna, could you tell me which appraiser you used and liked in NY? Thank you!!:)

Good luck with your purchase, Andy!!!!

AndyDiamond

Rough_Rock

sna77|1327769369|3113832 said:

Time for an appraiser. Personally I wasn't comfortable dropping $40k+ without the opinion of an expert who is not trying to sell me something.

Whiteflash will ship the stone to the appraiser of your choice. You can meet the appraiser there and discuss the stone with him. He'll give you an honest opinion and you'll p[ay him for an hour of his time regardless of whether the stone is a winner or not...

Where do you live? I've used excellent appraisers in Boston and New York, although there are lots of recommendations for other areas of the country on this forum as well...

I live in Los Angeles. Any recommended appraisers?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

slg47|1327768647|3113821 said:

white is leakage in the idealscope. since the ASET has a black background, black is leakage (v. hard to see). green is regions of slightly less intense light.
it is totally normal to have those little green spots...that is just how diamonds are. look at any ACA and you will see the same thing. bottom line is this diamond looks awesome!

They really shouldn't do the ASET on a black background. But in his image, the arrows are black and that is definitely not leakage. I don't see a problem with leakage in that stone at all as far as we can tell from that image.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AndyDiamond|1327865462|3114333 said:
sna77|1327769369|3113832 said:

I live in Los Angeles. Any recommended appraisers?

Some people here have used Patrick Davis:

https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers/patrick_n_davis

However, he is unlikely to do a thing that WF hasn't already done, so I personally don't see a need for another appraisal on that stone. I might have it sent there after setting if you have it set locally in order to get your insurance valuation, though.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

beautiful stone :bigsmile:

AndyDiamond

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone,

I was about to buy the other stone vetted by Whiteflash but after seeing the beautiful stones from Diamondseeker2006 and Chuckenator that have strong fluorescence with no negative effects, I am encouraged to find one similar to that to realize the average 20% savings, and extra beauty it brings.

I have found a 2.52 carat VS2 G color, which scores well on the HCA, with a .8 score and excellent rating on all 4 areas. The crown angle of 33.5 concerns me a little that it might be too shallow.

Below are the specs, and attached is a copy of the cert. The date on the cert is February 1, 2010 which also concerns me a bit on why this stone has been floating around so long. Please share your thoughts.

Stone specs:
GIA Cut: Excellent
GIA Polish: Excellent
GIA Symmetry: Excellent
Measurements: 8.85 x 8.89 x 5.31 mm
Table: 57 %
Depth: 59.9%
Crown angle: 33.5 degrees
Pavilion angle: 40.8 degrees
Girdle: Thin to Medium

Attachments

• 2.52H&A.pdf
    180.4 KB · Views: 64

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

the indented natural would be adeal breaker for me...

AndyDiamond

Rough_Rock

sna77|1328929121|3123767 said:
the indented natural would be adeal breaker for me...

Is that particular type of inclusion worst than others? Will it be eye visible?

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

Indented naturals are definitely visible--

Others know much better than me and can explain it more eloquently, but from my understanding,it's like there's a piece of the stone missing--almost an indent. Say the stone is 2.5 ct with the indented natural--if it were to be cut properly without leaving the chunk out of it, then it might only be 2.3 ct or something... Basically the cutter left rough stone to save weight...

From what I've seen also, the prices of them are discounted as well...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, thanks! I certainly think fluorescence is worth considering! I just couldn't buy into the fact that I should dislike fluor. just because someone says so. I find it fairly fascinating and I cannot detect it at all without a UV light. I think it could easily command a premium in another day and time. It is a beautiful, naturally occurring phenomenon.

I agree with sna that the indented natural might be a problem, but there's no way to determine whether it is tolerable without having the stone called in. The size and location of it matter a lot. I think the stone looks excellent other than that (wouldn't worry about the crown angle). Perhaps WF can ask the supplier of the stone to describe the natural and by that you'd know whether to have them bring it in or not.

AndyDiamond

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone,

Here's a new one that popped up on Bluenile. Price is right at around 32k, and it is triple excellent. 2.55 carats V2 G. HCA scores bad though at 3.8. The plot diagram does seem to have a lot of inclusions for a VS2. Is this one even worth bringing in to check?

Stone specs:
Measurements: 8.69 x 8.72 x 5.42 mm
Table: 58 %
Depth: 62.3%
Crown angle: 36 degrees
Girdle: Medium to Slightly thick

Link to stone: http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?track=head#diamonds_pid=LD02449093

Chuckenator

Rough_Rock

AndyDiamond|1328928532|3123758 said:
Hi everyone,

I was about to buy the other stone vetted by Whiteflash but after seeing the beautiful stones from Diamondseeker2006 and Chuckenator that have strong fluorescence with no negative effects, I am encouraged to find one similar to that to realize the average 20% savings, and extra beauty it brings.

Thanks for the kind words! Regarding fluorescence, the fiance and I have asked Mark Morrell to design an engagement setting and wedding band to play along with the theme (I'm returning the original BN setting). We're hoping to have the wedding band stones all be strong blue fluorescent and the engagement ring side stones be void. We'll see if he is able to source the diamonds; we won't have a finished project for quite some time. It could look very interesting under UV light and it makes it a bit more personal for us... knowing there's this cool pattern that most won't ever see.

Anyhoo, good luck on your search!! BN was amazing to work with and I would recommend continuing to search their selection along with the others. I have to admit that I haven't seen an idealscope for our diamond so there may be leakage. The only thing I've done is use the HCA tool (0.6). At this point I'm thinking it's better for me to not look at an idealscope because we have a connection with the stone and don't want to know if there are imperfections (ignorance can be bliss!).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AndyDiamond|1329289464|3126552 said:
Hi everyone,

Here's a new one that popped up on Bluenile. Price is right at around 32k, and it is triple excellent. 2.55 carats V2 G. HCA scores bad though at 3.8. The plot diagram does seem to have a lot of inclusions for a VS2. Is this one even worth bringing in to check?

Stone specs:
Measurements: 8.69 x 8.72 x 5.42 mm
Table: 58 %
Depth: 62.3%
Crown angle: 36 degrees
Girdle: Medium to Slightly thick

Link to stone: http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?track=head#diamonds_pid=LD02449093

As long as you have someone bring it in who can provide an IS, magnified images, verify how eyeclean it is from the top and sides, and check it in various lighting to see if the fluor. is okay, then I think I would call it in!

AndyDiamond

Rough_Rock

Guys,

Here are the images of the hearts and arrows zoomed up of the stone below, courtesy of Troy Lob at Liberty Diamonds. I got this diamond brokered by GoldoldGold but may send it back, as I see 4 black marks visible with naked eye 10 inches away from the side and pavillion. From the top, now that I know where to look, it is visible as well, but not visible at first glance. Is this unusual with a VS2?

What do you guys think of the pics?

Andy

AndyDiamond|1328928532|3123758 said:
Hi everyone,

I have found a 2.52 carat VS2 G color, which scores well on the HCA, with a .8 score and excellent rating on all 4 areas. The crown angle of 33.5 concerns me a little that it might be too shallow.

Below are the specs, and attached is a copy of the cert. The date on the cert is February 1, 2010 which also concerns me a bit on why this stone has been floating around so long. Please share your thoughts.

Stone specs:
Measurements: 8.85 x 8.89 x 5.31 mm
Table: 57 %
Depth: 59.9%
Crown angle: 33.5 degrees
Girdle: Thin to Medium

2.52VS2Garrows.jpg

2.52VS2Ghearts.jpg

AndyDiamond

Rough_Rock

Folks,

What do you think about the pics? Does it look like a true hearts and arrows? For a VS2 of this size, should I expect it to be eye clean from all angles or just looking from the top? I can see 4 black inclusions which are actually 2, but the appraiser told me that it's reflecting so it appears to be a group of 4 in a square patten from 10 inches away looking from the side and pavillion. Please share what you think, as I need to return this stone ASAP before my return period is over, just 4 days.

Thanks,

Andy

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results