shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a cheaper round bezel pendant setting for a beautiful sapphire!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

The parti-color sapphire at ACS is calling my name, loudly. I think I want to make it a grad present for my baby sister as a bezel set pendant, but to do it, I''d have to convince my older sister that we can afford it. While I love KCoursolle''s BGD pendant, I don''t think we can afford it. Can you helpful ladies and gents help me find something more in the LOGR price range?

Thanks so much!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have a local jeweler, you could see if they can buy through pre-cast Stuller or Adwar settings.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Thats true... Thanks! Do you know how much something like this goes for? I''m hesitant to buy the sapphire before I know we can do it. I also don''t know a good jeweler around me, but I live in New York, so that can''t be too hard!

I guess I''m also wondering what range other beautiful custom pieces fall in. I had rings from OneGarnetGirl and am considering emailing her to see if she could do a pendant.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could also ask Julia Kay Taylor on etsy, her bezel work is fantasic, but there''s a bit of a wait for the work.

But if your stone is a standardize size, it would probably be cheaper to buy one pre cast.

If you''re open to prong settings, you can try Tripp''s too (you can also see the prices)
http://www.pickyourjewelry.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=153&pg=1

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I love her bezel work and was thinking about that but wondering if its out of our price range, even in silver. I don''t mind waiting. My sister won''t graduate until May
1.gif

I don''t love prongs, but those prices are hard to ignore, and it would showcase the color nicely.

MTG, the ring you just mentioned in AJ''s thread, can I ask who made that one?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2009 11:28:38 AM
Author: Novel
MTG, the ring you just mentioned in AJ''s thread, can I ask who made that one?

Julia''s prices for a simple silver bezel pendant I would GUESS is around $100? You could also just try putting up an alchemy listing on etsy and see what offers you get.

Kyle Anne Metals of etsy did my thumb ring, she doesn''t really hand make her bezels though, she uses tubing. Which is why her prices are lower, although her craftsmanship isn''t nearly as good as Julia''s in my opinion.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Good to know. I was thinking about asking Maddie to make a version of this but as much as I love the rings she did for me, I think Julia''s work is better. $100 seems doable... I''ll give a look into Alchemy, too. I''d be willing to spend a little more for it to be flawless.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2009 11:37:07 AM
Good to know. I was thinking about asking Maddie to make a version of this but as much as I love the rings she did for me, I think Julia''s work is better. $100 seems doable... I''ll give a look into Alchemy, too. I''d be willing to spend a little more for it to be flawless.

Yeah, and Julia''s very nice about working around a budget :)

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, MTG
1.gif
I''m excited now. Will just have to get my sister on the phone!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of those setting options sound GREAT!!

I like the one from Stuller and a couple of years ago I''d say in gold it was less that $140 but now?? Any jeweler can call Stuller and get a price on the setting for you, no need to commit to buy it.

But going custom may get you just what you want! Have FUN with this!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! Now I''m excited.
9.gif

Ok, I think I''m going to see if I can get more pics from Rick and then start talking to jewelers! Is there anything else you experts think I should be asking, need to know, before I start?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the nice things about working with a skilled artisan like Julia is she can also help you find ideas to customize things. She does really fun things working initials into pendant key designs, etc, so if that''s something you''re interested in, you could ask if she has any ideas on personalizing a bezel.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, MTG. I think I''ll just let her know what I''m interested in (bezel set, what the stone is like, with some movement and light to it) and see where she can go from there. I''m getting all giddy over here!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have the parti-sapph reserved yet? That would be the first thing I would do, as the rest of the project is resting on that. Might I add, that sapph is GORGEOUS!!! I have sweet spot for corundum, and the teal in that one is just
30.gif

Julia''s work seems to look very nice and I haven''t heard a complaint on here.... I can''t wait to see how it turns out! What a lucky sister you have!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2009 11:14:25 AM
Thats true... Thanks! Do you know how much something like this goes for? I''m hesitant to buy the sapphire before I know we can do it. I also don''t know a good jeweler around me, but I live in New York, so that can''t be too hard!

I guess I''m also wondering what range other beautiful custom pieces fall in. I had rings from OneGarnetGirl and am considering emailing her to see if she could do a pendant.
hey Novel - kinda late to the game, but that setting, I was about to have Michael at Gemshoppe order it for me, he said that it wasn''t too much less than $100 (maybe even less) Maybe Rick at ACS can order for you as well if your stone is calibrated to your stone? its a back set bezel (faux) so it wouldn''t be too much, there are tiny prongs on the back that keeps the stone in.

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
Have you thought about having it set in silver?

I got Sally at Heart of Water on Etsy to set me an aquamarine in her pillbox design as a pendant. It is really delicate and I love the work on the basket. I didn''t actually realise that Tiffany make a really similar necklace in platinum with aquamarine, and I have been asked if it is from there a few times. I remember the price was very reasonable, definitely less than $150.

SallyAquaPillboxPendant.jpg

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all, thanks for your comments!

Kas, I did reserve it (I was worried about that, too!) and then bought it tonight. I'm totally with you on the color! I couldn't believe what it looked like... eek!

Rick sent me some more pics. I'm interested in seeing what it looks like in real life, as the unlit pics are dark (as you'd imagine) but show a couple of different colors. I think I'll ask him in the morning if I can show his other pics to you guys, since I've bought it. Is there etiquette on that?

D&T, hi!
35.gif
Thanks for telling me, that is interesting. The price sounds about right!

SaphhireLover, your pendant is beautiful! That would be amazing, and its definitely a good price. I like the way its set into the chain, and her work is clearly beautiful.

So many options! I think I'm going to have to see what I think of the stone and what calls to me about it. I think I'm starting to worry about it being too dark and needing light, but we'll see...

I love these options! Thanks, all. I asked Julia for a quote, too, and she seems wonderful. I hope I'm not in over my head.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results