shape
carat
color
clarity

help me find a 1.5 - 2 ct diamond for my mom

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

My mom is interested in purchasing a new diamond (her''s cracked, but she''s still wearing it for now), in the 1.5 to 2 ct range, and I would LOVE to show her and my dad the benefits of buying online, but I am the worst at actually finding stones (I tried a couple times and gave up and decided to ask for help)

Pls help me find some 1.5-2ct''s
emrose.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SweetieP, try the search tool at the top, type in your size range colour and clarity, then hit go or the cut quality. This should bring some up, I will have a look in a sec, what is the budget? What are the specs you are interested in, colour and clarity?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what shape? color/clarity range? price range?

you can get some contenders by using the search tool above. try using the ''in-house'' or ''cut quality'' search to narrow your selection.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
they''re always into finding a good deal, so probably something in an I ish color and SI (eyeclean) or better...I didnt notice the link above, I was using the vendor sites where I was getting confused haha. I''ll try it out too!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this diamond could be a stunner
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
check it out and see what Miss Belle thinks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know more about the diamond that broke
32.gif
- size, grades...

With the data at hand, the reflex choice goes to... something close to 2 cts from below.

On a quick 'In House' search three or four stones turn up all about 1.7cts: H-VS2 (14k), F-SI2 (13k), F-SI1 (16k) and J-SI1 (10k). The SI2 comes with a spot on the table, there are no pictures of the SI1s and H-VS2 turns out rather tempting. There's one 1.8cts I/Si1 (12k) at Blue Nile you might want to add on the list - THIS although the lab report is not conclusive about the 'eye clean' bit, IMO.

These are about 7.8mm. At just two carats they'd be 8, not allot more IMO. And there is a bit of a price difference that makes J or SI2 more likely to fit the same price range. If the tradeoff is worth it, it would be for somewhat over 2 cts for me - so that there is some more visible size difference. Maybe this, or similar.

This, not knowing the budget...

My 2c

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and what if they do not care much for certification, cut pedigree and others bells and whistles that the original diamond may not have had...

Oh well, that is a valid position too - especially if one knows what to look for DIY.

Assuming these were labeled H-SI1 by the US branch of EGL and, upon further inspection, cut and clarity turn out ok, there's always something ike these:

2.25cts,
H/SI1 (EGL),
depth: 60.5%
table:57%
girdle: m-
culet: no
finish:gd/gd
fluorescence:no
size:8.35*8.38*5.35
price: $11391

H/SI1 (EGL)
depth: 61%
table: 57%
girdle: m-
fluorescence: no
finish: gd/gd
fluorescence: no
size: 8.32*8.37*5.36
price:$11441

Scary? The price isn't...

If anything, these could be lined against the AGS J-SI2 mentioned above (link, again). Perhaps the symmtry would not cut it (pun intended), but given acceptable proportions, the others could turn out bright and attractive too.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 9:13:36 AM
Author: valeria101
Do you know more about the diamond that broke
32.gif
- size, grades...

With the data at hand, the reflex choice goes to... something close to 2 cts from below.

On a quick ''In House'' search three or four stones turn up all about 1.7cts: H-VS2 (14k), F-SI2 (13k), F-SI1 (16k) and J-SI1 (10k). The SI2 comes with a spot on the table, there are no pictures of the SI1s and H-VS2 turns out rather tempting. There''s one 1.8cts I/Si1 (12k) at Blue Nile you might want to add on the list - THIS although the lab report is not conclusive about the ''eye clean'' bit, IMO.

These are about 7.8mm. At just two carats they''d be 8, not allot more IMO. And there is a bit of a price difference that makes J or SI2 more likely to fit the same price range. If the tradeoff is worth it, it would be for somewhat over 2 cts for me - so that there is some more visible size difference. Maybe this, or similar.

This, not knowing the budget...

My 2c

The diamond that broke was a 1.8 carat that looked like 2 carats b/c of the way it was cut (large table, I think?). It was the first time they bought a diamond without thoroughly inspecting it b/c they trusted the jeweler and were trading in a lot of smaller high quality diamonds (they''d used him for 20 years). It''s a J color round cut. Anyways, it cracked about 3 months after she bought it, so my mom went back to the jeweler, who''d always been so nice and helpful, and he refused to do anything to help her out (after being a customer of his for 20 years, she was shocked at how little he cared). She went back a second time, and she was visibly upset that it cracked, especially knowing the value of the diamonds she had traded in for it. Instead of being sympathetic, he practically chased her out of the store, yelling at her that she was crazy and to never come back again...now my mom is very good at dealing with people and communicating, and is not one to start a huge fight in public--he made an embarassing scene in the middle of our small town.

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
I personally would stay away from those EGL cert stones just because it''s not worth the hassle if they do not turn out to be what you thought they were. Play it safe and go with AGS or GIA.
just my .02

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s a 1.72 J SI1 from GOG that looks smashing for under $10k...there is an odd pattern of inclusions but maybe those can be hidden under a prong? I''d at least check it out:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_722ct_j_si1_h&a.htm

That 2.225 from WF is stunning but it does have an interesting pavilion inclusion pattern that I saw in person, it deterred me from being further interested but not everyone would be so picky.

Not sure how much you want to spend but doing something just shy of 2c like that GOG stone may be a very affordable way to get an exceptionally cut and large diamond, especially if her old stone was more of a brilliant cut, an ideal unbranded H&A or similar stone should really blow her socks off in being that little bit better and it may face up like a 2c to most people as well due to what they typically buy at the store!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 1:26:09 PM
Author: Mara
Here''s a 1.72 J SI1 from GOG that looks smashing for under $10k...there is an odd pattern of inclusions but maybe those can be hidden under a prong? I''d at least check it out:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_722ct_j_si1_h&a.htm

That 2.225 from WF is stunning but it does have an interesting pavilion inclusion pattern that I saw in person, it deterred me from being further interested but not everyone would be so picky.

Not sure how much you want to spend but doing something just shy of 2c like that GOG stone may be a very affordable way to get an exceptionally cut and large diamond, especially if her old stone was more of a brilliant cut, an ideal unbranded H&A or similar stone should really blow her socks off in being that little bit better and it may face up like a 2c to most people as well due to what they typically buy at the store!

Thanks Mara! I''ll fwd this to my dad, unfortunatly I''m not in a financial position to buy expensive diamonds, but at least I can help him look.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results