shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me evaluate this blue sapphire

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys,

I've been looking at this sapphire and will appreciate any insights that you may have from it. It's large and there are photos of it set & unset.

Am focusing more on potential issues with the gem and will consider trustworthiness / transaction safety separately. Doubt the seller will accept returns.

Things that trouble me are:
  • Okay so the colour doesn't seem to be top, although it's still kinda nice. But in the setting it's starting to look a bit "flat" to me. Especially when compared to the other sapphires from the same seller (sold and no longer available), which I'm going to post as reference colours since I assume his pictures are in the same conditions
  • Unset I can clearly see a window that is mostly hidden once set (or by the cloth?), but it doesn't seem too bad
  • Am suspicious that it's zoning somewhat - when he flips it over, it looks like the bottom of the gem is more transparent?
    • Same bottom flip over issue with the Reference Sapphire #3
  • Does sapphire have serious zoning issues in general? Is anything a tell tale sign?
I'm not deadset on getting this sapphire or any sapphire at the moment but also trying to do some learning from pictures.

Thanks!

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
Gem of interest - Set

Set - 1.JPG

Set - 2.JPG

Set - 3.JPG

Set - 4.JPG

Unset

Unset -1.jpg

Unset -3.jpg

Flipped over - what is this!

Unset -4.JPG

Unset -5.JPG

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
Ideal reference sapphires - from the same seller, previously sold

#1 - looks like it has a lot more glow than the sapphire of interest?

1.JPG

#2 - this gem just seems a lot more beautiful

2-1.JPG

2-2.JPG

:kiss2:

#3 Thought this was fairly nice in colour too, until it was flipped over

3-1.JPG

What is going on with the bottom here as well??

3-2.JPG

3-3.JPG

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Flipping a gem will inevitably make it look less saturated. Light return is not the same as when the stone is looked top down and face up.

I don’t see any window, but it’s up to personal preference how perfect the stone has to be.

In terms of color, I see a medium toned sleepy blue with very slight grey modifier in low light.

I don’t see any major issues with this stone, other than you not being convinced about it - which is what matters most. I would move on ;-)

Good luck!!

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
thanks @VividRed , super informative and helped put names to the characteristics I was struggling to describe. If you don't mind, I have a few followup questions:

• Grey modifier - is this why the colour seems to look more "flat" in the setting photos (which look like lower light)
  • When you say sleepy, it's the opposite of crystalline? Would the reference stones #1 & #2 be much more crystalline examples?
  • I've also read that silk (which makes a sapphire sleepy?) can create a glow, but this one is "glowing" less than #1 & #2.
  • Does that mean that it just has plain ol' inclusions rather than silk?
Thanks for explaining on top down vs face up too!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
#1 get them to shine a light through it and give you front on shot, followed by shot from back. Ideally also get a photo with a white background, and if they can manage it a photo in low lighting conditions (say under flouresecent or normal indoor lighting) at night.

#2's photographs are probably highly inaccurate, background is super over-saturated.

#3 has a nasty inclusion on the girdle.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one that is set in the ring is a nice hue but it’s got a grey modifier and has silk giving it a slightly hazy look. It’s also low on saturation/ vividness.
The already sold ones, the pair are more sparkly probably due to there being less silk and a different cut. The second one is more saturated /vivid as is the last one.
Gems need to be assessed “face up” in different lighting conditions as this is how it is worn when set. The back view is mainly so you can see the rear facets and check for any surface reaching fissures. How it “looks” colour wise upside down doesn’t matter, it’s not how you ever view the gem.
In some of the photos the facets are reflecting sometime pink in the background - a bit off putting.
Many sapphires will have some colour zoning, many sapphires will be cut for both weight retention and to improve the “face up” view. For this reason sometimes the underside is a weird shape / slightly askew.
Its also important to check measurements instead of weight. Face upsize can be variable depending on the cut. Most of us prefer to be able to “see” the carats we bought rather than have them hidden underneath as a “fat bottom”.
Also check the gems girdle, that the rim around the outside. It’s best to avoid gems that have inclusions / feathers that reach the girdle. Some girdles have small chips too. These factors are not necessarily deal breakers but should be factored into a lowering of the price.
Most important though is to chose a vendor who allows returns. You just never know how it will look in real life where you live until you receive it. Being able to return a gem that isn’t as you expected is important. However, always ask for extra photos and videos so the chance of you needing to return it are small. Buyers are responsible for all the shipping costs so getting and returning gems Willy nilly will soon add up.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
It looks like it has the half-half extinction? Ask for more pics or video to see. If it has, are you ok with that?

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @qubitasaurus @Bron357 @icy_jade

Sorry for the late reply. I think I will pass on this as it isn't cheap - same as my earrings from George actually - and this is not a vendor who will have easy returns.

Learned so much from this! Windows, modifiers, saturation, half-half extinction, silk

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results