shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

happy

Rough_Rock
i just got engaged and my boyfriend gave me a princess cut diamond with the idea that we would then choose a setting together. All I know about the diamond is that it is princess cut (from a reputable dealer), 1.0 carat, color E, S13 (with visible inclusions). Also, it is rectangular in shape - 5mm by 6mm. He paid about $3000 for it. Although the color is good, I feel like $3000 is steep given a very visible inclusion and the fact that it is rectangular instead of square.

I have a few options. One is to keep the stone and buy a setting from this dealer all within our price range of $4000 - $5000.
Alternatively, I visited a Movado store and found a beautiful movado cut princess stone in a simple setting. For our price range, they were offering a 0.5 carat, H color, VS2 princess cut.

I am having trouble making up my mind between these two. Which is better in terms of quality and resale value (in the event of an upgrade
2.gif
)? A 1.0 carat, E color, rectangular princess cut diamond with inclusions or 0.5 carat, H color, square princess cut wiith no inclusions (VS1)?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Well, off the bat, I would want a one carat stone over a 1/2 any day -- there really is a big difference in visual size. As for the issue of rectangular v. square proportions, I personally don''t have a problem with something rectangular -- actually, it will probably look larger than its same size square shaped counterpart, because the more "elongated" shapes (marquise, rectangular emerald cuts, ovals) look larger in a one carat size than does a one carat round.

As for the color, that E willl blow the other stone''s H away, no question. However, that E may really be more like an F, because it must be EGL lab graded as they are the only ones who use the SI3 designation. So, even at F, compared to a true H, there will be a difference. Whether it is enough for you to make a difference is really only something you can decide; when you are not comparing stones of various colors side-by-side and are wearing a set diamond in your real life, the color -- especially if we are talking between an F and an H, is really not so significant.

How visible are the inclusions? Are these only something that you, the wearer, will be gazing at a million times a day as well as closely scrutinizing? Are these inclusions that anyone else who quickly glances at your ring from afar will see? Let me tell you about my MIL''s ring: 5 carat, Lucida-inspired cut, GIA "D" color -- absolutely breathtaking, as you can imagine. Well, it has a black carbon spot on the table. Who would notice, even in a diamond that size? No one -- only the very lucky lady who owns it because no one else will look that closely nor know what to look for.

As for the Movado, you are paying for the Movado name and their branded stone. If you are not "sold" on keeping the one your FI picked out for you, then look elsewhere, but you are not comparing apples to apples.

happy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice! Any recommendations on a nice solitaire setting for my princess cut? Anything that would make it look more square (and maybe bigger?)? I am afraid that a simple setting with a princess cut might look masculine, especially given that I have large fingers (size 71/2 - 8)

I like the look of tension settings but I hear they are not safe (reports of lost diamonds!).

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
I would consider a 3rd option. If your FI is willing to let you return the stone, why not buy one from a pricescope vendor for $3000. I saw a few H, s1 princess stones for about $3000. Even if you go down to .89 and go up in color I tihnk you can get a gorgeous stone in your price range. And if it is well cut it will look bigger!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
a different princess setting.....

chrispearl.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results