shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide on the size on studs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I am lost and really need help here. I am trying to decide if I should get a new pair of studs. I currently have a pair of 0.51ctw studs and is thinking of getting a pair that's 1ctw.

I would like to know if the 1ctw is too big becuase I have a 0.55c solitaire pendant. Will the 1ctw studs be too big and look out of propotion when worn together with my pendent? Please let me know what you think, should I:

1. Get the 1ctw studs.

2. Get a pair that's 0.8ctw.

Thank you, everyone here has great taste and any feedback from anyone is greatly appreciated.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I think either would be fine. If you get 1 ctw, each will be about the same as your pendant and how cool is that?!

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Jewels! I had the same problem (almost exactly the same!) a few months ago. I have an 0.55 carat pendant and I wore it with 0.4tcw studs. I liked the "50/50" proportion thing (well roughly)but I wanted bigger studs. I thought the same about if I have all the stones in my studs and pendant the same size would it look strange or not. For me, I went with the studs that were slightly smaller (0.80 tcw) because I think I was so used to having my studs be smaller it seemed "right" for me. can you go into a store with your pendant on and look at some stud sizes for comparison???

BTW the .80 tcw studs (the ready set go from WF) are an incredible size!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
You will save quite a bit of money staying just under the 1/2 carat weight for each stone. I purchased .85 tcw for my niece and they are a very nice size.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I do think that 1 ctw studs will look out of proportion with a .55 pendant. Are you planning to keep your .51 tcw studs? If so, then I think it''d make more sense to get the second pair in as large of size as you can afford so you have two distinctly different sizes to wear. Then, when you want to wear your pendant, you can possibly just put your smaller studs back in for a more balanced look. . .but, if you''re trading in your smaller earrings, then maybe go half way between these two sizes around .75 tcw.

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/2/2005 8:52:24 AM
Author: PunchNPie75
Hi Jewels! I had the same problem (almost exactly the same!) a few months ago. I have an 0.55 carat pendant and I wore it with 0.4tcw studs. I liked the '50/50' proportion thing (well roughly)but I wanted bigger studs. I thought the same about if I have all the stones in my studs and pendant the same size would it look strange or not. For me, I went with the studs that were slightly smaller (0.80 tcw) because I think I was so used to having my studs be smaller it seemed 'right' for me. can you go into a store with your pendant on and look at some stud sizes for comparison???

BTW the .80 tcw studs (the ready set go from WF) are an incredible size!
PunchPie,

Yeah, I have been thinking about the .80 tcw from WF for the longest time but didn't really have the urge until I saw this pair set in 18k WG from my local jeweler. One is 0.51 and the other is 0.52, J (quite white, more like a H), SI1 (totally eye clean - one is clean with a loupe and the other stone has a feather on the bottom and a small black spot near the girdle when you look through a loupe). Very good cut, but looks very good in person and is it's only $1750. They look huge on my ears and I am not used to it. I really like the idea of hitting the 1/2c mark tough. Also, after wearing the 0.51 tcw for so many years, I would really like to go BIGGER. So, I am not sure at this point if I should go with the pair from WF which has a better cut, or settle for this pair from the local jeweler.

How can buying diamonds be so complicated?
6.gif

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/2/2005 2:47:41 PM
Author: MC
Hi,

I do think that 1 ctw studs will look out of proportion with a .55 pendant. Are you planning to keep your .51 tcw studs? If so, then I think it'd make more sense to get the second pair in as large of size as you can afford so you have two distinctly different sizes to wear. Then, when you want to wear your pendant, you can possibly just put your smaller studs back in for a more balanced look. . .but, if you're trading in your smaller earrings, then maybe go half way between these two sizes around .75 tcw.
Hi MC,

I wear my pendant all the time. I also wear my studs almost all the time as well. If I do get this new set, I am going to recycle my old 0.51 tcw studs. I will set them in bezel and have them attached permanently with my earring jackets which are now set in bezel. For more info on my jackets, please see the link below.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-first-recycling-project.28804/

Decisions decisions decisions......I think my life would be less complicated without diamonds.

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/2/2005 8:25:21 PM
Author: Jewels

PunchPie,

Yeah, I have been thinking about the .80 tcw from WF for the longest time but didn''t really have the urge until I saw this pair set in 18k WG from my local jeweler. One is 0.51 and the other is 0.52, J (quite white, more like a H), SI1 (totally eye clean - one is clean with a loupe and the other stone has a feather on the bottom and a small black spot near the girgle when you look through a loupe). Very good cut, but looks very good in person and is it''s only $1750. They look huge on my ears and I am not used to it. I really like the idea of hitting the 1/2c mark tough. Also, after wearing the 0.51 tcw for so many years, I would really like to go BIGGER. So, I am not sure at this point if I should go with the pair from WF which has a better cut, or settle for this pair from the local jeweler.

How can buying diamonds be so complicated?
6.gif
Sounds like you feel the one from your jeweler''s is too big for you, then go with the .8ctw from WF. But let me just say that you might quickly get used to the diamonds being too big!
9.gif
I wear a pair that''s .46-.47 carat each and they looks just right on me, and I do have small ear lobes. They are WF''s ACA and they look smashing! An excellent cut diamond will look bigger too. If you decide to go with studs 1ctw, I don''t think it''ll look out of proportion with your pendant. They will be the same size so I don''t think it will overwhelm it. Keep us updated with what you decide!
35.gif

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
I''d definitely go with the bigger ones. I think you''ll avoid an upgrade step if you do so. You''ll get used to the size in no time and be glad they''re bigger. That''s what happened to me. When I first got my studs, I thought they were too big, but now I almost want bigger ones! Haha.

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
Just want to give everyone an update. I went back and saw the studs again today and they look smashing!!!!! Love them even more.

What sealed the deal was when my jeweler dropped the price for me to $1625. He knew that I wanted the studs badly, I am so excited!!!
36.gif

Sorry no pics yet as I asked that the studs get changed to screw backs so it may take a few weeks as it is the holiday season, and I don''t want to rush my jeweler. So I told him to take his time.

I will surely post pics when I get them.

Thank you all for all your help.

BTW, they still look BIG and I am still not used to it...but I know I will in no time. I felt like Angelina Jolie when I was at the store with the earrings on this afternoon.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results