shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide on Cushion Setting

wolverine_man

Rough_Rock
Got his back from GOG just now:

Q: Is this diamond eye clean being an SI1? I see the inclusions under which I think is a higher power magnification but I'd like someone to verify this for me.

A: I can see the inclusion under the loupe clearly. When I take the loupe away and look for it I have to tilt the stone a certain way and really make an effort to look for it - only then can I catch a *glimpse*. It is not blatant at all.

Should this give me any pause for reconsideration?

Shannie

Rough_Rock
Hi all... I do really like the Vintage cushion style from GOG but not sure of a setting as well. Do you really think a halo will enhance the stone's look or take away from its signature broad flashes? I am afraid of that and also that the halo will become an outdated look in time. What do you all think?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very particular about clarity, but I think that little dot is going to be SO tiny in real life that it would be very unlikely for anyone to notice it. No one is going to get 5 inches away and turn it every direction to try to see it anyway. Think of it as a tiny birthmark and proof that the diamond is real!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shannie|1325091305|3090052 said:
Hi all... I do really like the Vintage cushion style from GOG but not sure of a setting as well. Do you really think a halo will enhance the stone's look or take away from its signature broad flashes? I am afraid of that and also that the halo will become an outdated look in time. What do you all think?

Shannie, I do think some halos are overdone especially when there is pave in every available spot! But a simple halo like this will never go out of style, in my opinion. Diamonds surrounding a center stone has been around for ages, so it is not something new. It's just that engagement rings have lately been more of the solitaire type, but that was not always the case judging from looking at antique rings. I do not think a halo would detract at all from one of GOG's antique cushions. But it depends on the size of the stone whether I would want one or not.

wolverine_man

Rough_Rock
Got confirmation that the diamond is considered "eye clean." You have to really, really be looking for it, to even get any kind of sight of it, and then even most people wouldn't see it. I'm going to double check on everything by phone with Jon in the AM.

I also spoke with Mark who said that the option posted before, is an excellent diamond, despite the girdle variance he recommended it.

http://www.engagementringsdirect.co...cut-beyond-cushion-cut-diamond-gid-15233.html

I think I will still go with the GOG with rounded corner halo setting, though. I cannot tell what the setting prices are on most of the EGR rings, but even the plain solitaire ones appear to be substantially higher than GOG. I should be somewhat wise, I guess, in my spending.

Given a larger budget, I'd probably go something like this:

http://www.engagementringsdirect.co...cut-beyond-cushion-cut-diamond-gid-67559.html

Shannie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply diamondseeker... that helps me. Now I have to figure out.. ERD cushion or GOG cushion.. GOG is a sure thing but the price tag reflects that...ugh. Like the Gabriel and Co. settings.

wolverine_man

Rough_Rock
Spoke with Jon at GOG today. He gave the thumbs up on the 1.0 SI1 modern cushion and my selected setting of the rounded edge Gabriel Halo. This will be my choice. Very excited, will be doing the bankwire later today.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on making your choice! and now it's all done with, time to celebrate :bigsmile:

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
wolverine_man|1325176268|3090765 said:
Spoke with Jon at GOG today. He gave the thumbs up on the 1.0 SI1 modern cushion and my selected setting of the rounded edge Gabriel Halo. This will be my choice. Very excited, will be doing the bankwire later today.

I think you made an excellent choice. I think the halo will just add to the beauty of the stone and make a beautiful and eye-catching piece. Please come back with pictures when it's complete!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wolverine_man|1325176268|3090765 said:

There are a lot of bad modern cushions out there, but this one is truly one of the very best I have seen! It will be gorgeous in that setting and she will be thrilled!!!

wolverine_man

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of your guys (gals) help, especially you Farmer Girl. I shall have her post a pic on here after the proposal. Now, I need to decided how to pull it all off! =)

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad it all worked out, looking forward to pictures:)

wolverine_man

Rough_Rock
They ordered the setting. With a little luck, it may be complete by end of this coming week. Thank you all again.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
How exciting for you! Went through the whole thread and I think you really made the best choices (I know, after the fact ;)) . Please post pics when you propose.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!! I can't wait to see the finished result.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oh that is gorgeous! can't wait to see the finished ring!

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
It looks gorgeous :love: Now don't forget to come back with pictures of that puppy :twirl:

wolverine_man

Rough_Rock
got a package in the mail today:

ring_7.jpg

Only an iphone pic for now. I think it turned out quite nicely.

Sparkly_Girl

Rough_Rock
wolverine_man|1326379341|3101163 said:
got a package in the mail today:

ring_7.jpg

Only an iphone pic for now. I think it turned out quite nicely.

I lurked on this thread... the ring turned out beautifully! Please let us know when you've proposed to her. We'd love to hear the story and see hand shots!

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
All that worry for nothing, beautiful! :love: :love: :love: She will love it, she liked the .32 so this will totally blow her mind. Nice job! Look forward to those hand shots...

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I love it :love: Please come back with handshots :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, that turned out beautifully!!!

Can't wait for some handshots :bigsmile:

wolverine_man

Rough_Rock
Thank you. I am consulting with my insurance agent right now for a personal article floater policy. Trying to decide whether to insure it for out of pocket cost or the GOG appraisal, which I presume is on the high side, as it is almost twice the out of pocket cost. It's not at all expense to insure, just wondering how much coverage I should get.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results