shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide between 2 rings?!

rimjaja

Rough_Rock
I don't think you'd ever regret platinum. I have always been a rich yellow gold person (the deeper the better) and i really detest silver jewelry -- but now that I have pieces in platinum, white gold and yellow gold - I will be the first to admit that the platinum does look really good with diamonds

glitterglitter

Rough_Rock
Premium
I appreciate you showing me that stone. To be clear, I'm not looking at this ring for the stone. I realize this stone is not the best I could do. Ultimately, I care more about the setting. I LOVE this setting, settings are more important to me, and I am super particular about them. SUPER particular. As in, I rarely see settings I like (that I can reasonably afford). That one by JBG? I would never want it, even with the best diamond in the world!

I don't think you'd ever regret platinum. I have always been a rich yellow gold person (the deeper the better) and i really detest silver jewelry -- but now that I have pieces in platinum, white gold and yellow gold - I will be the first to admit that the platinum does look really good with diamonds

This is totally how I feel. I prefer yellow gold for solitaires, for anything with opals or most other gemstones, but for diamonds with filigree type detail, I prefer platinum. I don't see that changing, just because the platinum + diamonds combo is so dang pretty.

Also, I hesitate to decide and buy a yellow gold ring based on theoretical future jewelry pieces. I don't really see myself buying a lot of jewelry in the future. Who knows, but I see having a yellow gold band as a versatile thing because if I acquire other yellow gold pieces, I can always wear the band on the days I wear those. And most days I don't wear any other jewelry, so it the platinum won't clash.

glitterglitter

Rough_Rock
Premium
So... is it standard that the buyer pay for a diamond to be evaluated?

I would gladly pay for the certification/evaluation if the seller is correctly evaluating it (within reason), but I am worried that the evaluation will show that the seller has not correctly graded the stone. If the seller won't negotiate down based off of the independent evaluation, then I'm out 100s of dollars. Kind of an annoying wager...

And there's another variable, which is that the piece is consignment, so any negotiation would have to be approved by the owner. And what are the chances that the jeweler is going to say "I didn't grade your stone correctly, so now this buyer wants us to come down even more in price." Seems like they are more likely to say, "sorry, the owner won't budge."

Catch 22!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds under 1 ct costs just shy of $80 for a GIA lab report. Tell the seller that if the grading is accurate, you'd buy the ring and pay for the report. If it comes back as something else, the sale will not take place and the seller pays for the report.

glitterglitter

Rough_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1441887051|3926024 said:
Diamonds under 1 ct costs just shy of $80 for a GIA lab report. Tell the seller that if the grading is accurate, you'd buy the ring and pay for the report. If it comes back as something else, the sale will not take place and the seller pays for the report.

I had no idea that a lab report was so affordable. Wow! I was trying to decipher on their website what it costs and I wasn't gathering it was that affordable.

I love that idea.

Do folks agree that if the stone is verified by GIA as accurately graded, that this ring is priced well and I shouldn't negotiate further? Or does anyone think it could still bear to come down in price? Want to make sure I'm agreeing to a sale price that I actually am prepared to execute on!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
glitterglitter|1441817182|3925652 said:
Also, my honey and I came up with an alternative that I am really excited about, regardless of which ring we select. I am going to purchase the e-ring and give it to him. He will handle the proposal. And he is going to start saving to take us on our first international vacation together. If he gets his promotion, it could be in 6 months. If not, it may take a few years to save up. Either way, having him take me on a romantic vacation together is far more meaningful than having him pay for a piece of jewelry that I picked out. Most importantly... we both feel good about the plan.

We were going to split the cost of the ring and split the cost of a trip, but I proposed the new arrangement and he softened immediately and thought it was more romantic. I've never been treated to an international trip by a partner before, so I am just so excited to see where he will be whisking me away!

I love that idea!!!

I can't wait to see what you choose and hear how the proposal goes. Be sure and let us know and share some pics.

glitterglitter

Rough_Rock
Premium
So... I decided against this ring. I couldn't let go of the idea of a Yellow Gold Solitaire.

I'm not sure if it's still available, but I promised if I decided against it that I would let you all know of its whereabouts. It's at a shop in SLO, CA called "Hamilton Estate Jewelry." Have at it! On one condition: if you end up pursuing it, I want to know the deets!!!

Now I am searching for a round solitaire - either a loose stone or in a yellow gold setting. I am leaning towards wanting a loose stone, because I am particular about the setting. I am open to OMC, OEC, Transitional etc. Mayyyybe open to a cushion if it's a spectacular stone and deal, but I prefer a round. Looking at .70 - 1.3 carats, with the ideal being close to the 1ct mark.

I'm on a budget. Any tips? I've been looking on Jewels by Grace and Love Affair Diamonds... I am willing to research and hunt for the right stone, but I don't really know where to look.

Thanks for any information you can provide. And thanks for helping me decide against this stone. All of your opinions helped me arrive at a decision that I knew was the right one...

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your post Glitterglitter, I hope you've had success finding your dream engagement ring, please keep us informed it would be lovely to know what you decide.

By the way, did any PSer buy the ring that 'glitterglitter' rejected? I'd love to hear the update and see more photos.

glitterglitter

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hounddog|1447108644|3947465 said:
Thank you for your post Glitterglitter, I hope you've had success finding your dream engagement ring, please keep us informed it would be lovely to know what you decide.

I will absolutely keep y'all posted. You've been soooo helpful; the least I can do is share my glitter with you.

By the way, did any PSer buy the ring that 'glitterglitter' rejected? I'd love to hear the update and see more photos.

Yes! Please do let me know if anyone ended up claiming the ring in SLO. I would feel so pleased if it found a home with a PSer.

weddingbands1

Rough_Rock
Hii!! Your query is very confusing and worthwhile. It is the matter of your entire life. Both the rings are gorgeous and will look pretty on your hand. But according to budget, you should try for ring #2. Ring #2 is simple but it will give you comfort and peace while wearing it. And about excitement, you will feel same after some time of wearing the #1 ring.Now enjoy company of your favorite ring. Have a good day!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results