shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose a metal for my new Peter Torraca zircon

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently purchased a beautiful honey zircon from PT, and I am torn on what metal to use for the basket/prongs. This is the setting I'm having made by David Klass:

I want the shank and "leaves" to be in 14K WG, but the basket/prongs to sort of melt into the stone (be as close to the neutral color of the zircon as possible). I'd like to keep a champagne-ish neutral color, and NOT bring out any yellow in the stone, if possible, as it is rather a chameleon IRL. [emoji4]
Any help/suggestion for what alloy I could use to achieve the most neutral look would be very much appreciated!

DK suggested 18K RG, but hasn't gotten my stone to see it IRL just yet.

Here is the stone.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1429917544.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1429917564.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1429917779.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1429917789.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help me choose a metal for my new Peter Torraca zircon

Just realized Tapatalk added my pics in the wrong places, but I'm sure you guys get the idea - HA!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I also wanted to add that I'll probably have DK do double claw prongs instead of the tab prongs.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tapatalk always does that
You know how I feel about.the metal and setting :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel said:
Tapatalk always does that
You know how I feel about.the metal and setting :)

Yes, ma'am! [emoji41][emoji41]

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Beautiful zircon. It reminds me a little of decodaze's yellow beryl a few threads down (I thought I was experiencing déjà vu!)

How does the zircon look placed with the different metals? Do you have different coloured bands to place it against? You might find that it looks better against one metal colour than the other.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous zircon!! Jason Brim posted this and I immediately contacted Peter Torraca, but it was already on it's way to a customer for viewing. I am so glad that customer is you!! Congrats :wavey:

I second the idea of putting the stone next to different types of metal to determine the ideal colour.

I hope you do not mind but I will say it anyway as I always appreciate that others are brutally honest to me as well.. While I LOVE that stone and LOVE that setting, I just do not see it together. The beautiful zircon has geometric Art Deco lines and the setting looks more flowery and romantic. I am not very experienced in jewelry, so I could be very wrong. With a stone like this, the outcome will be stunning anyway.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ricezo|1429922713|3867399 said:
Beautiful zircon. It reminds me a little of decodaze's yellow beryl a few threads down (I thought I was experiencing déjà vu!)

How does the zircon look placed with the different metals? Do you have different coloured bands to place it against? You might find that it looks better against one metal colour than the other.

Thanks, ricezo! I saw it and had to have it! :bigsmile:

I have placed it next to 14K yellow gold and 14K rose gold, but not in great lighting (dim bedroom), but I didn't really care for either. The gold was too yellow and the RG was too pink... :| Unfortunately, I don't have any 18K Yellow or RG to compare.

DK will probably know what's best when he has the stone in hand, as it just doesn't show it's true color in photographs.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love that setting and the stone!!! Can't wait to see it finished.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom|1429954370|3867530 said:
Gorgeous zircon!! Jason Brim posted this and I immediately contacted Peter Torraca, but it was already on it's way to a customer for viewing. I am so glad that customer is you!! Congrats :wavey:

I second the idea of putting the stone next to different types of metal to determine the ideal colour.

I hope you do not mind but I will say it anyway as I always appreciate that others are brutally honest to me as well.. While I LOVE that stone and LOVE that setting, I just do not see it together. The beautiful zircon has geometric Art Deco lines and the setting looks more flowery and romantic. I am not very experienced in jewelry, so I could be very wrong. With a stone like this, the outcome will be stunning anyway.

Thank you, Acinom -- I fell in love when I saw it on his facebook page! :love: It is really beautiful. :))

Regarding the setting, I don't mind at all! I like the way the setting softens the harsh lines of the asscher cut, so I rather like the combination. I wasn't really looking for anything other than a "neutral colored ring" that I could wear with yellow, rose, or white gold without it clashing too badly. :)) DK is currently doing a drawing for me, so if it doesn't look how I imagined, we can make changes or scrap that setting altogether. I have a difficult time visualizing how something will look until I see a rendering... we shall see how it turns out! 8)

I did a really bad photoshop of how it may look (the color is off, and so are the lines of the stone)... I'll try to post it in a sec. Thanks for our comments!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here is the sad photoshop... don't judge! HA! [emoji16]

(No laughing, guys! [emoji15])

imageuploadedbytapatalk1429971615.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Maybe ask DK about unplated White gold as well? I am looking forward to seeing the set stone, it seems like a gorgeous romantic colour.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1|1429971264|3867615 said:
I love that setting and the stone!!! Can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks, arkie! I'm so excited!! :bigsmile:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lovinggems|1429972304|3867626 said:
Maybe ask DK about unplated White gold as well? I am looking forward to seeing the set stone, it seems like a gorgeous romantic colour.

Good idea, Lovinggems... I need it to be "two-tone" to go with my gold and rose gold as well, so we'll see what he says. I love the muted neutral tone of brushed gold, but that's kinda difficult for basket and prongs... (sometimes I think I'm making up this color for my mystery metal - HA!) :halo:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, another sad photoshop, but maybe a little truer to color...

It still shows a little darker than IRL, but at least you can see the undertones are more brown than yellow or pink/peach. It's lighter and more muted than the pic shows as well...

imageuploadedbytapatalk1429973383.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great photoshopping!
Since you are after making the lines of the stone softer and give a romantic feel to the ring it will be a good combination. And with David's CAD's you will be able to see different perspectives.
Lovely project :appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom|1429973843|3867643 said:
Great photoshopping!
Since you are after making the lines of the stone softer and give a romantic feel to the ring it will be a good combination. And with David's CAD's you will be able to see different perspectives.

Thanks! That's the look I was hoping for, anyway... :)) I have always loved double claw prongs on asschers, and had asked for them, but I'm starting to wonder about the tab prongs again... Hmmmm... :naughty:

I guess David can always show me both and give his opinion... I can't wait to see what he comes up with -- he's sooo talented!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I thought I'd add that the OEC in the Erstwhile setting is almost 3 ct, so 9+mm, and my stone is 9.67 mm. Hopefully, that will allow me to keep the aesthetic of the original with my asscher.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What kind of prongs are you going to use that will make or break this ring. Rectangular tabs in each corner would look good or razor sharp claws in each corner, maybe a double claw.... The claws on the original look fantastic with the original but don't work or flow with the more crisp geometric shape of your stone.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04|1429974241|3867647 said:
Acinom|1429973843|3867643 said:
Great photoshopping!

Thanks! That's the look I was hoping for, anyway... :)) I have always loved double claw prongs on asschers, and had asked for them, but I'm starting to wonder about the tab prongs again... Hmmmm... :naughty:

I guess David can always show me both and give his opinion... I can't wait to see what he comes up with -- he's sooo talented!

Both tab prongs and claw prongs will look great with this stone. It's a good idea to ask David to show you both options.

It seems that DK has a growing customer base among PSers. He does such excellent work for an amazing price. I cannot wait to see your finished ring.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1|1429974815|3867653 said:
What kind of prongs are you going to use that will make or break this ring. Rectangular tabs in each corner would look good or razor sharp claws in each corner, maybe a double claw.... The claws on the original look fantastic with the original but don't work or flow with the more crisp geometric shape of your stone.

That's a great question, arkie... the rounded tab prongs on the original are iffy, but I still wanted to see what DK comes up with for comparison (I agree with doing the regular tab prongs, if that's how I decide to proceed, as the rounded ones just don't mesh with the straight lines/faceting of the stone). I asked him to do sharp double claw prongs, since I feel they look so nice on asscher cut stones. I'm not really a fan of single claw prongs for this, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Some eye candy with single and double claw prongs and double kitten paw prongs

_29525.jpg

_29526.jpg

_29527.jpg

_29528.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom|1429980598|3867691 said:
Some eye candy with single and double claw prongs and double kitten paw prongs

The single claw LM prongs are very nice... I'm the shorter ones are the "kitten paws"? Although I'm not sure I'd choose them, that's a cute name! :D

I've seen some double claw prongs that were sharper... let me see if I can find them.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

These were the style of double claw prongs I was thinking about, but after looking at the other LM single claw, it's gonna be a difficult decision!

imageuploadedbytapatalk1429984832.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It seems as if the single claw showcases cut corners of the asscher better, no? Does anyone else think this? :eh:

...and thanks for the photos, Acinom! :))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love the prongs on the last one you posted :love:

And mm, not sure but the single prongs seem to showcase the overall octagon outer shape of the Asscher cut a bit more?
I cannot find any examples of Asschers with tab prongs.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I would put it with stepcut traps. Kind of like this:

19332.jpg

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock

A couple of thoughts--I agree with Lovinggems about asking David about unplated WG, maybe higher karat for more warmth? That might work well, especially if you think YG is too yellow.

For the prongs, I think in close-ups, the single claws show off the cut corners best, but I'm wondering if from a distance, the single prongs will tend to visually "square off" the corners? I think from a distance (e.g., normal viewing conditions), the double claw emphasizes the lines of the cut corners better. I'm planning to do double claws on my asscher beryl for that reason. Of course, I could be wrong! :bigsmile:

Love your stone! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results