shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP!!! Just started on buying first diamond....

tduenas4520

Rough_Rock
That ebay ring is amazing.... but scary. Everyone puts so much into GIA specs, colors, cut grades, depth and table percentsges, fluorescence, etc. With this purchase, I could get a used ring worth 2,000, or an amazing ring worth double. ...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The ring is worth what it is listed for not more. Make no mistake. Don't fall for inflated appraisals. The is a retail replacement value and even then it's inflated. But it is a nice unique vintage piece in her style.It has a 30 day return policy if you find it doesn't meet expectations. But it is marquise shaped so make sure she loves it first.

When you get it appraised do not say you bought it on eBay. Say it is an heirloom that you want appraised.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

tduenas4520

Rough_Rock
The last one you shown me has been my favorite so far. I know she has shown interest in the huge bling, but I feel those are too close to the fake $20 rings one can purchase at Charlotte Ruse or Forever 21.

So I had her co-worker (she is a server at a popular seafood restaurant on the harbor), help me out last night. I convinced her to sit down with brianna and go over her pinterest, and to have her remove any rings that she does not "ABSOLUTELY LOVE" as her and I are hitting the 5-year mark and I "could" be ring shopping.

That 1.10 oval cut at James Allen was a good match, unfortunately it was sold. The other one puts me well over budget...

tduenas4520

Rough_Rock

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tduenas4520|1468685129|4056083 said:
I like this one. Looks similar to what she has posted, and also has the pear side stones. If I match it with a nice oval cut, she would get the two stones she loves the most in one ring. https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/14k-white-gold-fanciful-fluted-pear-pave-engagement-ring-item-9229

and I keep gravitating towards this ring as well.... https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/side-stones/14k-white-gold-pave-trio-engagement-ring-item-10619

I like that second setting and how the 3 stones sort of lead up to an elongated oval. I wonder if they could engrave it and how much
that would be?

Have you see this stone?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.08-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1883249

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tduenas4520|1468692470|4056113 said:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.15-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-1883232

Is that stone suitable? I have attempted to find stones with similar specs you all have shown me....

No... that stone looks very dingy and has a lot of mush going on in the center. You really need to stick with H and above for ovals/pears.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll throw this out...it's not as exciting but for some couples it's a good option...

Buy the biggest stone in your budget and put it in a simple 4/6 prong setting. Propose with that and then let her
find a setting that she loves.

Inexpensive 4/6 prong settings at JA...$180
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-2mm-knife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-7115
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-presentation-solitaire-six-prong-item-7990

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1468708617|4056171 said:
I'll throw this out...it's not as exciting but for some couples it's a good option...

Buy the biggest stone in your budget and put it in a simple 4/6 prong setting. Propose with that and then let her
find a setting that she loves.

Inexpensive 4/6 prong settings at JA...$180
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-2mm-knife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-7115
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-presentation-solitaire-six-prong-item-7990

I agree with tyty 100%!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bumped your stone budget up to $5800 and still didnt see any great stones :(.

tduenas4520

Rough_Rock
MSOP and TYTY, if I chose that solitaire after all the grief she has given me about how he loathes solitaires with a passion, my head would be on a stake....

I actually recall her telling me of a nightmare she had several years ago, where I proposed with a solitaire and he was disgusted but had to say yes, even though she wanted to say "Yes, but take that thing away from me". Haha

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tduenas4520|1468711317|4056186 said:
MSOP and TYTY, if I chose that solitaire after all the grief she has given me about how he loathes solitaires with a passion, my head would be on a stake....

I actually recall her telling me of a nightmare she had several years ago, where I proposed with a solitaire and he was disgusted but had to say yes, even though she wanted to say "Yes, but take that thing away from me". Haha

Head on stake :lol: ..OK, not good :shock: . The point was for her to go and pick out the setting she likes but I get what you're saying loud and clear!

How do you feel about pears? I know you said she liked them initially. I found one at GOG that is pretty big (length/width) but
the price is too high for a non-solitaire. I'll point it out anyway. This stone is about 9.5x6mm. That's a pretty big look. You could
probably find a simple ring with pave to put it in that would be in your budget but nothing with big side stones.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.24-Pear--GIA-I-VS2-diamond-stock-PS23350-cert-7226392330

BTW...what size is your GF's friend?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tduenas4520|1468711317|4056186 said:

Well, the whole point is that it wouldn't be a solitaire... it would be whatever she wanted it to be. The soli would simply be temporary.

...for such an outspoken and picky chick, this would be the best of both worlds! ...but I could be wrong. ::)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Think she would like a marquise?

Doesn't have to be that ebay one gypsy found bit they'll be large for the ctw and are a mix between a pear and an oval

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now I may be talking crazy talk here but.....

She wants something no one else has
Unique
Lots of ctw
Goes in rose gold
Based on some of her pins(a few brown stones in there)...think she'd take a brown diamond?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel said:
Now I may be talking crazy talk here but.....

She wants something no one else has
Unique
Lots of ctw
Goes in rose gold
Based on some of her pins(a few brown stones in there)...think she'd take a brown diamond?

You may be onto something, Niel... [emoji848]

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OP: The settings from JA you picked are not good fits for her. This on is: https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/14k-white-gold-three-stone-diamond-infinity-engagement-ring-item-41044 in rose gold.

Or this:
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/14k-white-gold-three-stone-diamond-engagement-ring-with-scroll-undergallery-item-22571

Neil, I looked for light brownish pink stones for him. I too thought it would be a good fit because she had a lot of morganite on her Pinterest. But since yesterday , since he had her edit he preferences, they are gone and only white diamonds remain. There is a marquise in a halo on there though. Regular halo.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OP I hate to say this but can you wait till November to buy a ring? You can save up another 1000 and also take advantage of the sales at the end of the year. Or buy he stone now for 5200( the D oval is spectacular) and save up 2000 for a setting at the end of the year? Diamonds don't go on sale but settings do, often as much as 15%.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful marquise but same problem as the D oval I found-- too expensive becaus that leaves only 800 for a setting. All settings she likes are in 1800 or more range

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy said:
OP I hate to say this but can you wait till November to buy a ring? You can save up another 1000 and also take advantage of the sales at the end of the year. Or buy he stone now for 5200( the D oval is spectacular) and save up 2000 for a setting at the end of the year? Diamonds don't go on sale but settings do, often as much as 15%.

I have to agree. Her Pinterest board is kinda all over the place. It would be good if you could wait and save on the setting.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy said:
Beautiful marquise but same problem as the D oval I found-- too expensive becaus that leaves only 800 for a setting. All settings she likes are in 1800 or more range

...all the more reason to wait and save. [emoji56]

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
msop04|1468717688|4056213 said:
Gypsy said:

Or buy stone now and wait for setting to save up funds. Totally agree.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1468717448|4056209 said:

Well here's what I was thinking.

Ja does HAVE settings under 900 (you can get 100 off so I'm using that range)

They may not be the most spectacular, but some of her rings are just pave. It's a compromise between "just getting a temp soli" which we know won't work, and gambling on a more expensive setting she may not love long term. You can still consider it a setting you'll upgrade down he road, but won't be a soli either.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy said:
msop04|1468717688|4056213 said:
Gypsy said:

Or buy stone now and wait for setting to save up funds. Totally agree.

Yes, this was what I meant... [emoji1360]

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of all the settings mentioned, I especially love the Simon G in rose gold with an oval or MQ. It's extremely affordable, gives a big look, and is different without being scary/risky.
a8cd402d96600d04b1576644111eeb78.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results