shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Is this a bow tie on my new ring?

mo05c

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I just received a new oval ring today and I feel like I’m seeing a bow tie, so just wanted to double confirm with you all on it. If it is, I might go back and exchange for a different diamond.

The bow ties seems to show up and disappear from different angles, it’s hard for me to tell, but here are some photos I took. Would love to get your opinion on if it’s a bow tie or not, and if so how bad it is. Thank you all in advance!! ❤️

5163A8F2-58BF-4114-96FC-FAD2A537EB29.jpeg

Attachments

• 10A9E659-0F99-4358-A518-8432814D0A0F.jpeg
    10A9E659-0F99-4358-A518-8432814D0A0F.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 62
  • AD3861D2-61B0-4F3C-961A-1AEED76630CE.jpeg
    AD3861D2-61B0-4F3C-961A-1AEED76630CE.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 62
  • F3EFDB45-38B5-42D9-9A79-B1599A696F32.jpeg
    F3EFDB45-38B5-42D9-9A79-B1599A696F32.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 9A06A907-DD1A-4F6D-9F6E-23873227C628.jpeg
    9A06A907-DD1A-4F6D-9F6E-23873227C628.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 63

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I would consider that a bowtie. However, it's not what I would consider a very "bad" one, as the bowtie itself isnt all black (e.g the facets all being "off" at the same time). So it's not my favorite stone, bit definitely not bad either

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Has a partial bow tie at some angles, min. face up.
It's not a bad stone.

mo05c

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys! Here’s another photo where I think the bow tie is more obvious 565AFFBF-E305-476C-80DF-617C589EDD5C.jpeg

mo05c

Rough_Rock
Yes, I would consider that a bowtie. However, it's not what I would consider a very "bad" one, as the bowtie itself isnt all black (e.g the facets all being "off" at the same time). So it's not my favorite stone, bit definitely not bad either

Although now you confirm that it is a bow tie it still is kind of a relieve to hear it in some ways. Haha, thanks for helping me understand more about how the facets works.

mo05c

Rough_Rock
Has a partial bow tie at some angles, min. face up.
It's not a bad stone.

Yea I couldn’t tell if the bow tie is minimal because they were so bad when I was sitting in the car, but it came out less obvious under natural light.

mo05c

Rough_Rock
Here’s another picture I guess I’m kind of obsessed

Attachments

• 3A4995D3-30D0-4A6B-A1AD-EEFFBE0C5FF1.jpeg
    3A4995D3-30D0-4A6B-A1AD-EEFFBE0C5FF1.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 41
Elongated shapes like ovals, pears, Marquis etc more than likely will have a bow tie. It’s a function of the cut. (My understanding of a bow tie is that those two triangular areas that return light differently, more like broad flashes, are always called a bow tie; nothing to do with the facets turning on or off). The skinnier/more elongated the shape the higher the chance for more pronounced bow tie from what I’ve seen, too (You can get specialty ovals at least, that are cut to eliminate bow ties completely, but personally I am not a fan - they are deep-cut, so they face up smaller, they are necessarily quite chubby which is not my preference, and ofc since they’re a specialty cut they come at a premium). But personally, I think a bow tie is only problematic or bad if it blacks out all at the same time; which in pictures yours definitely doesn’t. If you’re not happy that’s one thing, but I think you picked out a nice oval! It’s very pretty!!

mo05c

Rough_Rock
Elongated shapes like ovals, pears, Marquis etc more than likely will have a bow tie. It’s a function of the cut. (My understanding of a bow tie is that those two triangular areas that return light differently, more like broad flashes, are always called a bow tie; nothing to do with the facets turning on or off). The skinnier/more elongated the shape the higher the chance for more pronounced bow tie from what I’ve seen, too (You can get specialty ovals at least, that are cut to eliminate bow ties completely, but personally I am not a fan - they are deep-cut, so they face up smaller, they are necessarily quite chubby which is not my preference, and ofc since they’re a specialty cut they come at a premium). But personally, I think a bow tie is only problematic or bad if it blacks out all at the same time; which in pictures yours definitely doesn’t. If you’re not happy that’s one thing, but I think you picked out a nice oval! It’s very pretty!!

Thank you! And thanks so much for sharing your understanding on oval diamonds :) I did found a couple of ovals from BGD and Distinctive Gems, but they were either like what you said the shape is too rounded or that the table was small. I’m sure some people would like them as they have great cutting but I wasn’t too big of fan of it. It’s really hard to have everything you need in one diamond and personally I’ve came to peace with the diamond after understanding more about ovals in general :)

Thank you! And thanks so much for sharing your understanding on oval diamonds :) I did found a couple of ovals from BGD and Distinctive Gems, but they were either like what you said the shape is too rounded or that the table was small. I’m sure some people would like them as they have great cutting but I wasn’t too big of fan of it. It’s really hard to have everything you need in one diamond and personally I’ve came to peace with the diamond after understanding more about ovals in general :)

Exactly - I think everything is a function of compromise to an extent. You will likely always have to compromise on something or the other - whether it’s colour or clarity or cut or carat/spread or shape.

Also sometimes something that is considered “better” might not seem that way to your eyes. Or you might not be willing to pay for the improvement. I have a friend who wanted to buy a very large stone. She showed me a princess cut where the table > depth. That’s a strict no no according to all the science out there but hey, it worked, was a gorgeous stone and faced up even bigger. She wanted the size, the colour, the spread, the clarity and she wanted it all at a certain price. If the trade off was a reduction in light performance - then so be it.

That being said I don’t think you are making that kind of compromise at all. While it’s possible to find a stone with a smaller bow tie out there, if you love this one (truly, not forcing yourself to love it) I think enjoying it is what you should do! How you feel about it is what matters!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results