shape
carat
color
clarity

Help in deciding between 2 Rand diamonds...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

slayerav

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

I wanted to run a couple of diamonds by the experts on this board (you guys are all great!).

I have picked out two round-brilliants, both being Rand Diamonds, so I expect them to be cut well. Both have GIA certs.

Diamond 1
----------
1.01 Ct
6.50mm x 6.63mm x 3.95mm
G
VS2
60.2% depth
55% table
thin to medium girdle
no culet
Very Good symmetry
Excellent polish
no flourescence

Diamond 2
----------
1.07 Ct
6.65mm x 6.69mm x 4.05mm
F
SI1
60.7% depth
55% table
medium girdle
no culet
Excellent symmetry
Very Good polish
no flourescence

Both diamonds are roughly the same price, through a B&M store that I like and think I can trust.

Based on this GIA info, I know it''s not possible to say how exactly well cut they are (or aren''t).

Opinions? Comments? All appreciated!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
As you said, it''s hard to say much with the info provided. I guess I would be inclined to go with the second one since the the measurements seem tighter. There''s only a .04 mm difference in the diameter rather than .13 difference. Just be sure that the SI1 is eyeclean. Hope that helps.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id go with the second. The measurments make me think it''s more symmetrical. The first one has a .1 difference between the length and width.

slayerav

Rough_Rock
Good points. I''ll have to check out the SI1 stone with a loupe a little more carefully.

slayerav

Rough_Rock
Hi guys!

I took another look at the SI1 stone and found the inclusion... but only under magnification can it be seen. I decided to go with the #2 diamond above. The jeweler offered to run it through the Sarin machine before I bought it, and it appears to be a great stone!

However, of course, it has one potential flaw... the GIA reports an Extremely Thin to Medium girdle. arrgghh. I am taking it to an independent appraiser Monday to take a look, mainly for insurance purposes, but now also to take a look at the girdle. I have all fingers and toes crossed that the Ext Thin part is very small in area. The Sarin numbers below appear, at least to me, to be good, even the girdle thickness.

Can any of the experts here provide some more "color commentary" to these numbers, both overall and specifically the girdle number?

Weight - 1.07ct
Diam - 6.65mm - 6.70mm (6.67mm)
Roundness - 0.7%
Total Depth - 60.9%
Table Size - 55.5%
Crown Angle - 33.9
Crown Height - 15.1%
Girdle Thick. - 2.4
Pavilion Angle - 41.0
Pavilion Depth - 43.2%
Culet - 1.6%

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don''t know exaclty what sort of ''color commentary'' you are looking for on this stone, but i will say that it looks like you picked a winner!
36.gif
the sarin numbers look great, you should have a very bright and lively stone. congratulations!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
belle is right, that should be one gorgeous stone!!! Congrats!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results